Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 07:11 AM

470 posts, read 1,655,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguyfrompluto View Post
Another Hartford Project...
I-84 Hartford Project
The FAQ on this page says this project can take anywhere from 12-17 YEARS to complete.

Yikes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 08:51 AM

21,536 posts, read 27,777,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The amount real estate projects and investments that will flood into Hartford is in the tens of billions...
Uh huh. Good luck with that.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:11 AM

79 posts, read 111,087 times
I've always thought that a highspeed rail from New York to Boston with stops in Bridgeport, Hartford, New Haven and Worcester could do wonders for these decaying cities.

In Spain they have the AVE which connects Madrid to Seville a distance of 330 miles in 2 hours and 20 minutes. Something similar could connect Hartford to New York and Boston in under an hour.

If you could reach Manhattan or central Boston under an hour for a reasonable price, I'm sure you could get some people commuting to and from Hartford, bring much needed investment to the area and helping the local real estate market. Imagine being able to work in Manhattan or Boston and live in the much cheaper Hartford area.

An added bonus of convenient connections to NYC and Boston would be that the Hartford area wouldn't be so isolated. People often talk how close it is to NYC and Boston, but driving into NYC is often a pain with the traffic. The Amtrak service is slow and Metronorth is even slower.

However, with the NIMBYs in CT I could never see such an ambitious project happening. The people who stay in CT seem to hate change of any sort. I remember in West Hartford when people were against something as small as Blue Back Square. It's a shame though, because I think the exodus of young people from the Hartford area will continue until something radical is done.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:48 PM

38 posts, read 36,585 times
Quote:
It will be safer and less traffic congested...I want to know how Connecticut is going to get 7 billion if they decide to build a tunnel through Downtown Hartford, and Malloy likes that idea.
First off, the cost is 1 billion. Second, Hartford dosent need a 1 billion dollar project. Why would Malloy spend 1 billion to build a tunnel ? They are already spending 600 million to rebuild Waterbury, that isn't needed. CTDOT is really wasting their money; however it is better than spending their money on buses that 1 person rides every day. Good jon CTDOT

Old 02-05-2014, 12:23 PM

34,687 posts, read 56,476,753 times
Quote:
It will be safer and less traffic congested...I want to know how Connecticut is going to get 7 billion if they decide to build a tunnel through Downtown Hartford, and Malloy likes that idea.
This project is just beginning to be planned and studied. What it will be and the cost has not been determined. It has also not been determined how it will be paid for. It is a good project to watch though but it will be years before anything will be built. Jay

Old 10-01-2016, 09:34 PM

167 posts, read 124,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I never said it did. It talks about the thinking that was going on back then. Major employers were looking to move out of the city center and the city had to react. Urban renewal was a way to clear out bad neighborhoods like Front Street in Hartford and allow companies to build buildings right in the city rather than flee to the suburbs. Even with this, a few major employers like Connecticut Mutual, the Hartford and Aetna built suburban complexes for expansion rather than building in the city. Without the highways for car access even more would likely have left.

It is easy to look back and say, they should have done this or they should have done that but there were good reasons for doing what was done with the highways and other planning efforts. We should not judge decisions made based on today's thinking but rather we should try and understand the mindset then. Jay
I was browsing through old DoNo threads and found this great thread. Just want to say, great discussion here, great posts, very informative. Yep, judging 60 years old decisions can be tricky.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:02 PM

413 posts, read 312,459 times
The tunnel cost is around 10 billion. I would assume that the majority of the money would come from the feds as the roads are part of the interstate highway system.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:24 PM

6,295 posts, read 11,015,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
The tunnel cost is around 10 billion. I would assume that the majority of the money would come from the feds as the roads are part of the interstate highway system.
It should but may not happen. In Cincinnati they've been trying to replace the existing Skip Spence Bridge that spans the OH River into northern KY from Cincinnati. The Feds are telling the States of OH and KY they can't spend 2 to 3 billion on the project (Federal funds) because they funds don't exist.

Larson's idea is probably a pipe dream and won't happen unless the State comes up with the money. And given the current state of the fiscal crisis that exists in Hartford I doubt that will happen. And also, cost overruns should easily double the initial 10 billion cost estimates to 20 billion. A conservative estimate if you compare this project to the Big Dig in Boston. Initial proposal was something like 2.5 billion but the project ultimately cost 14 billion to complete.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:11 PM

34,687 posts, read 56,476,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
It should but may not happen. In Cincinnati they've been trying to replace the existing Skip Spence Bridge that spans the OH River into northern KY from Cincinnati. The Feds are telling the States of OH and KY they can't spend 2 to 3 billion on the project (Federal funds) because they funds don't exist.

Larson's idea is probably a pipe dream and won't happen unless the State comes up with the money. And given the current state of the fiscal crisis that exists in Hartford I doubt that will happen. And also, cost overruns should easily double the initial 10 billion cost estimates to 20 billion. A conservative estimate if you compare this project to the Big Dig in Boston. Initial proposal was something like 2.5 billion but the project ultimately cost 14 billion to complete.
Do you mean the Brent Spence Bridge? Skip Spence is a deceased musican. Brent Spence is a former Senator. Big difference. I am not sure why that Cincinnati project is having trouble with federal funding. Each state receives a certain amount of money each year from the Federal Highway Trust Fund to build projects. It is up to the state to determine what projects get that funding. If the states feel the project is important they can use a portion of their federal allocation to funds its design and construction. This is how Connecticut funded the Q Bridge in New Haven. It was their top project for a number of years so a lot of Federal construction money went to it each year.

The alternative to build a tunnel to replace the Aetna viaduct in Hartford is dead. The Governor and CTDOT announced two weeks ago that the so called "at-grade" alternative is the preferred one they will be pursuing. It is not really an at-grade alternative though. It constructs the highway below grade so that city streets can pass over the highway. It also relocates the rail line (and the train station) so there is no need for the large viaduct structures to cross both local roadways and the rail line. This is a lot less expensive than the tunnel proposal but more than another rehab of the viaduct. It seems like the proposal most people are happy with so it looks like it should go forward. The state now has to figure out how to fund the project since it will need a lot of state and federal money to construct. They are hoping to build it over a couple of year period so that has to work into the equation. We will see. Jay

Old 10-03-2016, 03:05 PM

6,295 posts, read 11,015,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Do you mean the Brent Spence Bridge? Skip Spence is a deceased musican. Brent Spence is a former Senator. Big difference. I am not sure why that Cincinnati project is having trouble with federal funding. Each state receives a certain amount of money each year from the Federal Highway Trust Fund to build projects. It is up to the state to determine what projects get that funding. If the states feel the project is important they can use a portion of their federal allocation to funds its design and construction. This is how Connecticut funded the Q Bridge in New Haven. It was their top project for a number of years so a lot of Federal construction money went to it each year.

The alternative to build a tunnel to replace the Aetna viaduct in Hartford is dead. The Governor and CTDOT announced two weeks ago that the so called "at-grade" alternative is the preferred one they will be pursuing. It is not really an at-grade alternative though. It constructs the highway below grade so that city streets can pass over the highway. It also relocates the rail line (and the train station) so there is no need for the large viaduct structures to cross both local roadways and the rail line. This is a lot less expensive than the tunnel proposal but more than another rehab of the viaduct. It seems like the proposal most people are happy with so it looks like it should go forward. The state now has to figure out how to fund the project since it will need a lot of state and federal money to construct. They are hoping to build it over a couple of year period so that has to work into the equation. We will see. Jay
I call it the Skip Spence Bridge because of the Great Grape the replacement project has become.:-) For some reason McConnell and formerly Boehner were unable to secure the Federal part of the money to move forward. No concrete reasons were given other than they were apparently told, the money is not there for a project of this nature.

Wonder if the design for I 84 that is being used now could work on I 91? Or does the flood wall along the CT River present an issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut