Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 03:18 PM

15 posts, read 17,628 times

Advertisements

I am a young adult thinking about moving from Maine to Connecticut. I have a lot of family there and loved visiting since I was a child. I really don't even want to consider moving anywhere else but I know I need to be realistic.
So what I'm asking is, is it really as expensive as everyone makes it out to be? Whenever I visit, I visit Southington/Bristol/Meriden area and I love it there. I would really like to move to that area. I would be moving with my boyfriend and we would have a good amount of money for a down payment on a house. Or we could get an apartment, but the apartments seem to be a lot of money for the little amount of sqr ft of the aparments. I've been looking at houses and found some that we could afford but my only worry are all the taxes. I know property taxes can be pretty crazy.
I'm just wondering if there's anyone who has packed up and started fresh before in Connecticut and has done well? Or if anyone thinks it's a horrible idea and I'll be just barely scrapping by? Please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 03:32 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,586 times
I think it comes down to how much money will you make in connecticut. If you are making at least the in the low six figures, you will be fine. If a lot less than that, I would think long and hard before moving.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:47 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,651 times
Umm, house swap? kidding, my wife can't handle the cold much more north than CT but Maine is beautiful.

CT is indeed expensive. I didn't realize just how expensive because I moved here from Long Island, NY which is one of the most expensive places in the US. My wife already lived here (and grew up here) so it was only "starting fresh" for me. We do pretty well for our age, but the money does not go as far as it would in other parts of the country.

We live in Southington, and it is a reasonably affordable area. Our house is 325k and the cost to run our house (mortgage,taxes,utilities) is well over 3k/month. That's a lot of money, but if you had a house in Naugatuck or Waterbury you would be paying another 300 a month in taxes. For CT in general, the nicer the town, the lower the tax rate. Finding that sweet spot between cost-0f-house/cost-of-taxes involves a good amount of research and comparing towns and homes on realtor.com.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 02-02-2014 at 05:16 PM..

Old 02-02-2014, 04:12 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
It's impossible for anyone to answer your question without knowing your personal finances.

Ask yourself these questions. You'll need stable jobs- one for you and one for him. What does the job situation look like in the area to which you want to move? Can you transfer with the employers you have now or do you have to start over ? Don't move without employment.

In addition to a down payment on a house, you'll also need several thousand put aside for closing costs, etc. Plus a little bit more for a pad for emergency house expenses.

Do you qualify for a mortgage ? Sit down with a couple of lenders and have them run your finances and tell you if they would pre-approve you for a mortgage. If they say yes and give you a mortgage amount, then all well and good. You'll know where to start. If they say no because of credit problems, lack of funds, etc. then you'll know what you a have to work on to eventually qualify for a house.

Just remember, jobs first. Good luck

Old 02-02-2014, 04:18 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
I think it comes down to how much money will you make in connecticut. If you are making at least the in the low six figures, you will be fine. If a lot less than that, I would think long and hard before moving.
I think a childless couple would have no problem making it on less than 6 figures in the targeted area.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:51 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
That area is reasonable for Connecticut, price wise. Much cheaper than many spots, especially southwest CT. It is still pricier than Maine by quite a bit though.

What are you doing for work? That's important to consider as that location kind of limits you to a certain area for employment.

That area is also not terribly full of young people if going out and socializing is important to you.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:49 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,267 times
Connecticut does have income, sales, and personal property (namely car) taxes. I don't know the tax rates in any of those communities, other than to hazard a guess that Southington is lowest and Meriden is highest, but real estate listings typically include estimated tax numbers.

On other measures of cost of living - I have lived in several states along the east coast, and find car insurance rates to be middle of the road here in CT, while groceries, utilities, fuel costs are on the high side.

Also, buying a house involves a lot more than your mortgage payment - maintenance can cost an arm and a leg too. We had to replace our HVAC a few years ago to the tune of $6,500.... now, our roof is coming to the end of its life... it's never ending.

I moved here when I was 24. The cost of living was a big adjustment - moving to a new state isn't cheap, rent isn't cheap, going out in New Haven and meeting new friends wasn't cheap either. I have done really well here but know others who have struggled and left.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:59 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
You can get a little house in Bristol for under 100K. MUCH cheaper than renting. But what kind of work can the two of you do, what kind of earnings do you expect?

Old 02-03-2014, 06:09 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I think a childless couple would have no problem making it on less than 6 figures in the targeted area.
I completely agree.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:04 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
You can "make it" if your comfortable with just "making it". Sure. I could "make it" in Manhattan too (probably) but quality of life would suck.

OP really needs to look in the mirror and find out exactly what is is he/she wants in life. I like vacationing in Belize, but I would never want to live there. Just because you like coming here once or twice a year doesn't necessarily mean you want it to be your daily grind. or maybe you do. If you want it badly, you will be able to "make it" for sure. But it's going to be a very different way of life. I have been to Maine a few times, albeit in more rural areas to go hiking/snowboarding, like the towns around Mt Katahdin, Acadia National Park, Sugarloaf, etc. Not sure if your in areas like those or not.

If where you live in Maine is just too small-town and quiet and your looking for a life that's faster paced and the additional expenses are worth it to YOU, then move. On here you will get a lot of opinions but they are just that and only apply specifically to the person your asking. Ask me if I would continue to live here and I will say no. Ask one person who has left and they will say they regret it and can't wait to move back. Ask another person who has left and they will say they never looked back.....

What field do you work in? does CT have ample job opportunity/security in that industry? What does CT typically pay for the line of work your in?

Last edited by Sigequinox; 02-03-2014 at 07:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut