Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 06:08 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,951,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I like Jake's Wayback much better than Five Guys. And most indie burger places much better than both.
Have you ever tried Ted's in Meriden (or their newer location in Cromwell)? Nothing beat them for a cheeseburger!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 07:39 AM

1,926 posts, read 2,019,216 times
The place in the Danbury mall is called the Burger Joint, I think. I had a one track mind for Chipotle the last time I was there, but I'd like to try it out.

I am also more excited for the chick fil a in Brookfield than I should be.

Anyway, I can't think of a location other than Wallingford/North Haven that is convenient enough to Middletown and also has access to each of the chains that OP is looking for. I would not commute from a more distant location just because it offered access to those places.

Last edited by hvexpatinct; 02-05-2014 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: correct error

Old 02-05-2014, 08:17 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,206,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
The place in the Danbury mall is called the Burger Joint, I think.
Yes! That's it. Thank you. It was really good and a nice option -- not food court style, and not quite sit down restaurant either I definitely will go back

Old 02-05-2014, 01:37 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,735,587 times
I wouldn't sacrifice a longer daily commute to live a little closer to out-of-state relatives. Middletown offers most of what you're looking for. Living closer to work and staying out of your car gives you more time together and a higher quality of life. As others have said Middletown offers many rental opportunities.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:47 PM

34,675 posts, read 56,455,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3onexolove View Post
I was leaning against Middletown, since it is farther from some of the restaurants/shops we want to be close to, but I will still look into it. What parts of Middletown should we avoid?

Any other suburbs close by that you would recommend?
I am not sure why you do not want Middletown. It is not that far from amjor shopping and has a lot to offer. I see your BF will be stationed at the new Army Reserve Center on Smith Street which is right along side of I-91. The West Lake area is right on the other side of I-91. He could walk it if he wanted to. There are a lot of apartments and condos there and it is a good place to consider while you get to know the area better. Middletown itself has a lot of shopping and restaurants as does nearby Cromwell (Walmart, Kmart, Lowes), Berlin (Target, Home Depot) and Meriden (Target, MAcy's). Middletown is also ver convenient to major employment centers in Hartford, New Haven, Waterbury and even eastern Fairfield County. You should not have too much trouble finding a job nearby. Middletown has a small hospital and a bunch of doctor's offices. Good luck and welcome to Connecticut. Jay

Old 02-05-2014, 02:13 PM

4,713 posts, read 5,921,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not sure why you do not want Middletown. It is not that far from amjor shopping and has a lot to offer. I see your BF will be stationed at the new Army Reserve Center on Smith Street which is right along side of I-91. The West Lake area is right on the other side of I-91. He could walk it if he wanted to. There are a lot of apartments and condos there and it is a good place to consider while you get to know the area better. Middletown itself has a lot of shopping and restaurants as does nearby Cromwell (Walmart, Kmart, Lowes), Berlin (Target, Home Depot) and Meriden (Target, MAcy's). Middletown is also ver convenient to major employment centers in Hartford, New Haven, Waterbury and even eastern Fairfield County. You should not have too much trouble finding a job nearby. Middletown has a small hospital and a bunch of doctor's offices. Good luck and welcome to Connecticut. Jay
Not to mention, you'll have CVS and Walgreens in Cromwell between KMart and Lowes, and two CVS' and two Walgreens in Middletown, including a 24 Hour CVS.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:39 PM

21,529 posts, read 27,771,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
Have you ever tried Ted's in Meriden (or their newer location in Cromwell)? Nothing beat them for a cheeseburger!
Nope, I've definitely heard of it though - I'll have to try it. A lot of great little burger shacks in CT: Lake Zoar Drive-In, Mr. Mac's Canteen, Goodies, Louis Lunch, Sycamore, etc. in addition to gourmet places like Prime 16, Plan B, Max Burger, Flipside, Dive Bar, Bare Burger, etc!

Old 03-16-2014, 01:35 PM

15 posts, read 25,597 times
Default Thanks! Anymore feedback??

Thanks on all the feedback. Still have trouble trying to find an area we would like to live in. I really like Wallingford, esperically the cute downtown area but havn't found any rentals that suites our needs. We want a house or townhouse under 2000. A lot of places say no pets, which is a deal breaker for us. It seems a lot of people recommend Middletown itself. It just doesn't seem as nice as some other towns close by. I want a safe area, a lot of shopping, restaurants, grocery stores, cvs, target, super walmart close by (within 15) minutes as I hate to drive. Good chance for jobs for myself (currently I work in a doctor's office). We need to be within 30 minutes of the new army reserve center on smith street. I heard good things about wallingford, north haven, chesire, farmington, glastonbury and to avoid meriden and hamden. Anyone have more feedback and suggestions? Thank you so far for all the help!

Old 03-16-2014, 01:40 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,769,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3onexolove View Post
I heard good things about wallingford, north haven, chesire, farmington, glastonbury and to avoid meriden and hamden. Anyone have more feedback and suggestions? Thank you so far for all the help!
Hamden isn't any less safe than Middletown. I'm not sure why you would be told to avoid it.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:19 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,703,369 times
Hamden schools tend to under perform so posters tend to suggest other towns for families with children.

However, you don't seem to have kiddos so there is no reason to avoid Hamden. Except for a couple of neighborhoods adjacent to the city of New Haven, it's safe. Lots of shopping, it's convenient to highways, etc. and any additional big box stores and Longhorn in adjacent North Haven.

I really think your best bet is in Middletown. but maybe something like this in Hamden.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/apa/4373671249.html- gas heat too- yeah !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut