Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 03:53 PM

720 posts, read 911,037 times

Advertisements

17 Reasons Why Connecticut Residents are Moving Out of State - CT Boom

kind of funny but not really...

The professional sports totally agree, we have nothing, zilch, zero!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 03:56 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,916,542 times
Yet another "everyone is leaving CT" thread...

Old 02-04-2014, 07:50 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,456,804 times
This again. Yes people are leaving. More will come, called life.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:52 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,948,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
17 Reasons Why Connecticut Residents are Moving Out of State - CT Boom

kind of funny but not really...

The professional sports totally agree, we have nothing, zilch, zero!
The author of this article confuses professional sports with major league sports. Connecticut has no major league sports, just as many other states do not. However, we do have three professional baseball (New Britain, Norwich, Bridgeport) and three professional hockey (Danbury, Hartford, Bridgeport) teams in the state.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:32 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,827,207 times
Reason #17 is the only legit one IMO.

But seriously, I can't begin to tell you how many people that I went to high school with have simply left the state. Even I still think about it to this day. Heck, a few of my friends are contemplating it as well. There are many reasons as to why. CT's median age is 40, which is higher than the national median age of 37. There aren't many young people left. College graduates are fleeing. Gays are fleeing (I know this because I can run searches for profiles of men under 35 on dating websites and calculate the proportion of gay profiles to the total state population; and it's less than most other states, which is sad). Young families are fleeing. Our ranking in education is plummeting, jobs are now scarce, the cost of living is too high, very unfriendly business environment, taxes are too high, the politicians are not that great and the state overall just has a bland, boring vibe, except for a few trite spots here and there (NH, SoNo, WeHa).

The infrastructure is aged and hasn't seen any new roads or rail lines in AGES. Old money controls the infrastructure in Fairfield County. No one wants to upgrade U.S. 7 to an expressway because it will degrade the value of their damn property. Yet they complain about the traffic. Instead, the state wastes $600M on an unwanted busway between New Britain and Hartford.

Gay bars are closing down more than opening up. Triangles, Cedar Brook, and other bars that used to exist in Waterbury and New Haven are now closed. The Chez Est in Hartford used to be PACKED back in the day; now it's dead. Polo Club used to be pretty good, now it's 98% ghetto bling bling. Only one has opened in recent times (Trevi) and it attracts an older crowd. There are two gay bars in New London; both are practically dead or have older men only. It's just sad.

I didn't list the weather, because that's very subjective and I actually like four seasons now.

But there are serious problems with this state, and growth is much slower than the national average. It's becoming a state full of families and old people.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:37 PM

38 posts, read 36,495 times
Lol this article makes me laugh. All these reasons are stupid, alright maybe 17 is true. Why would people leave if there is no professional sports teams? It is a 1 1/2 hour drive from New Haven to Yankee Stadium. Oh wait, they are sitting in 36 hours worth of traffic on I-95.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:43 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,827,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace105 View Post
Lol this article makes me laugh. All these reasons are stupid, alright maybe 17 is true. Why would people leave if there is no professional sports teams? It is a 1 1/2 hour drive from New Haven to Yankee Stadium. Oh wait, they are sitting in 36 hours worth of traffic on I-95.
Well, it is kind of pathetic that Hartford doesn't have a sports team anymore. Heck, even smaller metros like Buffalo and Syracuse have nationally recognized sports teams that are NOT college teams. WHY NOT HARTFORD???

Old 02-04-2014, 09:00 PM

38 posts, read 36,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, it is kind of pathetic that Hartford doesn't have a sports team anymore. Heck, even smaller metros like Buffalo and Syracuse have nationally recognized sports teams that are NOT college teams. WHY NOT HARTFORD???
There was a thread created about it in the past...Hartford was "supposed" to be an NHL team or something like that but CT governor declined it. I dont know...look through the pages to find out.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:09 PM

704 posts, read 1,784,292 times
Where are the moving? North Carolina? Texas?

Old 02-04-2014, 09:11 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,402,055 times
Wow. IMO there is so much wrong with CT and planning the big leave consumes 80% of my daydreaming and free time, but instead of rehashing what Nep321 said, and dignifying this thread by adding more, I'm just going to say "that is the dumbest list....ever."

Fail. Abort. Abort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut