Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 05:56 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
+420
Your credit score?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 07:23 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'm sorry-- but if you travel some place just to smoke week-- you're a loser. Even though I think It should be legalized, I think I'll pass on this plan on ethical grounds. Pot isn't without it's risks and it certainly hasn't enhanced the success of anyone who smokes it.
A much bigger political discussion, but at least people that use weed don't regularly kill others with a moving vehicle, nor does it encourage bar fights, domestic abuse, nor is it as carcinogenic as cigarettes. Yet those things are legal.

Illegal drug sales are a big part of why gangs and urban violence exists and our jails are overpopulated. The most realistic harm it has is to most users is a lack of motivation, but that only comes to those who abuse it. Just like alcohol.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgmrg View Post
Agreed. Hilarious at the thought of one poster that the weed tourists will visit the Yale galleries and Mystic. Have they seen the people traveling to and even moving to Colorado because of its weed policies? I doubt they are art or shipbuilding aficionadi.
I was taking liberties on the tourist attractions. Didn't you sense the quasi-sarcasm?

Old 02-06-2014, 08:29 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
A much bigger political discussion, but at least people that use weed don't regularly kill others with a moving vehicle, nor does it encourage bar fights, domestic abuse, nor is it as carcinogenic as cigarettes. Yet those things are legal.

Illegal drug sales are a big part of why gangs and urban violence exists and our jails are overpopulated. The most realistic harm it has is to most users is a lack of motivation, but that only comes to those who abuse it. Just like alcohol.
I agree with you on this. I do agree with mlassoff that people who use the drug are losers, and people who will relocate to a place just so they can alter their mind are not people I want myself or my loved ones around. That being said, a pothead is just that: a pothead. They are not likely to steal, hurt or kill (heck, they don't even speed when they drive!). They eat. They watch TV. They laugh. They sleep. Not my kind of person, but not my kind of enemy either.

Additionally, anyone who says there is no medical use for the drug is just plain wrong. I don't know how else to say it. A very good friend of mine who suffered from gastrointestinal issues since college used to lay awake at night moaning in pain. Today, he has a script for the stuff and said he feels like a new person. And he's a very successful Silicon Valley nerd.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:57 PM

468 posts, read 708,395 times
How I feel about medical marijuana: the day that they isolate the positive medical benefits of THC from its ability to get people high (and they're working on this!) is the day that medical marijuana use drops precipitously. Which is not to say that it has no legitimate use.

Stylo, clearly I missed the sarcasm. Although I can actually see a stoner enjoying an afternoon at the Yale gallery, now that I've given it some further thought.

Weed may not be as bad as alcohol, but there's some research showing that it is in fact linked with significant impairments in driving ability. (Anyone who has ever been very stoned can attest to this!) It's not an area that has received as much attention as alcohol because, alcohol being legal, it's a much bigger issue and it's not as easy to accurately test for THC levels, as in a Breathalyzer.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:18 PM

I'm not a big weed guy and never have been, but have done it sporadically in the past - and it's really not impairing like alcohol with driving unless you smoke A LOT. Back in the day, I remember the 2nd time I smoked and wasn't used to it and had too much - I got all kinds of weird effects. Frame vision, lost sense of time, etc. I could NEVER have driven at that point. But unlike alcohol, a normal amount won't make you a dangerous weapon on the road. Most stoned drivers just drive really slowly. That said, it is NOT a good idea to drive on anything that alters your mind - including weed.

I have a friend that suffers from a lot of anxiety and it helps her a lot.

I've never sought it out. I'm just not an addictive type with any substance, luckily. Maybe Indian food and fast cars.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:26 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Apparently we are a "hipster" zone. Legalization of weed should follow. It is me or is the Courant trying to spin everything into a positive? The second paragraph states {paraphrase} that CT attracts more people from King County into CT than King Country pulls out; however, the overall people that move to CT is 77,000 and the overall people that leave is 94,000. THAT IS A NET LOSS! lol

Connecticut Is Hip? State Attracts Residents From Trendiest Areas - Courant.com

Old 02-10-2014, 12:53 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Apparently we are a "hipster" zone. Legalization of weed should follow. It is me or is the Courant trying to spin everything into a positive? The second paragraph states {paraphrase} that CT attracts more people from King County into CT than King Country pulls out; however, the overall people that move to CT is 77,000 and the overall people that leave is 94,000. THAT IS A NET LOSS! lol

Connecticut Is Hip? State Attracts Residents From Trendiest Areas - Courant.com
I think you are missing the point. Connecticut attracts more people from certain areas then it sends back to them. This includes Seattle and New York. Interesting since those areas are usually considered a location that the top people are moving to. Overall Connecticut has more people moving out than in but this has a lot to do with retirees. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut