Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:16 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I couldn't think of the name of it, but my good buddy is gay and that's how he met his current fiance a few years back. It's an app you download on your phone and you can see others around you. He said there is one for lesbians too.
They also have Tindr for straight people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 09:22 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
They also have Tindr for straight people.
Hey, whatever works!

Old 02-11-2014, 10:55 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I couldn't think of the name of it, but my good buddy is gay and that's how he met his current fiance a few years back. It's an app you download on your phone and you can see others around you. He said there is one for lesbians too.
There's a bunch of them. Grindr is the main one, but there are others like Jack'd and Scruff, but I just use Grindr because 95% of the guys on those apps are also on Grindr, often at the same time anyway. So I don't need to have 3 apps open at once. Besides, Jack'd and Scruff are cumbersome to use, even though Grindr crashes too often. It's still the best IMO.

Certainly, I have been to non-gay bars, of course. But not for the purpose of meeting other gays.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:47 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
There's a bunch of them. Grindr is the main one, but there are others like Jack'd and Scruff, but I just use Grindr because 95% of the guys on those apps are also on Grindr, often at the same time anyway. So I don't need to have 3 apps open at once. Besides, Jack'd and Scruff are cumbersome to use, even though Grindr crashes too often. It's still the best IMO.

Certainly, I have been to non-gay bars, of course. But not for the purpose of meeting other gays.
Well that's good.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:52 AM

9 posts, read 9,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
My partner and I never go to gay bars. Why? Because there is no place we feel unwelcome. So why not go someplace with better food, better service, and a more diverse group of people... Truthfully, if we go out, it's mostly to eat or meet other couple-friends.

I think with online dating, and discrimination against gays coming to a rapid hault, gay bars have just become passe.
Mm I agree. No need for specific "gay bars" anymore hehe

Old 02-12-2014, 08:32 AM

82 posts, read 113,579 times
CT isn't really great for young single people gay or straight, so I'm not surprised that gay bars don't do well there. However, the trend of many gay bars closing is happening even in larger cities (Splash in NYC just closed). CT in general is very gay friendly and people tend to live and let live, however most of the gay people I knew of in the area tend to be couples who don't go out too much. I remember 8/9 years ago, Chez and Polo were packed on Friday and Saturday nights. The last time I went out in Hartford (2011) they were both dead and very ghetto.

If you want a place with a good gay scene you're going to have to move to one of the 10 largest metropolitan areas in the country (NYC, Chicago, San Francisco etc.). Even many mid-size cities (Columbus, Minneapolis etc.) are a bit lackluster when it comes to nightlife.

Interestingly enough in Fort Lauderdale where I live there are always new gay bars popping up, but I think that's mostly because it's warm all year and people like to go bar hopping. Also, being a vacation destination, gay tourists are always here and like to go out.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1981 View Post
CT isn't really great for young single people gay or straight, so I'm not surprised that gay bars don't do well there. However, the trend of many gay bars closing is happening even in larger cities (Splash in NYC just closed). CT in general is very gay friendly and people tend to live and let live, however most of the gay people I knew of in the area tend to be couples who don't go out too much. I remember 8/9 years ago, Chez and Polo were packed on Friday and Saturday nights. The last time I went out in Hartford (2011) they were both dead and very ghetto.

If you want a place with a good gay scene you're going to have to move to one of the 10 largest metropolitan areas in the country (NYC, Chicago, San Francisco etc.). Even many mid-size cities (Columbus, Minneapolis etc.) are a bit lackluster when it comes to nightlife.

Interestingly enough in Fort Lauderdale where I live there are always new gay bars popping up, but I think that's mostly because it's warm all year and people like to go bar hopping. Also, being a vacation destination, gay tourists are always here and like to go out.
Yeah exactly. Well, I don't care to go to bars at all anyway. But what would be nice is to have plenty of other gay singles in the area to date. At my age (29) I'm totally ready to settle down into a relationship. But unfortunately, CT just doesn't have a large enough single gay population aged 25-34 (my target dating age range). And I want someone who is educated and compatible with me in other various ways. It's just very challenging and I don't see anything materializing ever if I do stay in CT. It seems like I have to make one of the following choices: (a) stay in CT and possibly be single forever, (b) relocate to a new area with a larger gay population and hopefully have a better chance at finding someone, or (c) settle down for someone who I'm not all that interested in, here in CT.

NYC is about an hour away, which honestly IMO is a bit too far for regular dating. But then again, I even lived in NYC for two years and still didn't find a mate. So I'm not sure that population size matters.

I would love to be able to stay in CT if I found someone to settle down with and eventually marry. But I'm just being realistic....it's extremely difficult. And it's often frustrating to see others my age who are happily partnered. Despite the opinions that people have of me on this forum, I do believe that I am a quality guy.

And then there's the third factor: my job. Today, I received my performance evaluation and the verdict is that I "exceed expectations." So basically, I'm living in a situation where my career is doing fine, I'm not crazy about living in the area, and I really don't believe I will find a partner anytime soon. But what am I supposed to do? Move to "increase" my chances of finding a partner? That's not even guaranteed. And it might mean having to live somewhere that I personally am not crazy about. So many trade offs.

Fortunately, I just found out that my insurance covers unlimited therapist visits, with no co-pay or deductible. I'll be making an appointment soon. I just need someone to tell me what to do at this point.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:17 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:

Fortunately, I just found out that my insurance covers unlimited therapist visits, with no co-pay or deductible. I'll be making an appointment soon. I just need someone to tell me what to do at this point.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:01 PM

Lmao!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:20 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Yeah exactly. Well, I don't care to go to bars at all anyway. But what would be nice is to have plenty of other gay singles in the area to date. At my age (29) I'm totally ready to settle down into a relationship. But unfortunately, CT just doesn't have a large enough single gay population aged 25-34 (my target dating age range). And I want someone who is educated and compatible with me in other various ways. It's just very challenging and I don't see anything materializing ever if I do stay in CT. It seems like I have to make one of the following choices: (a) stay in CT and possibly be single forever, (b) relocate to a new area with a larger gay population and hopefully have a better chance at finding someone, or (c) settle down for someone who I'm not all that interested in, here in CT.

NYC is about an hour away, which honestly IMO is a bit too far for regular dating. But then again, I even lived in NYC for two years and still didn't find a mate. So I'm not sure that population size matters.

I would love to be able to stay in CT if I found someone to settle down with and eventually marry. But I'm just being realistic....it's extremely difficult. And it's often frustrating to see others my age who are happily partnered. Despite the opinions that people have of me on this forum, I do believe that I am a quality guy.

And then there's the third factor: my job. Today, I received my performance evaluation and the verdict is that I "exceed expectations." So basically, I'm living in a situation where my career is doing fine, I'm not crazy about living in the area, and I really don't believe I will find a partner anytime soon. But what am I supposed to do? Move to "increase" my chances of finding a partner? That's not even guaranteed. And it might mean having to live somewhere that I personally am not crazy about. So many trade offs.

You need to find a therapist that takes your insurance. They should be convenient to your home or office so you can get there easily from work or home. Call your insurance company or go online for them. Good luck, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut