Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:00 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Who's jumping down who's throat? Did you not, using sarcastically snotty and condescending words, initially quote two posters here accusing them of being disrespectful and lying? Come again?
I think if I discuss the weather you imagine it as snotty and condescending. I pointed out the OP was writing about the people shopping in Walmart in a very nasty fashion.

You feel the need to defend that apparently. Or just the need to take the opposite position I do... on everything.

Quote:
I didn't say anything about immigrants.
That's right, you didn't. You went to bat for Nep, who did.

These are personal attacks not substantive to the original post, Kid.

Quote:
Oh okay. Then you go home to Westport, right?
What's your point? Everyone who lives in Westport is some kind of hypocrite? That's absurd. I have to live in Bridgeport to respect the people who live there? Are you nuts?

Or do you think living in Westport (which is where I grew up -- I guess people can't live in their hometown in your world) is some type of general pox? Only conservatives, like yourself, can live here without being hypocrites?

These are personal attacks, and not substantive to the original post, Kid.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:05 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
What's your point? Everyone who lives in Westport is some kind of hypocrite? That's absurd. I have to live in Bridgeport to respect the people who live there? Are you nuts?

Or do you think living in Westport (which is where I grew up -- I guess people can't live in their hometown in your world) is some type of general pox? Only conservatives, like yourself, can live here without being hypocrites?

These are personal attacks, and not substantive to the original post, Kid.
Sigh - you really enjoy derailing, don't you. My point is if you speak so highly of Bridgeport and belittle others for not tolerating its residents, then why don't you practice what you preach and live there? Why, exactly, is it that you don't live there?

Also, I'm not conservative. I'm very Independent. You should know that by now.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:13 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
My point is if you speak so highly of Bridgeport and belittle others for not tolerating its residents, then why don't you practice what you preach and live there? Why, exactly, is it that you don't live there?
I grew up in Westport. I like it here. We can afford to live here... Why would I live in Bridgeport? Or Madison? Or Darien?

This is the adult version of the "If you like ice cream so much, why don't you marry it argument?" and it makes no more sense coming from you than from a child.

Growing up, my mother taught me to respect EVERYONE. The cashier at Waldbaums, the guy who cut our lawn, my school bus driver, and my school principal. Everyone has value. That "smelly" immigrant shopping at Walmart is somebody's dear mother, and that guy on the street might just be a Vietnam Vet. You don't have to respect everyones choices... But you do have to respect peoples' value.

For all your bluster about my condescension, why am I reminding YOU of this?

Last edited by mlassoff; 02-23-2014 at 08:28 AM..

Old 02-23-2014, 08:29 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
I think that generally, people are respected to the degree that they act in such a way to command respect. It has nothing to do with station in life, but more about values, manners, and knowing how to behave properly. There are people up and down the economic and social spectrum who know how to behave properly, and who don't.

When I go into a store and the packages are all ripped open and thrown all over the place, I know that the store has a clientele, or some portion of clientele, who don't choose to behave with any type of respect for their fellow shoppers or the people who work in the store (who, after all, have to clean up the whole mess), and I don't respect people who act in such a manner, whether they live in Westport or Bridgeport.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I grew up in Westport. I like it here. We can afford to live here... Why would I live in Bridgeport? Or Madison? Or Darien?

This is the adult version of the "If you like ice cream so much, why don't you marry it argument?" and it makes no more sense coming from you than from a child.

Growing up, my mother taught me to respect EVERYONE. The cashier and Waldbaums, the guy who cut our lawn, my school bus driver, and my school principal. Everyone has value. That "smelly" immigrant shopping at Walmart is somebody's dear mother, and that guy on the street might just be a Vietnam Vet. You don't have to respect everyones choices... But you do have to respect peoples' value.

For all your bluster about my condescension, why am I reminding YOU of this?
You're making little sense. It's not about "respecting" people - because everyone deserves respect if they give it. It's being around (or not wanting to be around) people who are disgustingly disrespectful. Trash in the aisles, they will push their way through you without saying "excuse me", will take stuff out of your cart while your back is turned (happened to me in Branford Walmart), the parking lots are a circus and nobody returns the carts to where they belong - a little different than Trader Joes or Best Buy where everyone keeps things clean, says excuse me if they need to get around you. You get the point. It's entitlement - and chronic poverty and entitlement go hand in hand. Or am I lying about all of this, like seymourct?

Typical limo liberal - defending the poor at all costs (even if they're criminals - oh, wait seymourct, you're lying), defending their city (even if it ranks as one of the highest crime cities), claims they appreciate the city by visiting and eating out there, yet goes back to their affluent suburb to sleep at night. You must be friendly with Blumenthal.

I'm going to assume you've never been to the Stratford Walmart. If you haven't, then your posts are looking more and more foolish since you don't have a clue as to what it's like to shop there. You might want to just stop.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I think that generally, people are respected to the degree that they act in such a way to command respect. It has nothing to do with station in life, but more about values, manners, and knowing how to behave properly. There are people up and down the economic and social spectrum who know how to behave properly, and who don't.

When I go into a store and the packages are all ripped open and thrown all over the place, I know that the store has a clientele, or some portion of clientele, who don't choose to behave with any type of respect for their fellow shoppers or the people who work in the store (who, after all, have to clean up the whole mess), and I don't respect people who act in such a manner, whether they live in Westport or Bridgeport.
Well said.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:39 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
You're making little sense. It's not about "respecting" people - because everyone deserves respect if they give it. It's being around (or not wanting to be around) people who are disgustingly disrespectful. Trash in the aisles, they will push their way through you without saying "excuse me", will take stuff out of your cart while your back is turned (happened to me in Branford Walmart), the parking lots are a circus and nobody returns the carts to where they belong - a little different than Trader Joes or Best Buy where everyone keeps things clean, says excuse me if they need to get around you. You get the point. It's entitlement - and chronic poverty and entitlement go hand in hand. Or am I lying about all of this, like seymourct?

Typical limo liberal - defending the poor at all costs (even if they're criminals - oh, wait seymourct, you're lying), defending their city (even if it ranks as one of the highest crime cities), claims they appreciate the city by visiting and eating out there, yet goes back to their affluent suburb to sleep at night. You must be friendly with Blumenthal.

I'm going to assume you've never been to the Stratford Walmart. If you haven't, then your posts are looking more and more foolish since you don't have a clue as to what it's like to shop there. You might want to just stop
in that store and have a look/see with your own eyes.(Trying to steer the thread back)

If i were a rah-rah Stratford "cheerleader", i would obviously let the thread derail. But since i'm not, and this store(and the shopping plaza) is an embarrassment, let's not derail.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:41 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,555 times
I actually avoid entire shopping centers if a Walmart is located in one. Perfect example: Marshall's is one of my favorite go-to bargain destinations. Unfortunately the Danbury Marshall's is in the same strip mall as the Danbury Walmart. The typical disrespect that Walmart shoppers regularly display, spills right over to the neighbor stores. I choose to go to the Brewster, NY Marshall's instead.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:45 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
How Stratford Walmart compare to Hartford, Waterbury one

Old 02-23-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
in that store and have a look/see with your own eyes.(Trying to steer the thread back)

If i were a rah-rah Stratford "cheerleader", i would obviously let the thread derail. But since i'm not, and this store(and the shopping plaza) is an embarrassment, let's not derail.
Apologies....I'll stop the limo liberal stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut