Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:51 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibee View Post
Thanks all for the great advice/comments.

How is this option?
Live in New Haven CT and take Amtrak to Boston 4 days a week (M- Th)

Morning commute
New Haven, CT (NHV) to Boston - South Station (BOS)
4:40am - 7:58am 3 hr, 18 min

Evening commute (Boston to New haven)
4:15pm - 6:17pm 2 hr, 2 min
5:20pm - 7:21pm 2 hr, 1 min
5:35pm - 8:12pm 2 hr, 37 min

Other person will commute from New Haven to norwalk by car.

Its still hard and a super commute. We are considering this for 6 months until one of us finds a new job.
Your wife works/lives in Boston right now. And you're expecting her to do a 6 HOUR commute, 4X a week, for 6 MONTHS?

Wow. I wish i had someone that loved me that much......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 08:54 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibee View Post
Thanks all for the great advice/comments.

How is this option?
Live in New Haven CT and take Amtrak to Boston 4 days a week (M- Th)

Morning commute
New Haven, CT (NHV) to Boston - South Station (BOS)
4:40am - 7:58am 3 hr, 18 min

Evening commute (Boston to New haven)
4:15pm - 6:17pm 2 hr, 2 min
5:20pm - 7:21pm 2 hr, 1 min
5:35pm - 8:12pm 2 hr, 37 min

Other person will commute from New Haven to norwalk by car.

Its still hard and a super commute. We are considering this for 6 months until one of us finds a new job.
In addition to being impractical, that would be helaciously expensive. I think the lowest one-way fare (which won't always apply) is $69.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:26 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,469,529 times
buy a private jet and maybe it can work. otherwise someone needs to switch jobs.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:39 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
OP- do some more thinking on your "plan". That's close to six hours a day on a train. That doesn't include the time it takes to get from an apartment to the train, wait for the train and from train to office. At least another half an hour in all. So a minimum of 6.5 hours a day commuting. That's if the trains are on time, if the the weather holds up ,etc.

Then if we add up Mlassoff's Amtrak fee of $ 69 one way or $ 138 a day x 20 days a month your wife would commute. That's $ 2760 a month. I haven't even considered parking fees or cabs or bus to her office, etc. This all makes not a pretty picture, either financially or for the physical and emotional toll on your wife.

If you absolutely have to do these jobs for several months, then seriously consider getting yourself a room at an extended stay hotel, a small studio apartment, a room off Craigslist, etc. in the Norwalk area and alternate with your wife as to who drives where on Friday nights to weekend together.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:50 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
The only way to do it would be to take the train. From New London, there is a 5:30am train to Boston that takes about 2:24 to get there. At 8:30am, there is a faster train that gets to Boston's South Station around 10am, but that would only work if her hours are flexible. But, that's only 90 minutes, as opposed to 2:24. Still, that would save 2 hours a day over the earlier train.

If you lived around New London, you'd need to drive to Old Saybrook and take Shoreline East to New Haven and then Metro North to Norwalk. It's about 20 minutes from New London to Old Saybrook. You could also take Amtrak to New Haven, but that's more expensive than Shoreline East.

You could also try Westerly, RI, but then you'd take Amtrak to New Haven.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:15 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Instead of renting halfway for 6 months, why don't each of you rent tiny places close to your work place until you can find something different? I know a couple in CT - one commutes to NYC daily and one works in San Francisco daily. They see each other once a month and in 5-6 months, they will both be moving to CT and have NYC commutes. Sometimes you have to sacrifice.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:10 AM

986 posts, read 1,865,956 times
With all that money you're going to spend on commuting, wouldn't it actually save money for her NOT to work?

Old 02-24-2014, 10:29 AM

468 posts, read 708,615 times
Yeah, an Amtrak commute is going to be, what--at least $450 per week? Or about $1700-2k per month? It's cheaper, and certainly easier, for one of you to rent a studio until they can get a new job and see each other on weekends. There's just no way this is a doable split-the-difference scenario.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:31 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Instead of renting halfway for 6 months, why don't each of you rent tiny places close to your work place until you can find something different? I know a couple in CT - one commutes to NYC daily and one works in San Francisco daily. They see each other once a month and in 5-6 months, they will both be moving to CT and have NYC commutes. Sometimes you have to sacrifice.
Heck - we have neighbors where I am - the wife has a good job here in SE CT, and the husband has a great job in Shanghai. He comes to CT a few times/year for vacation, and she goes to China each summer and leaves the kids with her husband for 5-6 weeks. They've been doing that for 7 or 8 years now. (And, the salary for higher level jobs in bigger cities in China is going to be fairly close to what you can make here in the US - my wife gets contacted about jobs in China that pay more than double what she makes here in the US, even when she was in the NYC metro area. But, the first two questions she gets asked are, "how old are you?" and "are you married?" which is a bit different than here in the US...and when they find out she's over 39 and married, they're not interested any more.)

But, I had mentioned a woman that lived in Ridgefield before that is a doctor - when she was doing a fellowship at Harvard, she had an apartment in the Boston area that she lived in during the week, then would drive home to her family on the weekends.

That would probably be the best option for them. One person live in Norwalk, the other in Boston, and they can get together on the weekends. If they're both commuting 2-3 hours a day - at a minimum - they're going to be too tired to do much during the week anyhow.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:06 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,969 times
Wow, I can't believe some of the stories I am reading.

What an absolute utter waste of one's quility of life that they'll never get back. That is the perfect path to take if one wants to die of a heart attack by age 55

Just say NOOOOO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut