Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 04:45 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
This is the reason for the housing prices of Trumbull, Monroe, Newtown. All roads in Fairfield County lead to Stamford and in turn to NYC. That is why my small cape on 1/4 acre is worth about the same amount of money as my brother's house which is on 1 acre+ and is almost 2X as big.

All the young couples moving into my Trumbull neighorhood work in NYC or Westchester. They are forcing the prices up. It is just not possible to live in Newtown to have any quality of life and work in NYC or Westchester.
I would take the Newtown to Westchester (84 to 684) commute over the Trumbull to Westchester (Merritt or 95) any day of the week. It's an extra 10 miles to White Plains from Newtown but the traffic from Trumbull is many times worse.

My point was that Trumbull lacks character when comparing to other towns in Fairfield County. Housing stock isn't anything special (lots of oversized ranches and 70s-80s colonials) and the location, while convenient to highways, is not the best - as another poster said, it borders Bridgeport. Newtown borders all pristine communities without the overflow coming into town to shop at one of the worst malls in the state.

Just my opinion as someone who has lived in the area for 25 years.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 03-03-2014 at 05:03 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 04:53 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,851,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Newtown borders all pristine communities without the overflow coming into town to shop at one of the worst malls in the state.

On the subject of Monroe, they will unfortunately begin to see more overflow as well, as GBT has expanded bus service into Monroe.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:54 PM

642 posts, read 858,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
it (Trumbull) borders Bridgeport. Newtown borders all pristine
Just my opinion as someone who has lived in the area for 25 years.
I want the OP to understand about the border with Bridgeport which is true but........

everyone one here says that Trumbull is not a good town (in comparison to others) because we have a border with Bridgeport which is true. But here is the thing, the same people rave about Fairfield being such a great town and it shares an even longer border with Brideport. Fairfield borders the worst parts of Bridgeport. The safest part of Bridgeport is in the north of Bridgeport. We share the northern border of Bridgeport. If you look on a map you can also see that the Parkway cuts off Trumbull from Bridgeport and there are only a few streets/bridges to get into Trumbull. About 90% of the town is above the Parkway and it is IMO safer than living on the eastern side of Fairfield which has hundreds of streets in and out of Bridgeport.

If you look at a map you will understand what I mean. That is the reason I myself did not want to live in the eastern section of Fairfield and moved to upper Long Hill Trumbull (above the Town Hall area) that is very close to Monroe. Frankly a lot of wealthy people who live on Congress street in Fairfield and Sport Hill Road in Easton are just as close to the border of Bridgeport as me, maybe even closer.

Like I keep saying, look at a map and you'll get it.

Last edited by CTartist&musician; 03-03-2014 at 06:44 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 06:04 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
Quote:
I want the OP to understand about the border with Bridgeport which is true but........

everyone one here says that Trumbull is not a good town (in comaprison to others) because we have a border with Bridgeport which is true. But here is the thing, the same people rave about Fairfield being such a great town and it shares an even longer border with Brideport. Fairfield borders the worst parts of Bridgeport. The safest part of Bridgeport is in the north of Bridgeport. We share the northern border of Bridgeport. If you look on a map you can also see that the Parkway cuts off Trumbull from Bridgeport and there are only a few streets/bridges to get into Trumbull. About 90% of the town is above the Parkway and it is IMO safer than living on the eastern side of Fairfield which has hundreds of streets in and out of Bridgeport.

If you look at a map you will understand what I mean. That is the reason I myself did not want to live in the eastern section of Fairfield and moved to upper Long Hill Trumbull (above the Town Hall area) that is very close to Monroe. Frankly a lot of wealthy people who live on Congress street in Fairfield and Sport Hill Road in Easton are just as close to the border of Bridgeport as me, maybe even closer.

I know the area well and I do not need to "look at a map" to "get it". It has nothing to do where wealthy people live. A lot of wealthy people live in St Mary's By The Sea, and I would never live there.

Where did I say that Trumbull is not a good town? I just said I prefer Newtown, as would a lot of people. You cannot refute the fact that Trumbull has less than savory individuals entering town to shop (among other activities) at the mall.

Give me Newtown over Trumbull any day.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:

everyone one here says that Trumbull is not a good town (in comaprison to others) because we have a border with Bridgeport which is true. But here is the thing, the same people rave about Fairfield being such a great town and it shares an even longer border with Brideport. Fairfield borders the worst parts of Bridgeport. The safest part of Bridgeport is in the north of Bridgeport. We share the northern border of Bridgeport. If you look on a map you can also see that the Parkway cuts off Trumbull from Bridgeport and there are only a few streets/bridges to get into Trumbull. About 90% of the town is above the Parkway and it is IMO safer than living on the eastern side of Fairfield which has hundreds of streets in and out of Bridgeport.

Nobody on here has ever said that Trumbull isn't a "good" town. Yes, many people have expressed an opinion that they just don't personally care for the town. Different strokes for different folks. Simple as that.

Now, as far as the border situation goes, it's disingenuous to say that Trumbull, Stratford and Fairfield suffer no ill effects from sharing a border with Bridgeport. The sh*t does float through all 3 towns, unfortunately. Even if you happen to border a "nice" part of Bridgeport.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:27 PM

468 posts, read 708,317 times
Quote:
everyone one here says that Trumbull is not a good town (in comaprison to others) because we have a border with Bridgeport which is true. But here is the thing, the same people rave about Fairfield being such a great town and it shares an even longer border with Brideport..
This thread is about comparing Newtown and Trumbull, not Trumbull and Fairfield, so that's why no one has mentioned that Fairfield also shares a border with Bridgeport.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Now, as far as the border situation goes, it's disingenuous to say that Trumbull, Stratford and Fairfield suffer no ill effects from sharing a border with Bridgeport. The sh*t does float through all 3 towns, unfortunately. Even if you happen to border a "nice" part of Bridgeport.
I just want the OP to be aware that there are only 6 streets into Trumbull from above the parkway (90% of the town) which is heavily patrolled by our police. It is relavant to this discussion because the OP does not understand the area like those of us who do live above the parkway and someone like me who lives above the Town Hall area close to Monroe.

The OP might get the wrong impression about Trumbull from what people are saying in this thread and that is just not fair.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I just want the OP to be aware that there are only 6 streets into Trumbull from above the parkway (90% of the town) which is heavily patrolled by our police. It is relavant to this discussion because the OP does not understand the area like those of us who do live above the parkway and someone like me who lives above the Town Hall area close to Monroe.

The OP might get the wrong impression about Trumbull from what people are saying in this thread and that is just not fair.
"Heavily patrolled by our police".

Yes, Stratford used to "heavily" patrol the border years ago. And the town was sued by the NAACP, and had to pay out and cease that type of patrolling. The term they use for it now is.......profiling.

But if you're saying Trumbull is above the law and can profile without facing civil penalties, who am i to argue with you?

Old 03-03-2014, 07:24 PM

21,718 posts, read 28,042,339 times
Fairfield does not border the worst parts of Bridgeport. No town does as it's in the middle of east Bridgeport. Stratford arguably has the "worst" border with Bridgeport.

I wouldn't choose either town for a Westchester commute, but Newtown is easier.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
"Heavily patrolled by our police".

Yes, Stratford used to "heavily" patrol the border years ago. And the town was sued by the NAACP, and had to pay out and cease that type of patrolling. The term they use for it now is.......profiling.

But if you're saying Trumbull is above the law and can profile without facing civil penalties, who am i to argue with you?
I did not say anything about profiling. With only 6 streets into Trumbull we can have police on those roads and it is going to be much safer and easier to keep track of what is going on than on the Fairfield and Stratford borders that have 100's of streets where you can gain access into those towns. I just want the OP to understand that, which I think he/she must by now.

I have seen people rave about Fairfield (and by many in this thread), tell people they should live there and not once have I ever seen someone say it shares a border with Bridgeport even though it is far more dangerous than the border shared with Trumbull. I am just curious why. And btw, Fairfield has no barrier like Trumbull does in the Parkway.

The same people would say "Fairfield, Newtown and Monroe are great towns" but never once have I seen them say "but by the way, Fairfield shares a border with Bridgeport close to very dangerous areas".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut