Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:05 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times

Advertisements

The article says "Drivers in the Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk MSA, which comprises all of Fairfield County, spent 42.1 hours in traffic congestion in 2013." So that works out to about 10 minutes per weekday, or 5 minutes for each way of your daily commute. Is that supposed to be bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 09:09 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
The article says "Drivers in the Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk MSA, which comprises all of Fairfield County, spent 42.1 hours in traffic congestion in 2013." So that works out to about 10 minutes per weekday, or 5 minutes for each way of your daily commute. Is that supposed to be bad?
That's an average. Many people have short commutes or travel reverse. It skews the average.

Also, most people do not work every weekday. Consider holidays and vacation and sick time.

If you commute from Fairfield to Greenwich, you could easily spend over an hour in traffic every day.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:48 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,204,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
If you commute from Fairfield to Greenwich, you could easily spend over an hour in traffic every day.

Yes......

Old 03-06-2014, 09:50 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
LOL at the figure.

I used to drive from Milford then East Haven but I will stick to my Milford - Norwalk commute. 25 miles each way 5 days a week so 250 miles each week, 1,000 miles a month. Time spent would range anywhere from 40 minutes on a very rare superbly clear day to 2.5 hours. So average that to 90 minutes or 1.5 hours which is pretty accurate for my usual commute. 90 minutes each way so 180 minutes or 3 hours a day, 15 hours a week, 60 hours a month.

So I would drive 12,000 miles a year and it would take me on average 720 hours/30 days, basically an entire MONTH spent driving in the car to get to work. I did that for 5 years before finding a new job with a MUCH better commute. No thanks, won't do it again.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:59 AM

468 posts, read 708,395 times
Again, that figure includes all people, not just people with long commutes. Like stay-at-home moms, people with intra-FFC commutes, etc.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:03 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
LOL at the figure.

I used to drive from Milford then East Haven but I will stick to my Milford - Norwalk commute. 25 miles each way 5 days a week so 250 miles each week, 1,000 miles a month. Time spent would range anywhere from 40 minutes on a very rare superbly clear day to 2.5 hours. So average that to 90 minutes or 1.5 hours which is pretty accurate for my usual commute. 90 minutes each way so 180 minutes or 3 hours a day, 15 hours a week, 60 hours a month.
Milford to Norwalk is no walk in the park but it has never taken me 2.5 hours. That would be an average of about 7MPH for the whole trip.

My friend commutes to Darien from Milford and he averages an hour.

The worst commutes Milford>Norwalk are around an hour, maybe slightly more if there's winter weather or bad accidents. Backroads are helpful on the worst days.

It's still not a commute I would ever recommend to anyone but 90 minutes one way seems pretty extreme.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:05 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
The traffic in FFC is one of the worst in the nation, and it severely degrades the quality of life here.

Last edited by JayCT; 03-07-2014 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: Removed off topic discussion

Old 03-06-2014, 10:28 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,298 times
I would NEVER live in lower FFC. Why anyone (beyond the crazy rich) would want to is beyond me.....solely due to the outrageous COL and traffic combo. That's at least the same detriment to quality of life as a 15 degree drop in our average year-round temperature (similar to far N Maine).

I mean, living in the Hartford Metro area is bad enough with traffic. I mean, what does FFC offer me that I can't get in the Hartford area??

And don't say "close to NYC". Whoopdie doo! If I want to go there badly enough I can visit for a weekend or even a day trip while at least keeping most of my sanity.

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned how many stuck up snobs there are down there....and I'm saying that living in Glastonbury, not some place in the sticks!

Just to be clear, This is NOT a slam on any individual on this board who lives there, but is the collective climate from what a good friend of mine tells me who moved from Enfield to Norwalk last year. Things like restaurant patrons being much ruder to the staff than in northern CT, stuff like that, plus things like "zip code envy" and everyone being needlessly fast paced.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:04 AM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
I would NEVER live in lower FFC. Why anyone (beyond the crazy rich) would want to is beyond me.....solely due to the outrageous COL and traffic combo. That's at least the same detriment to quality of life as a 15 degree drop in our average year-round temperature (similar to far N Maine).

I mean, living in the Hartford Metro area is bad enough with traffic. I mean, what does FFC offer me that I can't get in the Hartford area??

And don't say "close to NYC". Whoopdie doo! If I want to go there badly enough I can visit for a weekend or even a day trip while at least keeping most of my sanity.

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned how many stuck up snobs there are down there....and I'm saying that living in Glastonbury, not some place in the sticks!

Just to be clear, This is NOT a slam on any individual on this board who lives there, but is the collective climate from what a good friend of mine tells me who moved from Enfield to Norwalk last year. Things like restaurant patrons being much ruder to the staff than in northern CT, stuff like that, plus things like "zip code envy" and everyone being needlessly fast paced.
Jobs and comp that are in a completely different ecosystem. Slightly better schools relative to similar demographic towns. Beaches/Boat lifestyle. Professional sports team 30-45 minutes away.

I'll give you fast paced and rude at times, but one town (or more) off the immediately shoreline generally mitigates that.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:37 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I have had to delete a number of posts that were off topic to this thread. Please return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut