Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 10:24 AM

9 posts, read 25,881 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon,

We're considering moving up to Glastonbury late this summer (from NYC, job related) and would be renting off Exit 10 off Rt. 2. I'm considering the following preschools for my son, who will be 3 1/2 this fall, and I'd love any input on their quality and other parents' satisfaction:

Preschool at the Glastonbury Family YMCA (housed at Buckingham Church)
Our Children's Place
Kindercare
Sheila Reaback Early Childhood Center

We need a place that does about 6 hours or extended day (e.g., 8-2, 9-3, or longer).

Commute is not a huge deal for us, as our current commute in NYC involves the subway and takes an hour. Commuting by car for ~20 minutes each way is not going to be a big problem.

Mainly I'm interested in quality of program (are kids learning, even if it's through play), facilities (is there sufficient indoor/outdoor space), quality of staff (what's their background and capabilities with the kids), etc.

Any schools not on this list that you think we should check out I'd really appreciate!

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 01:11 PM

42 posts, read 105,376 times
Glastonbury has a number of excellent preschools and I think you will be quite satisfied wherever you end up sending your child. That being said, different preschools offer different 'feels' and only a visit will determine if this is the right fit for your child's personality. KinderCare and Bright Horizons are daycares that offer preschool programs unlike Shirley Reaback and a few others that are only preschools. If you are looking for extended hours, then daycare preschools would probably be a better choice. Shirley Reaback also offers some extended hours. Other schools to evaluate would be the program through the Glastonbury Town (Kangaroo Kids), Cathy's Nursery School and South Church. These are all very popular. I wrote a blog post on preschools a while ago. Some of the details may have changed but you will find the information useful! Just google Glastonbury preschools and it will be the first result on the page. Good luck!

Old 03-11-2014, 07:03 AM

9 posts, read 25,881 times
Hi, I've read your blog post, thanks! I was really hoping for reviews from families who used these places. Yelp or Google or personal reviews are really hard to come by, in my searches.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:13 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
I have friends who used Aloha on Hebron Avenue and were very pleased. We used Stork Club because we liked the small size. It was not fancy and their rates were reasonable but that was a number of years ago. Jay

Old 11-02-2014, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,022 times
Stay away from House Street Kindercare and especially Kindercare on Nutmeg Lane. We were at the Nutmeg Lane KC and one of our children was constantly getting hurt on a daily basis. We would pick him up and he would have bruises that none of the staff could explain. Management is a joke and Miss Tammy , who we have never seen doing anything, well, she flirts with all the men (dads) who walk in the door. Miss Stephanie in preschool is so rude and Miss Jen, well, let's just say there is always one person in a position that shouldn't be in one. There are much better and safer preschools in glastonbury and surrounding towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut