Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 05:16 AM

10 posts, read 37,290 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am moving to New London in the next few months (for family reasons, so no choice of location). I am coming from Australia, bringing my dog, and am trying to find any info on dog-friendly beaches? Is there such a thing in New London County?
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 05:45 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times
I don't know, but I'm eagerly awaiting to find out the answer to your question as well.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:08 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
It seems that in CT, you can bring your dog to some public beaches on Long Island Sound during the off season (After Labor Day-1st Monday in Sept.- to before Memorial Day- end of May) though that varies. Bluff Point State Park is a hiking trail with an adjacent little beach that actually gets fairly crowded with people and dogs during the warmer months. It is the only place I can think of in New London (I think it is technically Groton), though someone who knows the area better may have more suggestions.

I tend to bring my dog to the Salmon River State Forest (Marlborough/Colchester line) because it isn't far from my house. There are nice areas for swimming but not designated as such (no proper beach) so dogs are allowed. Powers Lake in East Lyme is about 15 minutes from New London and you can bring your dog- it is a boat ramp to a mostly undeveloped lake but many people swim there along with their dogs.

I bet there are more places near New London. Hopefully someone more familiar with the area chimes in and can give you more suggestions.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:49 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
Welcome to Connecticut!

Looks like you can bring your dog "around" Rocky Neck state park in East Lyme, but not actually on the beach itself:
PETS:
Pets on leashes are permitted on hiking trails and in picnic areas north of train tracks. Pets are not allowed in campground. Pets are not allowed south of train tracks, or on beach or boardwalk. Please clean up after your pets!

For Hammonasset in Madison:
PETS:
Pets on a leash are permitted in the picnic areas. From Nov. 1 - April 1 ONLY they are alllowed in the campground and on the beach leashed and under control.

Bluff Point in Groton does allow pets on a leash:
PETS:
Pets on a leash are permitted.

Ft Trumbull State Park in New London (not really a beach...)
PETS:
Pets on a leash are permitted in the park. They are not allowed inside buildings, including the fort, or on the fishing pier.

Misquamicut - just over the border in Rhode Island - does not allow dogs at all from April 1 through Sept 30, and leashed dogs are allowed from 10/1 through 3/31.

McCook's Point Park in East Lyme allows dogs "under the owner's control" from 10/1 through 4/30, but dogs are allowed year-round on the "Amtrak Beach" nearby.

Could not find if Point O' Woods in Old Lyme allows dogs.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:13 AM

Wow, thanks so much for the info! Looks like we have a few options, will just have to try them all and see which one is best.
Oh, and thanks for the welcome!

Old 03-17-2014, 07:24 AM

there are a lot of small beaches in Connecticut - they're nice, but nothing like many of the world famous beaches of Australia.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:34 AM

I'm in Western Australia, and we have the world's best beaches, without a doubt.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbrand View Post
I'm in Western Australia, and we have the world's best beaches, without a doubt.
You'll be in for a letdown here, then. The beaches here are more picturesque/quaint than anything. Growing up in central CT, we usually went to Misquamicut for a day trip to the beach when I was in high school and college.

Cape Cod in Mass has some very nice beaches, as do Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 7,885 times
It's a bit of a drive and not an ocean beach but Southbury has a wonderful dog park. Huge open field, walking paths and a calm river for the dogs to swim in. My dogs love it!

Old 03-19-2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMoly7 View Post
It's a bit of a drive and not an ocean beach but Southbury has a wonderful dog park. Huge open field, walking paths and a calm river for the dogs to swim in. My dogs love it!
Thanks for the recommendation! I don't mind a bit of a drive, and luckily the dog loves car rides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut