U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 01:59 PM

89 posts, read 170,616 times

Advertisements

Hi I am interested in Litchfield County CT,particularly the towns of Bethlehem and Watertown. Does anyone have any info, such as amenities like grocery stores and nearby banks. Is it possible to buy a home there for 500k?

How is the crime in that area is it safe for a young family? any info will be appreciated Perhaps, if you can give me any info on other towns that are in Litchfield County CT,please let me know. Thanks so much in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 02:52 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,614,027 times
Yes, you can buy a home for $ 500,000 in either town but it may or may not be what you want.

But what are you looking for? Bethlehem, is basically a rural town with maybe about 3600 people. As you might expect, not much there. It's also one of the few towns left in CT that has no zoning. It does have land use regulations but no formal zoning code. The town is safe.

Bethlehem is part of a two town regional school district. It has its own grade school, but middle & senior high schools are in Woodbury.

Watertown is larger, over 21,000 but still a small town. It has two sections, Watertown itself and the less expensive, denser, area of Oakville. The town will have your basics for shopping. This town is also safe. Watertown has its own school system.

But back to your desires. Give a little more info and maybe we can help better. Litchfield county is large and extends up to the MA border to the north & the NY border to the west. Your home hunt needs to be narrowed down.

The big questions - Where will you be working ? What do you expect to get for your $ 500,000 ? What kind of area are you looking for ? Very rural where you can have many animals or homes are on multi acre lots or a subdivision where you might find other young families, or maybe you want an antique colonial, etc.

Do you want basic amenities in town or do you mind driving one or two towns away to get things ?

Does a regional school district bother you - kids could be on the bus a lot or would you rather live in a town where all schools are in town ( even if part of regional district)

Old 03-17-2014, 03:07 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,430,481 times
As the poster above said, Litchfield County is a large area. Watertown is one of the larger towns in the county. $500,000 would buy you a very large house there. Bethlehem is a much smaller town. In Litchfield County you have everything from urban to suburban to rural, ultra-rich to impoverished. Where will you be working? You need to find a part of the county close to work.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:48 PM

4,593 posts, read 4,634,947 times
Welcome to Connecticut.

I'd also consider nearby Woodbury as well, if you're interested in Bethlehem. It's a bigger town and offers more amenities, and is part of the same school district.

In terms of school performance, Woodbury/Bethlehem schools perform above the state average on things like the SAT and CMT tests, while Watertown is below average. I don't think you'll have to worry about safety in either Watertown, Woodbury or Bethlehem.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:49 PM

10,702 posts, read 8,643,131 times
Litchfield County is quiet corner of CT

Old 03-17-2014, 05:01 PM

89 posts, read 170,616 times
Thanks you for your replies. I am looking for a modest home , 500k would be my limit, coming from Long Island I wasn't sure if CT was as expensive. I am looking for a decent home with some land not too much a decent yard will be sufficient.
School districts aren't important to me right now. Just looking to escape Long Islands expensive cost of living . I thought Ct would be a great fit. I am looking to have some nearby amenities driving to another town isnt a big deal , as long as the drive is not too long for basic needs.Most important is a place that is close to hospitals, banks and grocery stores, thats important . I think CT is a beautiful place and I will be taking a look in the summertime at these towns. thanks so much for all your input . have a great day

Old 03-17-2014, 05:09 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,294,214 times
Agree with NewJeffCT. With a $500k budget, I would look into Woodbury or the town of Litchfield itself instead. Any particular reason why Watertown/Bethlehem were your starting points? The home prices there are generally way below your budget.

If you were in Woodbury, your major grocery store shopping would be in neighboring Southbury and your nearest major hospital is in Waterbury. It has several banks in town and there are small upscale grocery stores there as well. It's be up to you and a map to decide if the amenities you'd like are too far, but Woodbury is a beautiful small town and perfect for your budget. In some other nearby towns like Roxbury and Washington, $500k would be at the very bottom end of the market.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:28 PM

Here is a newer home in Woodbury. Other than being rather brightly painted, it's got a lot of room and is on 3.24 acres of land.

133 Hoop Pole Hill Road, Woodbury CT - Trulia

Here is a nice contemporary in Bethlehem, on almost 4 acres of land:
35 Long Horizon Road, Bethlehem CT - Trulia

And, going from what basehead617 said above, Litchfield here - on 5.5 acres
137 Goodhouse Road, Litchfield CT - Trulia

Hmm, brightly painted homes seems to be a theme in Litchfield County?

Old 03-17-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Litchfield County is quiet corner of CT
I thought northeastern CT was the Quiet Corner? Woodstock, Pomfret, Ashford, etc?

well, both northern corners are quiet, but I thought it was specifically applied to NE CT?

Old 03-17-2014, 05:36 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,614,027 times
OP-you keep noting proximity to hospitals. If that's a strong desire , I can see why you were looking at Bethlehem and Watertown. Both are very near Waterbury, which has full service hospitals.

You would find what you want in Watertown, not so much in Bethlehem, which is very lightly developed.
However, I also agree with others who suggest Woodbury might be your best bet. It's more upscale than Watertown, has your basic needs in the town, is not very far from Waterbury for hospitals . Homes are available in your price range. You'll have no problem in any of those three towns finding a home with a big backyard .

Home values are high in CT however, property taxes will be less than Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or