U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:37 AM

25 posts, read 71,397 times
Question Nicest New England charm towns?

Hello,

I am thinking about moving from CA to Connecticut. Please advise on towns with a nice green scenery around (water and hills are a plus) with a real New England charm, safe for a child but not dead in terms of little shops and some art life - thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 09:06 AM

395 posts, read 1,390,141 times
Hmmm, there are so many choices in Connecticut for you! I can name a few, but you will get many suggestions, all more specific than I am likely to be. Much depends on your budget; home prices vary widely throughout the state. Will you be commuting? That would also be an important consideration for location.

I think Litchfield County in the NW corner of Ct. is tops for New England charm and scenery. Towns like Litchfield, Kent and Cornwall to name a few. You'll find things like covered bridges, state parks with mountains, antiques, art galleries etc.

I live in Fairfield county which is more developed than Litchfield county. You would be close to Long Island sound. There are several towns in Fairfield county that might appeal to you, such as Ridgefield, or Newtown, and so many others, all depending on your budget, and what sort of amenities you are looking for.

The southeastern portion of Connecticut is equally beautiful, too.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:17 AM

213 posts, read 856,995 times
I stayed in Stonington for a short visit (week) and have to say I really enjoyed it. Cute little town on the coast. It has alot of charm.
The people I stayed with had lots of good things to say, they had lived there 8-10 yrs at the time and only left for family reasons.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:26 AM

38 posts, read 106,372 times
Essex is a picture perfect New England town, and there are allot of artists in the area especially across the Ct river in Old Lyme.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:23 AM

14,256 posts, read 22,358,872 times
Perzona - There are many towns that fit your description so a little more information would be necessary to narrow it down. You might want to consider one of the metropolitain areas first and then look at towns nearby. The major cities in Connecticut are Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport, Stamford, Waterbury, New London, Danbury. Hopoe this helps. Jay

Old 12-05-2007, 12:44 PM

4,455 posts, read 2,325,433 times
It all depends on your budget. Eastern Connecticut has the best prices for real estate, yet has access to much culture and rural peace.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:06 PM

11,889 posts, read 10,614,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perszona View Post
Hello,

I am thinking about moving from CA to Connecticut. Please advise on towns with a nice green scenery around (water and hills are a plus) with a real New England charm, safe for a child but not dead in terms of little shops and some art life - thanks!

I am feeling same. When I lived in Maryland back in '87, I used to find myself dreaming of living near San Francisco. After being here since '89, I find myself quite intrigued by New England, Connecticut in particular. Interested in the responses here.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:16 PM

73 posts, read 280,206 times
I'm partial to Ridgefield...stone walls, lakes and ponds, hilly, beautiful town center, pastoral settings, good restaurants and friendly people.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:38 PM

235 posts, read 834,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perszona View Post
Hello,

Your in luck wherever you are in Ct, your not really that far from a town you describe. Also, considering Ct's gargantuan size about the size of most Ca. counties, you could run the whole state in 2-3 days if you were on a mission.
Some of the nicest small towns up my way in the rural Litchfield Hills of NW Ct lack some of the amenities of bigger towns and small cities elsewhere. New Milford and Litchfield both have traditional New England "greens". Bethel Ct. has that quaint NE feel to it. Woodbury is also a great little town. Kent is surrounded by hills in all directions. I have another post with great detail on Kent so I wont repeat myself. Dont know how deep the pockets are, but some of the towns south of Danbury are also nice like Ridgefield, Weston, Redding, Wilton. But you are looking at the mo$t expen$ive real e$tate in the known universe not including Westchester County NY.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:13 PM

333 posts, read 35,494 times
I'll also recommend Ridgefield - the town center is one of my favorite and has a classic NE feel. Other towns you may like are New Canaan, Old Saybrook, West Hartford, Essex, Litchfield, Woodbury, Southbury and Guilford. If you don't mind a rural town further from amenities, consider Sherman, Kent and Bridgewater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut