U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-05-2007, 01:40 PM

15 posts, read 53,143 times
Smile Moving from Bristol

I am originally from Milford,CT and loved growing up there. It has a really nice town green, the water right there, plenty to do, and conviently located. My husband is from Bristol,CT and we have lived in Bristol for the past 5 years together. We just sold our first home we have lived in for the past 2 1/2 years and we are hoping to find a town that suits our needs better. I miss the community town green feeling that Milford has and my husband wants to be in a more rural setting. We are in no rush to buy a home, in fact we are living with his parents until we find exactly what we want.

Our primary concerns are good school system, active enviroment, hometown feel and convience to highways. We want to be within a good distance to both or our parents - his are located in Bristol on the Burlington line and mine are in Milford still. Are there any towns we should be considering that we haven't already thought of ??? (Cheshire/Avon/Farmington/Burlington...some of these are not at all convienent but we really like them....)

thanks in advance
Kristine
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 01:54 PM

575 posts, read 2,182,897 times
Where will you be working? but somewhere between Bristol and Milford would put you in New Haven county. Southbury, Middlebury, Cheshire. Bethany/Woodbridge for a real rural feeling. Or also traditional suburban towns like North Haven, Prospect, Beacon Falls which are a bit more affordable. There are some rural feeling parts of Southington as well which is a large suburban town.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:09 PM

14,270 posts, read 22,385,784 times
It does depend on where you both work. It would be hard to find a town that is both rural but has a town green with shops like Milford. The only town I can think of like that is Colchester. It is a small town with shops around the green. The schools are very good with Connecticut Mastery Test scores above the state averages. Though the class sizes there are over 20 students per class which is a bit high.

If you want to stay in central Connecticut and want a rural feel, consider Durham or maybe one of the lower Connecticut river towns like Haddam, East Haddam or Chester. There is also the towns east of New Haven like Branford, Guilford or Madison. Hope this helps, Jay

Old 12-06-2007, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the suggestions on the towns. Durham seems like it might be a good place for us to check out. Southington we like - it is convienent and there are some neiborhoods that are very rural; but we are concerned since we have heard alot about the the schools being very overcrowded and taxes soon to go up.

I love the Connecticut river towns but I think the drive would be too long to both our parents locations.

I work in Wallingford and my husband works all over the state. He sometimes works in Brookfield,Ct, N.Haven or East Haddem so convience to highways for him would be best. I may not be in Wallingford for work forever so Hartford is where I try to use as a rule of thumb for myself.

thanks for all the input!
Kristine

Old 12-06-2007, 09:02 AM

14,270 posts, read 22,385,784 times
You might also want to check neighboring Middlefield. Since you are looking at Southington, also consider Wallingford. There are some more rural areas east of I-91 that may be of interest. Jay

Old 12-06-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissyk98 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions on the towns. Durham seems like it might be a good place for us to check out. Southington we like - it is convienent and there are some neiborhoods that are very rural; but we are concerned since we have heard alot about the the schools being very overcrowded and taxes soon to go up.

Compared to where you were in Bristol, the per capita tax in Southington was listed higher, the per capita tax in Durham even higher (as this town lacks industry or commercial tax base). If you're looking for towns with lower taxes then you need to look at ones that do have commercial and industrial developments to balance the tax rolls. Though communities that have more services and better education, you will end up paying a bit more in taxes so in a way you can't have everything.

The only school in Southington that I heard was overcrowded was the high school, which I was there recently and saw it under went another expansion. I read two more elementary schools are getting ready for expansion as well.

if Highways are important look for towns that I-84 or I-91 pass through, as there are many to be had.

Have you looked at Cheshire then? If you stay up to the northern end of town, I-84 and I-691 pass through this area. Plus you can travel down rt. 10 into Hamden (though sometimes it can be very backed up near the Cheshire High School/commercial area during peak times) and catch the parkway for a drive into Milford.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:02 AM

Any suggestions on Rocky Hill, Cromwell, Middletown area? I know these are all near the highway and centrally located but does anyone know about the schools and how the towns are set up - ex. like if there is a center of town/sense of community feeling at all?

Old 12-06-2007, 10:14 AM

Rocky Hill and Cromwell are nice suburban towns. They don't really have a true town center, but commercial cooridors with many chain stores. The schools in Rocky Hill and Cromwell are supposed to be good. Middletown is a city and it does have a true downtown, there are a range of options there for housing but the schools do not perform that well. Many people in Middletown send their children to private school or magnet schools.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:24 AM

Thanks!
I really want a town center and sense of community feel... Bristol has none of that so we are trying to make the right decision with our next house!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:33 AM

8,156 posts, read 12,743,329 times
Based on what you have said, I would look into either West Hartford, or Wallingford itself. Both IMO would meet your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut