Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 05:40 PM

10 posts, read 13,724 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm considering a move to CT from Western North Carolina, and I'm looking for a good city/larger town to live in. Can anyone lend some good advice?

I'm looking for a place that:

-Has a good social scene for "young" people (I'm in my early twenties)
-Is not terribly expensive (My budget is around $500-$900/month)
-Is progressive and decently liberal (Some place similar to Asheville, NC)
-Would have local restaurants/shops, health foods stores, farmer's markets, etc.

If at all possible I would like to find a place just beyond the "hustle and bustle" of the city, but close enough to be able to ride a bike into town if needed. I also love to rock climb and would like to be within a few hours of The Gunks in NY and a good climbing gym in CT.

I understand that I have a lot of expectations, but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 05:46 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,957,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerjh View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm considering a move to CT from Western North Carolina, and I'm looking for a good city/larger town to live in. Can anyone lend some good advice?

I'm looking for a place that:

-Has a good social scene for "young" people (I'm in my early twenties)
-Is not terribly expensive (My budget is around $500-$900/month)
-Is progressive and decently liberal (Some place similar to Asheville, NC)
-Would have local restaurants/shops, health foods stores, farmer's markets, etc.

If at all possible I would like to find a place just beyond the "hustle and bustle" of the city, but close enough to be able to ride a bike into town if needed. I also love to rock climb and would like to be within a few hours of The Gunks in NY and a good climbing gym in CT.

I understand that I have a lot of expectations, but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Most of Connecticut will be moderate to moderately liberal, though there are plenty of conservatives sprinkled throughout the state.

The places with a good social scene - Stamford, South Norwalk, New Haven - will likely be much more expensive than $900/month in the areas where you'd want to be, unless you find a 2 bedroom to split with a roommate.

Some of the other folks closer to that part of the state - or younger than me - can probably provide you with better information

West Hartford has some good restaurants and a decent social scene, if I recall, and is close by to some good outdoor activities. It might be a bit more affordable than southern and SW CT, but there are also more "family" things in West Hartford as well. But, then CCSU in New Britain is only minutes away.

Last edited by NewJeffCT; 03-26-2014 at 06:08 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 12:08 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Your budget is kind of low for much of Connecticut unless you are willing to live in a small place or in a questionable part of a city. You do not say what you do for a living so we have to assume you do not have a job. I would suggest living in either the Hartford or New Haven areas. They are more affordable than Fairfield County (Stamford, Norwalk, Bridgeport). A nice option might be living in Middletown which is close to the center of the state. This will allow you access to Hartford, New Haven, Waterbury and even Fairfield County. Jay

Old 03-27-2014, 12:11 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
That budget is extremely difficult in CT. A friend was able to get a place for that price in New London, but it's kind of a limited scene there - both socially and professionally. I agree with the Hartford and New Haven area reco. New Haven probably has the most of what you're looking for. Stamford is a great city, but the most expensive option.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:29 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
I'd suggest New Haven, specifically East Rock since it's close to East Rock Park. You can probably find an okay place for $900.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:59 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,038,418 times
I suggest Middletown. You might be able to find a 1br there for $800 or so.

Anywhere in CT is going to be within 3 hours of the Gunks so that isn't a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut