Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 05:57 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,465,936 times

Advertisements

Law was signed last night! Lets see the wage schedule:
2015 $8.70 to $9.15 (5% increase)
2016 $9.15 to $9.60 (5% increase)
2017 $9.60 to $10.10 (5% increase)

Hourly Wage for Waiters will increase the 5% each year as well.

Everyone does realize that these cost DO get passed onto the consumer. So that cup of coffee, that dinner you treat yourself to once a week, that occasional fast food run, the groceries and even gas will rise in COST. Please tell me YOU do realize this? I, as a business owner, will not keep charging you $1.00 for a widget when it cost me $1.10 to get it to you. I need to keep my profit margin the same and be able to cover cost. Thus the cost will go up.

Someone please explain how raising the min. wage and the cost of everything else going up will spur economic growth. It's not like you are going to make $9.60/hr and go buy a new car. You will have enough money to COVER the COST of the products you CURRENTLY BUY since the products you currently buy will increase at the SAME RATE!

CT.. the State that keeps sticking it to the Middle Class!

Last edited by Mr_250; 03-28-2014 at 06:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 06:34 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,088,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
You're right, we should stick it to the poor and most vulnerable in our society, so you can save 15 cents on a cup of coffee.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You're right, we should stick it to the poor and most vulnerable in our society, so you can save 15 cents on a cup of coffee.
Glad you see my point. JK.

I'm not going to get into a large discussion about ethics, but having worked/lived in a impoverished city and seeing the "most vulnerable" in our society take blatant advantage of the social services offered to them such as welfare, SSI and Section 8. I have a soft spot for the janitor down the street who works for $15/hr, bust his butt so he can make sure that his family has the basic necessitates in life and doesn't ask for hand outs. While the mother of 3 kids (all different baby daddy's) who works at DD part-time drives a BMW, gets free healthcare, WIC Card and section 8 housing. So yes, maybe I am little bitter, but the middle class is the heart of America and I'm sorry, but it is eroding slowly.

How is it that I can only pull out $40 cash back at a Stop and Shop while the lady in front of me, who is using the WIC card can buy a $.99 bag of peanuts and pull out $200. Don't believe me go to Hartford S&S and this is common. They even joke about it.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:39 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,088,555 times
Quote:
Glad you see my point. JK.

I'm not going to get into a large discussion about ethics, but having worked/lived in a impoverished city and seeing the "most vulnerable" in our society take blatant advantage of the social services offered to them such as welfare, SSI and Section 8. I have a soft spot for the janitor down the street who works for $15/hr, bust his butt so he can make sure that his family has the basic necessitates in life and doesn't ask for hand outs. While the mother of 3 kids (all different baby daddy's) who works at DD part-time drives a BMW, gets free healthcare, WIC Card and section 8 housing. So yes, maybe I am little bitter, but the middle class is the heart of America and I'm sorry, but it is eroding slowly.

How is it that I can only pull out $40 cash back at a Stop and Shop while the lady in front of me, who is using the WIC card can buy a $.99 bag of peanuts and pull out $200. Don't believe me go to Hartford S&S and this is common. They even joke about it.
I'm sure there is lots of fraud. I don't doubt it. However, there are many who truly need the support and we can't abandon them in an effort to eliminate fraud.

Well.. Here's a thought.. If we raise the minimum wage and make working more lucrative than collecting benefits, you might see less of what you are discussing above.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:54 AM

468 posts, read 705,148 times
Welfare fraud is not a substantial problem and never has been--beginning with Reagan's original "welfare queen" example, who was not someone just taking advantage of the system, but was a hardened career criminal of which her massive welfare fraud was just one of many criminal endeavors (which included, I believe, murder). The amounts we give out for welfare are so paltry that if you're smart enough to figure out a way to defraud the system, it's probably not even worth it.

Anecdotal evidence is less than worthless and typically informed by the observer's prejudices.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'm sure there is lots of fraud. I don't doubt it. However, there are many who truly need the support and we can't abandon them in an effort to eliminate fraud.

Well.. Here's a thought.. If we raise the minimum wage and make working more lucrative than collecting benefits, you might see less of what you are discussing above.
To the first point: True. I knew of 2 families in my community that collected welfare for 6 months average (1 family a year, one was 6 months). In both cases they had started a business and for circumstances both had failed and going on welfare was the only option to survive. This, to me, was the whole idea of welfare system, to catch people when they fall, a safe-net. Today, one family business was bought out by a major retailer and the other family currently resides in I think Florida, because they are transitioning ownership. So it worked out. I agree that some people need to support, but many take advantage of it.

To the second point: I have heard that with the current min. wage it was more luctritive to collect social services than it was to work (It came out to $21.33/Hr,the $10.10 still won't be more lucrative) Study: welfare pays more than work in most states | The Daily Caller. I'm not sure this still will be the case when the new wage hits. I was talking with my friends the other day about this topic. Him and I both have good jobs, both have MBA and both own our own homes. In NB, they tore down the "projects" and re-built them. They look amazing! $80M dollar Project. We were both joking we are going to quit our jobs and move in to those apartments because they offer more luxurious than our homes. Doing this will NOT convince anyone to work harder.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:25 AM

413 posts, read 1,102,407 times
I haven't read this whole thread. AndI don't know enough about economics to have an opinion about this. But, I will say, as the mother of a teenager, that a lot of the teens don't do much in their jobs. I'd be happier to see the teens working a little harder. Not to be mean, but, I think that the teens kind of have it too easy with these minimum wage jobs. A little competition would be good for them.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:57 AM

267 posts, read 445,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonny View Post
I haven't read this whole thread. AndI don't know enough about economics to have an opinion about this. But, I will say, as the mother of a teenager, that a lot of the teens don't do much in their jobs. I'd be happier to see the teens working a little harder. Not to be mean, but, I think that the teens kind of have it too easy with these minimum wage jobs. A little competition would be good for them.
Plenty of adults are working hard 40+ hours a week at minimum wage, trying to raise a family, and possibly working on getting a degree all the while struggling to make ends meet.

Are you saying that teens will have more competition for min wage jobs if there is an increase? I dont buy that. Nobody is aspiring to make 10.10 an hour. The competition is already there from these same desperate,ppl. If you are saying it will force teens to work harder Ill agree with that. The owners should be more selective if they are paying their employees more.

Last edited by CLees; 03-28-2014 at 10:21 AM..

Old 03-28-2014, 10:08 AM

9,827 posts, read 14,688,046 times
Quote:
Law was signed last night! Lets see the wage schedule:
2015 $8.70 to $9.15 (5% increase)
2016 $9.15 to $9.60 (5% increase)
2017 $9.60 to $10.10 (5% increase)

Hourly Wage for Waiters will increase the 5% each year as well.

Everyone does realize that these cost DO get passed onto the consumer. So that cup of coffee, that dinner you treat yourself to once a week, that occasional fast food run, the groceries and even gas will rise in COST. Please tell me YOU do realize this? I, as a business owner, will not keep charging you $1.00 for a widget when it cost me $1.10 to get it to you. I need to keep my profit margin the same and be able to cover cost. Thus the cost will go up.

Someone please explain how raising the min. wage and the cost of everything else going up will spur economic growth. It's not like you are going to make $9.60/hr and go buy a new car. You will have enough money to COVER the COST of the products you CURRENTLY BUY since the products you currently buy will increase at the SAME RATE!

The alternative is to fire some of your employees (or fire all of them and then re-hire them as part time with no benefits, that way you lower part of your overhead cost), that way you don't have to raise the prices by so much and keep as many of your clients happy.

Another possible way is to hire illegal immigrants.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:21 AM

543 posts, read 698,338 times
This might of been mentioned already, but maybe raising the minimum wage will backfire on the libs and force many off of social programs which are their bread and butter of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut