Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 06:13 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,605 times

Advertisements

I love Connecticut as well! Very happy vibe and positive energy. Fun family-oriented people and anything goes

And even the stuff Connecticut residents complain about actually makes daily life more exciting and adds some regional identity to our lives, such as yelling at I84 or that we have the oldest viaduct system structure for a ramp over the state's capital ....whatever it's more interesting than plain ole boring monotony. It's fun to think the road that was built in 1955 is used how it is used now.

It's fun to think on eBay I can find waterbury clocks and then drive to waterbury and see it now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 07:21 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,297 times
#4, #4, #4. Times a million.

The flatness of Florida is an absolutely enormous downside that I can never, ever look past.

Look at a topo map sometime to be truly stunned.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:55 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Yeah, it's the total flatness that really turns me off. The panhandle actually has some mild, interesting topography though. It's the most beautiful section of FL IMO.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:05 PM

But if FL is such a bad state, then why the heck is it growing so fast? Why do so many people move down there? I mean, FL has more population than all six New England states COMBINED and within a matter of months, it will surpass NY and become the 3rd most populous state.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:26 PM

267 posts, read 448,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
But if FL is such a bad state, then why the heck is it growing so fast? Why do so many people move down there? I mean, FL has more population than all six New England states COMBINED and within a matter of months, it will surpass NY and become the 3rd most populous state.
Its an on paper paradise.. Everything about it looks and seems great on the surface. I knew many people (simple people) who were happy and loved it because its warm and has nice beaches. These people couldnt grasp why anyone would want to move up north to "somewhere cold".

Old 04-01-2014, 02:14 AM

68 posts, read 121,735 times
Good! If everyone loved FL it would be NY, Chicago & LA combined! Thank you - we'll keep it to ourselves! Flat is where it's at!

Old 04-01-2014, 02:50 AM

52 posts, read 142,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLees View Post
Its an on paper paradise.. Everything about it looks and seems great on the surface. I knew many people (simple people) who were happy and loved it because its warm and has nice beaches. These people couldnt grasp why anyone would want to move up north to "somewhere cold".
I'm happy to be a "simple person" that you refer to. You can have all the snow and cold that Connecticut offers. Being in Danbury, how often are you going to see the Talcott Mountain view? And you must love the puritan laws of Connecticut. And the Governor who completely disregards the constitution in order to over react to the Sandy Hook shooting. No guns for anyone!!

And don't even get me started on the taxes. State tax, property tax, motor vehicle tax, pretty soon Malloy will tax you to breathe.

You can have it. Connecticut isn't the paradise you make it out to be. I can't wait to relocate to the warm air and nice beaches of Tampa/Saint Petersburg.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:41 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The things that I prefer about Florida is the slower pace of life and the winters are definitely nice. The highways and roads are also in MUCH better condition than in CT. And FL has a lot more new construction, which I prefer.

Things I like better about CT: the politics, the scenery/terrain, and maybe that's it. I don't like how CT is more family oriented, since I'm single. Also, CT is one of the most classist states in the nation. Too many wealthy people making the quality of life worse for the middle class. There's way too much restricted open space, which sucks compared to out west.
I laughed when I saw your opening comment. You may be looking at a slower life in Florida from being on vacation there which is a lot different than if you lived and worked there. In and around major cities in Florida is like any other city in the country, a rat race with tons of traffic and sprawl for miles and miles. There is a somewhat laid-back feel of old time Florida, however but that just makes getting things done or having services given more difficult. This is more likely away from the bigger cities but still a problem most people I know in Florida do experience. It can be ver frustrating. Jay

Old 04-01-2014, 06:53 AM

720 posts, read 919,936 times
Miami anyday over anything in CT.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I laughed when I saw your opening comment. You may be looking at a slower life in Florida from being on vacation there which is a lot different than if you lived and worked there. In and around major cities in Florida is like any other city in the country, a rat race with tons of traffic and sprawl for miles and miles. There is a somewhat laid-back feel of old time Florida, however but that just makes getting things done or having services given more difficult. This is more likely away from the bigger cities but still a problem most people I know in Florida do experience. It can be ver frustrating. Jay
Compared to FFC, anywhere in Florida is slower paced. The Tampa/St. Pete area is not really fast paced. It's moderate at best. I've been there many many times, since I have family in the area and know the area pretty well. Southeast FL is fast paced, so I'll give you that. It reminds me of Long Island, actually. The Orlando area isn't super fast paced either, and Jacksonville is definitely slow. So is Lakeland and southwestern FL. Compared to FFC, the only area in the entire state that rivals it is Southeast FL. The treasure coast area is also not fast paced, either. Living in FFC, seriously, I have never been this worn down in my entire life (except for when I lived in NYC). Seriously, I don't think you know the state of Florida as intimately as I do. FL also has MUCH more undeveloped land than CT. At least the sprawl and urbanization is contained in specifically zoned off areas. And CT is much more densely populated than FL as well.

Also, CT is doesn't have that many young people. Less than the national average, that's for sure. CT is loaded with families and old people who live very provincial, conventional and play-it-safe lifestyles, for the most part.

FL infrastructure is also light years superior to that of CT.

With that said, my father (a big time real estate investor in the Hartford area) just purchased a new vacation home in Ormond Beach. He also owns a plot of land that borders land owned by Donald Trump in the Flagler Beach area. I'm looking forward to visiting.

Bottom line is that both places have pros and cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut