Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 06:23 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
I don't think you left Florida, i'm betting they threw you out.
No but there is a long long long way to mountains for Floridians. 12-hour drive to Asheville, North Carolina. It's quite the drive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 08:04 PM

Tired of the people who say:

I don't care for the seasons
I don't care for the hills
I don't care for the cuisine
I don't care to be a metro north $10 dollar fare ride away from grabs central station, nor to be an hour's drive from Boston
I don't care for bear mountain
Or Hosmer birch beer nor Averie's
Or fresh chowder
Or black box theatre
Or homemade manufactured denim jeans
Or antique museums
Or Ivy League crowds
Or real artways
Or towns with common activities for all ages
Or trolley museums
Or cider mills
Or hidden archives
Or scenic drives
Or romantic inns
Or folksy music
Fresh dairy produce
One-way tunnel streets
Hidden gems
Creameries
Foxwoods
Mystic seaports
Indoor amusement parks
Mark twain house
Train shows
Bright nights
No no no

I just want my McDonald's and big house with 10 acres of land and my shotgun to stand my ground

So Umm I notice it's so much more expensive here than okahumpka, Texas . Ummm Why is it so expensive here? " not that I spend it on anything worthwhile...just like to see my 8-figure 401k balance get bigger by putting 200% of my salary in deferred retirement and in CT I can't because people have too high a quality standard of living for me ?

Ummmm maybe I'll just settle for the bad part of North Hartford ummm this is bad? Why is it so bad here? Yea yea yea it's too expensive for my 10 acres of land

Last edited by EricS39; 04-01-2014 at 08:20 PM..

Old 04-01-2014, 08:41 PM

267 posts, read 447,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post

I don't care to be a metro north $10 dollar fare ride away from grabs central station, nor to be an hour's drive from Boston
Or fresh chowder
Or black box theatre
Or antique museums
Or Ivy League crowds
Or real artways
Or trolley museums
Or cider mills
Or hidden archives
Or scenic drives
Or romantic inns
Or folksy music
Fresh dairy produce
One-way tunnel streets
Hidden gems
Creameries
Foxwoods
Mystic seaports
Indoor amusement parks
Mark twain house
Train shows
Bright nights
No no no

I just want my McDonald's and big house with 10 acres of land and my shotgun to stand my ground

So Umm I notice it's so much more expensive here than okahumpka, Texas . Ummm Why is it so expensive here? " not that I spend it on anything worthwhile...just like to see my 8-figure 401k balance get bigger by putting 200% of my salary in deferred retirement and in CT I can't because people have too high a quality standard of living for me ?

Ummmm maybe I'll just settle for the bad part of North Hartford ummm this is bad? Why is it so bad here? Yea yea yea it's too expensive for my 10 acres of land
Thank you for exisiting my friend. Its sad that the people like us who enjoy the einderful little things in life are such a minority.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:45 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:

Or fresh chowder
Or black box theatre
Or antique museums
Or Ivy League crowds
Or real artways
Or trolley museums
Or cider mills
Or hidden archives
Or scenic drives
Or romantic inns
Or folksy music
Fresh dairy produce
One-way tunnel streets
Hidden gems
Creameries
Foxwoods
Mystic seaports
Indoor amusement parks
Mark twain house
Train shows
Bright nights
No no no

Almost all of those things are things that only old people care about. New England is old school and for old people.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:50 PM

267 posts, read 447,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Almost all of those things are things that only old people care about. New England is old school and for old people.
Nep..you try to present yourself as educated and analytical but you refuse to see the draw of a state that preserves the old ways? If you were stuck in florida you would love to come back to ct and embrace all of our realness, for lack of a better word..

Old 04-01-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLees View Post
Nep..you try to present yourself as educated and analytical but you refuse to see the draw of a state that preserves the old ways? If you were stuck in florida you would love to come back to ct and embrace all of our realness, for lack of a better word..
Well no, but I just think that CT is very old school, with no new infrastructure or construction, a lack of young adults, and a very provincial family oriented mentality. IMO all of these things are major negatives.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well no, but I just think that CT is very old school, with no new infrastructure or construction, a lack of young adults, and a very provincial family oriented mentality. IMO all of these things are major negatives.
You haven't spent too much time in New Haven on the green, Stoors, Stamford, West Hartford town center,

What you have is actually what enabled me to find a very conventional future spouse....a sort of nuclear family style of the 21st century. That is, a young generation that is more sophisticated and more educated than most other states, who carry some of the behaviors of older generations but yet have the technological skills of the 21st century. This you have. It's a young population that is small but those who are here represent a truly unique segment of our American youth.

So old traditions but not old people necessarily. Young people living on historic traditions and building their lives in the settings of a place with a rich history that grows on them everytime they see the library, the steeple, the train tracks , the central square and meeting places

West Hartford's Blue Back Square, New Haven's Chapel Street, and Mohegan are all great examples of new modern infrastructure in Connecticut. Same with new apartment complexes In East Windsor

The provincial family-oriented mentality explains why Connecticut law enforcement in countrified towns is rather lax and yet crime rates are not high. It also explains why divorce rates in Connecticut are below the national average.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
You haven't spent too much time in New Haven on the green, Stoors, Stamford, West Hartford town center,

What you have is actually what enabled me to find a very conventional future spouse....a sort of nuclear family style of the 21st century. That is, a young generation that is more sophisticated and more educated than most other states, who carry some of the behaviors of older generations but yet have the technological skills of the 21st century. This you have.

Old traditions but not old people necessarily. Young people living on historic traditions.

West Hartford's Blue Back Square, New Haven's Chapel Street, and Mohegan are all great examples of new modern infrastructure in Connecticut. Same with new apartment complexes In East Windsor

The provincial family-oriented mentality explains why Connecticut law enforcement in countrified towns is rather lax and yet crime rates are not high. It also explains why divorce rates in Connecticut are below the national average.
So that pretty much leaves single people in their 30's in the dust, in CT.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:56 PM

Nep321, I was a single person in my 30s. Now I met my New England family in-laws and the daughter who I will be marrying in October.

Do you want to be part of the same family? My fiancée's sister is a very sweet young lady in her mid-20s and she is single and looking. She hadn't had a lot of luck with kindred guys because she is sheltered just like the one I will be marrying. She also has a very admirable teaching job working with autistic kids in special ed, which by the way pays very well in Connecticut. Would you by chance be interested?

Or alternatively maybe you want more single fun before settling down and there's nothing wrong with that either. If that is you, take the train into Grand Central and join all the meetup groups in NYC ...go in the city on Saturdays or even weekday evenings (trust me you can pull that off and it's fun )......
You can represent Connecticut in a singles group of Tristate area "NY, NJ, CT people dining and chatting and doing karaoke, going to the meatpacking district....you can use Connecticut's proximity to NY City to your greatest advantage. It seriously isn't that far nor is it that expensive.
Your food in the city is pricier than the cost of commuting in.

-and if you make some serious friends out there, have them take metro- north into New Haven and pick them up there and take them to your town.

Last edited by EricS39; 04-01-2014 at 10:08 PM..

Old 04-01-2014, 10:07 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
It's more hours of daylight in summer than Florida you know.
The tradeoff is that delightful 4:30-ish sunset in CT on a cold winter day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut