Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:24 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,054,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
The tradeoff is that delightful 4:30-ish sunset in CT on a cold winter day.
That 4:30-ish sunset is kind of awesome. It gives employees a good excuse to leave work 30 minutes early and use the darkness to justify it's time to go home. It also means a lot of moonlight hours to chill out without it being time for bed. It also makes for a sense that the Holiday season is approaching...it's a necessary and awesome contrast from summer and it's part of the marking of the seasons.

The British in London deal with a 3:45pm sunset in December. Though in summer they get a 9:30pm sunset. So compare to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 10:32 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,894,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Nep321, I was a single person in my 30s. Now I met my New England family in-laws and the daughter who I will be marrying in October.

Do you want to be part of the same family? My fiancée's sister is a very sweet young lady in her mid-20s and she is single and looking. She hadn't had a lot of luck with kindred guys because she is sheltered just like the one I will be marrying. She also has a very admirable teaching job working with autistic kids in special ed, which by the way pays very well in Connecticut. Would you by chance be interested?

Or alternatively maybe you want more single fun before settling down and there's nothing wrong with that either. If that is you, take the train into Grand Central and join all the meetup groups in NYC ...go in the city on Saturdays or even weekday evenings (trust me you can pull that off and it's fun )......
You can represent Connecticut in a singles group of Tristate area "NY, NJ, CT people dining and chatting and doing karaoke, going to the meatpacking district....you can use Connecticut's proximity to NY City to your greatest advantage. It seriously isn't that far nor is it that expensive.
Your food in the city is pricier than the cost of commuting in.

-and if you make some serious friends out there, have them take metro- north into New Haven and pick them up there and take them to your town.
I appreciate the offer, but............................................... .........................................
...................... .. ................................i'm gay.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:37 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,054,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I appreciate the offer, but............................................... .........................................
...................... .. ................................i'm gay.
So then why would you want to leave the state that has the most sympathetic stance of all 50 states on marriage equality?

Yes 19 other states followed suit in marriage equality, but Connecticut doesn't even require that an ordained official serve as witness to the marital agreement. That means in Connecticut it is the easiest state for 2 people to marry and obtain full marital benefits, than any other state. I think you can even officiate marriage online, tap of an iphone touch screen. Connecticut took the most clear cut path of any legislature to the legalization of same-sex marriage.

They said, a life union partnership consented between a person and another is the state's definition of marriage since the origin of the Connecticut constitution. Just it so happened no case law was put in front of it all those years and yes ...to form union with ...that means and always has meant a "marriage".

I personally would even support a marriage of 3 or more consenting partners but only if the relationship is proven consensual on all parties and to consent to any contract of course requires being 18 or older...regardless if consent to sex is 16+

Last edited by EricS39; 04-01-2014 at 10:48 PM..

Old 04-01-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
So then why would you want to leave the state that has the most sympathetic stance of all 50 states on marriage equality?

Yes 19 other states followed suit in marriage equality, but Connecticut doesn't even require that an ordained official serve as witness to the marital agreement. That means in Connecticut it is the easiest state for 2 people to marry and obtain full marital benefits, than any other state. I think you can even officiate marriage online, tap of an iphone touch screen. Connecticut took the most clear cut path of any legislature to the legalization of same-sex marriage.

They said, a life union partnership consented between a person and another is the state's definition of marriage since the origin of the Connecticut constitution. Just it so happened no case law was put in front of it all those years and yes ...to form union with ...that means and always has meant a "marriage".

I personally would even support a marriage of 3 or more consenting partners but only if the relationship is proven consensual on all parties and to consent to any contract of course requires being 18 or older...regardless if consent to sex is 16+
Because I've been here for 28 years of my life and am just plain bored of it. I've been to all 169 towns and explored every nook and cranny. It's a small state so there's only so much to do and see in 28 years. That's all.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:54 AM

52 posts, read 142,451 times
5 States that Will Take the Most of Your Paycheck in Income Taxes

Old 04-02-2014, 06:45 AM

720 posts, read 916,135 times
I would agree CT is for old people, many young people flee the state as boredom sets in.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
I would agree CT is for old people, many young people flee the state as boredom sets in.
Exactly. I can't stand old money and families. It is a boring state really.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:32 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,474,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Quote:
Florida vs. CT. I have found Florida boring to some degree. If you don't like beaches or alligators you might call FL boring.

I have to respectfully disagree. CT, like anywhere, is what you make it. In the past week I have been to many different items around CT that are rather exciting. In the upcoming weeks I plan to start fishing and enjoying the bike path and downtown in my little area of town.

I would leave CT because of other reasons such as better opportunities and COL, but boring would not be one of the reasons. I find NYC boring because City life does not appeal to me. Give me a ground blind with my bow and that is what I call fun. You might not, but there is plenty of things to do in CT. You might have to go out and find it, but its there if you just open your eyes.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:00 AM

267 posts, read 446,440 times
Quote:
Have you ever been to Seattle or Portland? I think youd really like it out there.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLees View Post
Have you ever been to Seattle or Portland? I think youd really like it out there.
No I haven't, but would like to. Although, Portland seems like hipster central. And the pacific northwest rains way too much, it seems. Also, everyone out there is tall compared to here. I'm short and wouldn't fit in.

Last year, when I took a cross country road trip and eventually came back home to CT, it literally felt like I went in a time warp back to the 1950's. It really changes your perspective, after you've seen the rest of the nation, which has modern infrastructure, new construction, younger populations and nonconformist mentalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut