Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 2,917 times

Advertisements

I'm a single guy, 29 years old, no dependents. I recently started a new career in Shelton. I currently live in Plainville and the commute is terrible.

I'd like to move somewhere closer to work and just want to present my options to the board to see if anybody has any helpful advice to offer.

I don't want to live anywhere in the "Valley" because I find it depressing. So no Ansonia, Derby, Beacon Falls, etc.

I don't want to live in some expensive UMC enclave with deadly soccer mom drivers.

So bearing that in mind, here's what I have:

1) Some reasonably safe hood in New Haven, probably Westville, East Rock or that Fulton St area.

2) The north end of Bridgeport. Yeah, I know...but I've actually heard from coworkers that this north part of the city bordering Fairfield isn't so bad.

3) Milford...don't know much about this place except that its impossible to actually find an apartment.

4) Monroe, same deal as Milford...I guess its just one of those nothing towns that CT has a lot of and I haven't been able to find much in the way of rentals there.

5) Uh...that's it, I guess.

My salary is 60k if that helps. I live fairly modestly. Used car, don't go out all the time. No student loans or other excessive debt.

Thanks in advance guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 03:38 PM

34,675 posts, read 56,455,731 times
The North End of Bridgeport is not bad. It can be very nice in fact. Try and stay west of Main Street and north of North Avenue which is actually a pretty large area. There is great shopping on northern Main Street as well as a lot of good restaurants in the area. It may be a good place to consider. Jay

Old 04-03-2014, 03:52 PM

21,529 posts, read 27,771,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumgudman View Post
3) Milford...don't know much about this place except that its impossible to actually find an apartment.
Really? Tons of rentals in Milford (way more than Monroe). Maybe vacancy is low.

Try:
Metro Star Milford, CT Apartments
Spinnaker Apartments in Milford, CT
Milford Apartments in New Haven, CT | Avalon Milford
Milford, CT Apartments for Rent - 77 Listings - HotPads

Old 04-03-2014, 04:06 PM

21,540 posts, read 30,956,091 times
Wait - you don't want to live in the "Valley" because it's "depressing", yet you want to live in New Haven or Bridgeport? Ha. Is this post for real? You should actually open your eyes and check out some apartments in the dreaded "Valley". There are many nice condo complexes on 34 in Derby, and you can get a nice home for an affordable price on the well kept hilltop area of Ansonia. You can also, you know, just live in Shelton - but then again, it's the depressing "Valley" so that's out, right?

I would never live in New Haven and work in Shelton. That 95 commute headed home through Milford is brutal, as well as the stop and go Route 34 alternative.

Monroe and Trumbull have nice condos, and they're far from a "nothing" town - you may have trouble affording them though. Stratford is a good alternative. Oxford and Newtown would have too many soccer moms (and only single family homes that you cannot afford, so cross that out). Fairfield is out of your league. New Haven is far. Bridgeport is....Bridgeport.

Looks like you're down to *gasp* the Valley (where many people have much higher salaries than you do), Milford, Stratford, or Bridgeport. Enjoy.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:13 PM

21,529 posts, read 27,771,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I would never live in New Haven and work in Shelton. That 95 commute headed home through Milford is brutal, as well as the stop and go Route 34 alternative.
34 is definitely better though. It would be a reverse commute too.

95 from Exit 42 to 46 gets nasty.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
34 is definitely better though. It would be a reverse commute too.

95 from Exit 42 to 46 gets nasty.
Ehh, not much better. It's an awkward drive, since you'd have to get on Route 8 north (which is routinely jammed from exit 12-15 during rush hour) and from there, it's stop and go the entire way because of traffic lights. It would not be a commute I would be okay with.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Wait - you don't want to live in the "Valley" because it's "depressing", yet you want to live in New Haven or Bridgeport? Ha. Is this post for real? You should actually open your eyes and check out some apartments in the dreaded "Valley". There are many nice condo complexes on 34 in Derby, and you can get a nice home for an affordable price on the well kept hilltop area of Ansonia. You can also, you know, just live in Shelton - but then again, it's the depressing "Valley" so that's out, right?

Monroe and Trumbull have nice condos, and they're far from a "nothing" town - you may have trouble affording them though. Stratford is a good alternative. Oxford and Newtown would have too many soccer moms (and only single family homes that you cannot afford, so cross that out). Fairfield is out of your league. New Haven is far. Bridgeport is....Bridgeport.

Looks like you're down to *gasp* the Valley (where many people have much higher salaries than you do), Milford, Stratford, or Bridgeport. Enjoy.
Yeah ok...I'm not gonna bother arguing over this. You can have your shanty towns in the valley. Guess they're just way "out of my league" lol.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumgudman View Post
Yeah ok...I'm not gonna bother arguing over this. You can have your shanty towns in the valley. Guess they're just way "out of my league" lol.
No, I said Fairfield was out of your league. Actually, Oxford is pretty much out of your league too, and technically that's part of the Valley (and it has more soccermoms per capita than most towns - watch out! Avoid!).

But, hey, enjoy living in Bridgeport. Nothing shanty there, in one of the poorest cities in America.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:21 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,769,741 times
Quote:

Sounds like he's a not a member of the Valley fan club.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:25 PM

I know what Bridgeport is like but I heard the north end was decent, that's all I'm saying. I'd rather be there than Derby, that much is true.

Anyway, I've resolved to narrow my search to Milford. Did some research and looks like a decent place to live. Thanks all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut