Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 04:54 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUPHlAbAf2I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 09:58 PM

304 posts, read 397,130 times
Default Hello Mrgmrg....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgmrg View Post
I found this New Yorker article pretty disturbing when I initially read it, regarding the widespread abuse of the medical marijuana laws there: Medical marijuana dispensaries in California : The New Yorker

Disagree. I know plenty of people who don't buy weed now because they don't want to deal with sketchy people or deal with getting caught. Legality changes that completely.

I might not use heroin if it were legal, but the reason why I don't use heroin in the first place isn't because it's illegal, it's because it's dangerous.

I would n-e-v-e-r use Heroin. Period! (Besides, I'd rather swim with a shark, than use/see a needle).

Cocaine, btw, is not particularly physically addictive in powder form.

Do you have some reason to believe that marijuana arrests are a serious problem in Connecticut?

Yes, I do!

It's easy to see why waiting to see what the public health data on legalized recreational marijuana use say is the smart decision. More importantly, I'm not interested in being at the forefront here. A state which is attracting people to move there solely or primarily because weed is legal is not a state to which I want to be paying taxes.

I think of it this way: Yes, alcohol is legal and it causes a great deal of costs, financial and personal, for society. But it's become engrained in our culture to the point where it's basically inextricable. Why is it so important to add another drug into the mix, considering that all drug use has negative externalities?

Another question is: Why is weed such a priority for you in life? I see it as no different than alcohol. If it's very important to you, then it's an unhealthy relationship which indicates that something's wrong.
Weed isn't a 'priority' in my life, I just ENJOY IT, and it's ILLEGAL IN CT, so one always runs the risk of The POLICE, arrest, court etc.
- Did I mention that I don't drink alchol.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:02 PM

304 posts, read 397,130 times
Default Hi Mikelizard860...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
That's the REAL reason it's legal. It's a highly addictive barbiturate and is a mind altering drug. You can die from withdrawal. Addiction to alcohol is every bit as dangerous as a heroin addiction. People don't think alcohol is that bad because it's "legal". Contrary to what you've been told, you don't instantly become addicted to heroin/cocaine etc. It takes time to get addicted and depends on the individual genetics just like alcohol or any other addictive substance. Making some legal definitely has an effect on the amount of people using the substance contrary to what the libertarians would lead you to believe. That being said, I think it's time we change our culture and bring back national prohibition. I'd MUCH rather see weed legal than alcohol. THOUSANDS of lives would be saved from auto accidents related to DUI.

Hallelujah Brother!
My thought exactly!

(CTwoodnutt, replies).

Old 04-04-2014, 10:31 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Legalize recreational weed for 18+. Forget this medical weed crap. It's a joke. Then make alcohol illegal. It's much more dangerous and causes more death than every single illegal drug known to man.
Ever here or prohibition? Thanks to prohibition we got the mafia and Joe Kennedy. Do you really want to go back to that.

And maybe it causes more death than every single illegal drug known to man because a ton more people drink alcohol than use illegal drugs.

Finally, I sometimes like a glass of wine or bottle of beer with my meal. You have a problem with that? I don't drink to get drunk.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:04 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,277,311 times
Well we just got the locations of where the dispensaries will be in CT. You just have to drive to Maine or Rhode Island to get it as of right now. Im not sure of other surrounding states.

and marijuana was decriminalized in CT, which means police will just take it if they are going to do anything about it at all.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:04 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times
Connecticut decriminalizes small amounts of marijuana | Cross Campus

An infraction with a tax/fine of $150. Been like that quite awhile now. You should know the rules of the game youre playing at all times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoodnutt View Post
We can't GROW it legally here, see what happens if you get caught Growing Cannabis and see what happens if you get caught with any quantity over about 1/4 Oz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
Well we just got the locations of where the dispensaries will be in CT. You just have to drive to Maine or Rhode Island to get it as of right now. Im not sure of other surrounding states.

and marijuana was decriminalized in CT, which means police will just take it if they are going to do anything about it at all.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:59 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,277,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
An infraction with a tax/fine of $150. Been like that quite awhile now. You should know the rules of the game youre playing at all times.
Yes theres the fine, which is better than a holding cell. Its really up to the Police Officer that catches you. Ive talked to some cops and they really dont care about a small bag or a glass pipe laying around your car. They have bigger things to worry about and dont care about weed... Thats not to say they will never do anything. Most cops around me are in their late 20s/ early 30s and arent as traditional as cops used to be.

It really depends on the police officer.

One Police Officer seized a small pipe I had in my car that I hadnt used in months. Pretty much told me he didnt really care and didnt want to do the paper work, but taking it was his procedure.

I wouldnt push my luck though, I know its a ticket. I just remember not to abuse what little privileges I have and keep it quiet.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:00 AM

468 posts, read 708,727 times
That's too bad, they should definitely be fining people driving around with weed in their cars. It's indistinguishable from driving around with an open container.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:32 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta;34226523[B
]Ever here or prohibition? Thanks to prohibition we got the mafia [/b]and Joe Kennedy. Do you really want to go back to that.

And maybe it causes more death than every single illegal drug known to man because a ton more people drink alcohol than use illegal drugs.

Finally, I sometimes like a glass of wine or bottle of beer with my meal. You have a problem with that? I don't drink to get drunk.
You're making my point. A ton more people use alcohol EXACTLY because it's a LEGAL substance. Therefore making it illegal would mean less people would use it and therefore less death. It's more culturally acceptable than shooting up! And it's unique effect on drinking and driving that heroin doesn't have. No one feels like doing anything when their getting their 10 minute high. And cocaine doesn't impair the way alcohol does. Alcohol is unique in that regard Innocents get hit HARD with alcohol.

We have the mafia right now! There was no prohibition when john gotti was ordering executions either! The mob will make money with/without prohibition.

You might not drink to get drunk, but many do. It's like any other drug, cocaine, heroin. It's all about dosage and how often. This stuff is all potentially dangerous, but alcohol really has an effect on motor vehicle accidents unlike any other drug. If you look at most of the harm from heroin, it's effect the addict obviously, but the outside harm is that their stealing to get their fix. If anything we should be trying to drive down the price of drugs, not up! Moving them up means more crime as addicts need to steal more to get a fix.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:27 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,856 times
Considering how long it took for us to be able to purchase alcohol on Sundays, gonna go with: not for another 50 years at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut