U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 09:44 AM

2,632 posts, read 3,624,381 times

Advertisements

Specifically I'm looking at the channel lineup. There is no simple spreadsheet to compare the two. I currently have U200 with the 250min phone and the 3mbps internet. HD, one DVR, one wireless box. My bill is frigin $180 a month which is just stupid. AT&T won't do anything but promote me to U300 with 6mbps internet for free for 3 months then I have to call again?!?!?!

Comcast is offering Xfinity Triple Play which is already a faster internet at it's basic level, and I'm not overly concerned with the phone. But I'm trying to figure out the correct channel package to be somewhat comparable to U200. I don't need Starz, HBO, etc. but like FX, TNT, and the like. The pricing for Comcast seems more steady as I would pay under or about $100 for the service for a full year then it would increase to say $130-150 which still saves me money over U-Verse each month cause in a year who knows how much they will want to charge me for this garbage.

Between the billing, lack of customer service, and equipment errors I'm pretty done with U-Verse after 4 years. Especially now since they are selling off their Northeast business to some third party.

So can anyone shed light who may have done a similar switch?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 10:15 AM

2,237 posts, read 1,877,196 times
I didn't do a switch but we have Comcast triple play. My bill is now $183.00 monthly. It keeps going up. And I don't have Starz or HBO......only channel we added was Showtime. Customer service and overall internet service is great imo.
All of these cable companies have that nice introductory price and then it goes way up after a few years. I don't need more than half of the channels it comes with. Be so nice if you could choose your channels a la carte. I love sports but I don't need 20 different basketball or baseball channels.......in all languages.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:24 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,223,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Specifically I'm looking at the channel lineup. There is no simple spreadsheet to compare the two. I currently have U200 with the 250min phone and the 3mbps internet. HD, one DVR, one wireless box. My bill is frigin $180 a month which is just stupid. AT&T won't do anything but promote me to U300 with 6mbps internet for free for 3 months then I have to call again?!?!?!

Comcast is offering Xfinity Triple Play which is already a faster internet at it's basic level, and I'm not overly concerned with the phone. But I'm trying to figure out the correct channel package to be somewhat comparable to U200. I don't need Starz, HBO, etc. but like FX, TNT, and the like. The pricing for Comcast seems more steady as I would pay under or about $100 for the service for a full year then it would increase to say $130-150 which still saves me money over U-Verse each month cause in a year who knows how much they will want to charge me for this garbage.

Between the billing, lack of customer service, and equipment errors I'm pretty done with U-Verse after 4 years. Especially now since they are selling off their Northeast business to some third party.

So can anyone shed light who may have done a similar switch?

Tell them you're going to cancel unless they give you the introductory rate again.

I bet they give it to you.

And yeah, Comcast is just as bad if not worse.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:03 AM

4,643 posts, read 5,213,056 times
Look up the phone number for your local AT&T office and call them directly and threaten to switch if your rates are not lowered. The phone number on your bill is the national AT&T number, and they really suck at customer service. The local office gets incentives for retaining customers, the national one does not.

I found this out last year when we dumped AT&T UVerse TV when the national office refused to lower our bill. We kept the internet, though, as our only other choice was the poorly reviewed Metrocast. When I called about an internet service question, I ended up being transferred to the AT&T office in New Haven, and the woman I spoke to was furious that the national AT&T people did not offer us a lower rate/incentives to stay with AT&T. She even gave us a free month of internet just to show us she was serious, and told us that when our contract with Dish Network was up that I should call them directly to get the best deal.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:33 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,322,332 times
Like NewJeff said, call AT&T and get them to lower the price. I pretty much have everything with UVerse (all the channels, highest internet speed) and I pay $210 a month. But I have to call every year to renew the deal, which is annoying.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:12 PM

363 posts, read 579,071 times
I called AT&T to cancel and they gave me every channel, max Internet speed and phone for $160 a month.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:22 PM

2,632 posts, read 3,624,381 times
So maybe I should just call them to cancel. Thanks for the input. My bil has U450, highest internet, 3 boxes, unlimited phone, and pays what I pay. So same situation as you FILF.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:27 PM

4,777 posts, read 3,177,809 times
Ever since switching to digital, Comcast has gone up yearly. I just have basic and only have that because it was cheaper as a bundle than internet only. With the move to digital, the aspect ratio is now off on my old TVs (ie both sides are cut off) and there are often digital artifacts and interruptions in service. We replaced the cabling from where it enters the house to the TV with no noticeable improvement. OTOH I sometimes stay at a friends who has Cox, a new widescreen tv and he gets a lot of artifacts and interruptions too. In a nutshell, they all stink.

Another friend cut the cord and said they really harassed him to stay and kept dropping the rate so he would (he didn't, and doesn't miss it)

Old 04-07-2014, 06:49 PM

363 posts, read 579,071 times
I have four boxes in the house. I started going over the channels with my wife expecting to have to cancel a bunch if channels because my bill shot up to $300 a month. I called up AT&T and within in five minutes I was back down to my promotional rate that I started with for another year.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:11 PM

492 posts, read 406,164 times
I didn't have that luck.
My comcast internet bill was increased to double this month. Called them and they said the introductory rate was increased to discounted rate last year and now the discounts are over. No luck. Tried to black mail them that I will cancel service, they said its fine.
This internet monopoly really sucks… never seen this kind of monopoly in my country.
Dont understand why doesn't government do anything to end these monopolies in business practices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: