Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 12:55 PM

720 posts, read 919,075 times

Advertisements

If so where did you move, why did you move & why did you move back to CT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 01:04 PM

21,721 posts, read 28,048,669 times
I was in Colorado for a bit and came back. It was cool for a bit. Came back for professional, family, friends, and being near the ocean reasons

Old 04-09-2014, 01:13 PM

468 posts, read 708,317 times
I went to college in New York City, moved back to Connecticut for grad school, and now live in NYC again and am planning to return. Most of my friends and family are still in Connecticut and I have deep connections to the state that I don't have in New York. It's also more realistic, despite still being expensive, to plan for a really long-term future in Connecticut (e.g., home buying) than New York City, and I would rather make my career in a state where the profession I'm in is a smaller group of people, many of whom I know.

What's keeping my in NYC for now is that there just are no good jobs in Connecticut in my field at the moment. The market moves in waves, but that's what makes Connecticut a challenge. I ended up back in NYC not because I wanted to be there, but because it was actually easier to get a job there despite being a much more competitive market. There were actually jobs to apply to, whereas Connecticut was bone dry.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:15 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,690,667 times
for me it was always a job - CT to LINY, LINY to Mass, Mass back to CT. will say that after being in the Boston area for 6 yrs, CT was like culture shock when I came back. not necessarily bad or good - just different. now of course I'm used to it since I've been here ever since.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:52 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,274,968 times
I lived in Pasadena, CA for a while.. Loved it but I was far away from family and I missed the Pizza in New Haven.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:16 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
I partially grew up in Connecticut, then lived in Vermont, New Mexico, upstate NY, Florida then back to Connecticut. I moved about because I could, thanks to my job, and I wanted to see different parts of the country. I prefer southern New England because of weather mostly, followed by close proximity to different areas I am interested in (ocean, mountains, near urban centers but not living in one).

Old 04-09-2014, 03:39 PM

5 posts, read 7,904 times
Default NC back to CT

Yes, and glad to be back!

We moved down to Cary, NC after reading all about how great the area was. Gave it a solid shot for 6 years. Honestly....we hated it. The area was nothing like we thought it would be. We'd heard about all the "northerners" living there, but never met one. Met lots of Mid-westerners living there, lots of other transplants from other areas, but never one from CT or NY or even MA.

Heard about how "great" it was to live there, but never really enjoyed it. The area is very cookie-cutter and practically every building is made of ugly brown brick. The shopping centers are the same. The restaurants are - in general - horrible and there are way too many chains. The Southerners are friendly to your face, but are not genuinely interested in absorbing them into their lives in our experience. The Civil War is still ongoing from what I heard while there. The winters may be short, but the summer is pretty much from May through September... and we're talking 100-plus temps most of the time. I used to say I loved hot weather. Not anymore - you really can't go outside and do anything much in 110 degree weather.

After a dismal New Year's celebration with people we'd gotten to know there, we decided to move back. We missed our family and our friends. We missed the abundance of things to do/see/etc. that CT and NY has to offer. We missed the beauty of New England. For some, NC is the place. For us, not so much...

Tara

Old 04-09-2014, 04:40 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Grew up in Connecticut. Decided to go to college in Austin, Texas for several reasons. Worked in the computer and startup industry in Austin for twelve years after college. Finally decided I wanted to be near family. Austin never truly felt like home and the minute I got back to Connecticut I was comfortable again.

Some people are more adaptable than others, but I won't make the mistake of leaving again-- at least not on a full time basis. When I retire, I might buy a winter escape in Las Vegas, but, this will always be my primary home.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:43 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
After I graduated from college, I moved to NYC to begin my career. It was an exciting place to live, but the cost of living was super high and the lifestyle in general was very stressful. I missed owning a car and having some peace and quiet. I felt like my entire life was restricted to a 10-square mile bubble. Life was harder in general. I only lasted just under two years.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:15 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,559,190 times
I was born in New Britain. I lived in Wells, ME from 1974 to 1977. I came back to central CT. I lived in Old Orchard Beach, ME from 1985 to 1987. I came back to central CT. Presently, I wish I were living either in Portland, ME or perhaps PA. I'm tired of the high cost of living here. If I had money coming out of my you-know-what, I'd leave in a heartbeat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut