U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 01:44 PM

12 posts, read 16,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmom2011 View Post
Hi,

Great Pond is my favorite community in Glastonbury, I love the open spaces and a lot of the houses have great views also very family oriented!

Hartwell is the town soccer programs and offers "travel" teams for children in 3rd grade and up, the tryout are in the spring. Oakwood, a soccer club, is also located in Glastonbury and offers travel soccer teams but are selective.

Not sure what your child's disability is or how well educated you are on the particular disability but don't expect any experts in Glastonbury. They have the typical "wait to fail" attitude. All testing is averaged and a student is considered average at 25% to 75%. Not to say you wont have success just be prepared for a fight and to constantly stay on top of the situation. The Hartford area in general is lacking great resources for children with learning disabilities. Get in touch with the SEPTA (special education parent teachers association) organization to talk to parents who have gone through or going through the "system".

Good Luck!
Gosh that's good to know. Thanks for the feedback. Having a supportive educational environment is crucial, so I'm taking all input into consideration. I may have to call and speak to them. I"ll also look into Septa. Thanks again.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 05:04 AM

9 posts, read 10,890 times
I also am very involved in the elementary schools here in town and I don't have the same experience as the poster prior. I have worked in the PTO, sat on PTSO meetings: and have served on the board for the Glastonbury Education Foundation and I have heard feedback on most levels about the care and support our children receive. SEPTA is amazing and I think that was a great suggestion for you to get in touch with them. Our schools are proactive and do all they can to assist your child. My own son received services for speech issues so I do speak from my own experience. Best wishes on your move you will love Glastonbury it is a sweet; amazing town with so much to offer its residents.

Last edited by JayCT; 06-01-2014 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: Removed advertising

Old 07-01-2014, 05:38 AM

9 posts, read 10,890 times
I am very involved in the elementary schools here in town and I don't have the same experience as the poster prior. I have worked in the PTO, sat on PTSO meetings: and have served on the board for the Glastonbury Education Foundation and I have heard feedback on most levels about the care and support our children receive. SEPTA is amazing and I think that was a great suggestion for you to get in touch with them. Our schools are proactive and do all they can to assist your child. My own son received services for speech issues so I do speak from my own experience. Best wishes on your move you will love Glastonbury it is a sweet; amazing town with so much to offer its residents.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:47 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,410,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoejungle View Post
Hello. I'm planning to move to CT in a few months and just started my search, currently really liking Glastonbury. We are relocating for husbands job and I have two children ages 7&8. We are looking for a neighborhood feel. I looked at the Great Pond community and liked it. Schools of course are very important. My son has a slight speech delay and learning disability , so finding a good academic support system is a priority. They currently attend a blue ribbon school in Rockland County and I'm hoping to find something similar in Ct. My daughter is also in travel
Soccer and that's important to her as well.

I will appreciate any input anyone can give me. I'm waiting for the kids to finish school and then hopefully be settled in before they start the new school year.
Dr. Phil might say:

"First of all, why would you do such a thing? Take not just yourself and subject them to hazardous taxes and high COL....but subject your 4 kids to this???? Really???? ..wait!...you sure you couldn't find any other jobs in Houston, Pensacola, Sioux City Iowa, Lincoln Nebraska? Why CT"...your kids are gonna want their revenge opportunity and once 18 they will move to the much happier Jacksonville Florida

Second of all would you rather have to face snow shoveling instead of year round beach season? Yeah that's what I thought...the waves and palms...or more than half the year having barren branches and brownery

And third of all do you have a plan to pay thousands in property taxes and car tax because like....you ain't the slightest clue what you are getting into here

But whatever, welcome to Connecticut! And even Dr. Phil has much to learn.

The truth is this place is really unique and though people complain a lot in this state, we do have beautiful seasons, great schools, close-knit towns, great topography, great services especially for special needs. And a high quality of life (amazing choices of hospitals, restaurants, day trips, transportation, short driving distances take you far in a small state like this)

Last edited by EricS39; 07-01-2014 at 06:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut