Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 08:52 PM

12 posts, read 19,212 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm planning to move to CT in a few months and just started my search, currently really liking Glastonbury. We are relocating for husbands job and I have two children ages 7&8. We are looking for a neighborhood feel. I looked at the Great Pond community and liked it. Schools of course are very important. My son has a slight speech delay and learning disability , so finding a good academic support system is a priority. They currently attend a blue ribbon school in Rockland County and I'm hoping to find something similar in Ct. My daughter is also in travel
Soccer and that's important to her as well.

I will appreciate any input anyone can give me. I'm waiting for the kids to finish school and then hopefully be settled in before they start the new school year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 08:57 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,195,918 times
Connecticut is so beautiful. Lots of little communities that have some of the neatest festivals. July 4th is wonderful, we saw 5 or 6 fireworks shows just by planning and driving around sort of close to home. I was in Branford 8 months but my sweetheart is from there. He could tell you better but he's in FL visiting. Branford Land Trust is an amazingly beautiful parcel of land to wander about it. (use tick protection in summer) We love the shoreline. I wouldn't mind settling there but it's too rich for our blood... and a bit chilly. We're much older than you.

Best wishes and I hope you love it as much as I did!

Old 04-09-2014, 09:15 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,716,387 times
Where is husband's work? What is your budget? Property taxes in CT and utility costs are high - put that into the equation of how much house you can afford.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:25 PM

QUOTE=hunterseat;34299989]Connecticut is so beautiful. Lots of little communities that have some of the neatest festivals. July 4th is wonderful, we saw 5 or 6 fireworks shows just by planning and driving around sort of close to home. I was in Branford 8 months but my sweetheart is from there. He could tell you better but he's in FL visiting. Branford Land Trust is an amazingly beautiful parcel of land to wander about it. (use tick protection in summer) We love the shoreline. I wouldn't mind settling there but it's too rich for our blood... and a bit chilly. We're much older than you.

Best wishes and I hope you love it as much as I did![/quote]

Thank you Hunterseat,

I look forward to that and other festivities. I'm going to check out Branford, thanks again.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Where is husband's work? What is your budget? Property taxes in CT and utility costs are high - put that into the equation of how much house you can afford.

He will work in East Hartford. We have researched and are aware of the costs. There are much like where I live know, the payoff is excellent schools which are important to us. Thank you for your response.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:29 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,759,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Coming from Suffern/Nanuet/etc., the property taxes might be a pleasant surprise in Glastonbury.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Coming from Suffern/Nanuet/etc., the property taxes might be a pleasant surprise in Glastonbury.
Someone mentioned that :-). Would be nice.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:55 AM

34,637 posts, read 56,403,363 times
Glastonbury is a great town. We have lived here for 20 years now. The schools are excellent and there are a lot of great family activities. Great Pond is a very nice neighborhood. It is basically a large subdivision built back in the 90's. Other similar areas would include Glastonbury Heights, Red Hill, Lakewood, Farmcliff, Penwood Crossing, Kongscut Valley, Horizon Drive and Balmoral. Plus there are many other small streets with a similar feel andf housing types all over town. Let me know if you have any other questions. Jay

Old 04-10-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Glastonbury is a great town. We have lived here for 20 years now. The schools are excellent and there are a lot of great family activities. Great Pond is a very nice neighborhood. It is basically a large subdivision built back in the 90's. Other similar areas would include Glastonbury Heights, Red Hill, Lakewood, Farmcliff, Penwood Crossing, Kongscut Valley, Horizon Drive and Balmoral. Plus there are many other small streets with a similar feel andf housing types all over town. Let me know if you have any other questions. Jay
That's some great info Jay! Thank you so much. I will research them today! I'm sure it will be lots of help.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:54 PM

137 posts, read 175,838 times
Hi,

Great Pond is my favorite community in Glastonbury, I love the open spaces and a lot of the houses have great views also very family oriented!

Hartwell is the town soccer programs and offers "travel" teams for children in 3rd grade and up, the tryout are in the spring. Oakwood, a soccer club, is also located in Glastonbury and offers travel soccer teams but are selective.

Not sure what your child's disability is or how well educated you are on the particular disability but don't expect any experts in Glastonbury. They have the typical "wait to fail" attitude. All testing is averaged and a student is considered average at 25% to 75%. Not to say you wont have success just be prepared for a fight and to constantly stay on top of the situation. The Hartford area in general is lacking great resources for children with learning disabilities. Get in touch with the SEPTA (special education parent teachers association) organization to talk to parents who have gone through or going through the "system".

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut