U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 08:34 AM

4,444 posts, read 3,596,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
And much as I dislike Boston sports teams, the Celtics own run in the 60s
yes, forgot about that one, but another good example.

I would even make the argument that having one big overwhelming favorite in the early growth years of a sport is great for the sport in general, as it gives the other teams something to shoot for and for other team's fans to hate: I think the Yankees are still typically the top road draw most years because everybody wants to see the local boys beat the Yankees - unless it's a rivalry game, nobody cares if the local team beats Seattle or Milwaukee or the Florida Marlins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 01:12 PM

2,645 posts, read 1,628,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Was it bad for baseball when the Yankees were winning all the time in the 1930s and the 1950s? Was it bad for men's college basketball when UCLA won 10 championships in 12 years, including 7 straight? Was it bad for hockey when Montreal won 4 and 5 Stanley Cups in a row or the NY Islanders won 4 in a row?

I don't really think it was.
Actually yes it was in terms of growing the sport. Just like when Edmonton owned the Stanley Cup in the 80s. Sure it was great for the city of Edmonton, but breaking up the dynasty (mainly Gretzky going) helped hockey's growth in the US. Women's basketball, in terms of being a spectator sport, is not at the level they'd like it to be and I don't think one team dominating helps. I think I was five when John Wooden retired so I can't tell you if those UCLA games were boring though. I can tell you that most UCONN girl's games are a snoozefest after five minutes though. It's not good for the game when people will skip out because they're not going to see a good competition.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:21 PM

8,053 posts, read 7,344,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
He never gets credit when he is absolutely classy, but he displayed great class in letting ND's mouthy Muffet McGraw off the hook Tuesday. For those unfamiliar, she basically accused UConn (39-0 than) of avoiding ND this year, out of fear. After destroying ND, Geno didn't gloat, nor remind anyone of Muffet's Hoof in Mouth disease.
Congrats on blowing out every opponent by 30 or more..tough task/.... not good for the sport in any way shape or form.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:25 PM

657 posts, read 330,357 times
UCONN hates Syracuse and Syracuse hates UCONN so having a UCONN-'Cuse Championship game was great for womens basketball.

On the mens side, DHam looks gone and will declare for the NBA Draft. If Brimah and Purvis also leave, then I do not believe that UCONN will be able to compete with other AAC Schools such as Cincinnati, Temple, or SMU. The big questions is whether or not UCONN could win a title next season. I may be biased, but I think not. Next year in my opinion will be either Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, or 'Cuse.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:56 PM

10,994 posts, read 3,707,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
yes, forgot about that one, but another good example.

I would even make the argument that having one big overwhelming favorite in the early growth years of a sport is great for the sport in general, as it gives the other teams something to shoot for and for other team's fans to hate: I think the Yankees are still typically the top road draw most years because everybody wants to see the local boys beat the Yankees - unless it's a rivalry game, nobody cares if the local team beats Seattle or Milwaukee or the Florida Marlins.
Amen, Univ of Tennessee owned women's bb 20 years ago. UConn owns it now. Just as Geno overtook UT even before Summitt became ill, nothing is preventing other teams from catching the one on top.

It is not up to UConn to get worse. The onus is on others to become the next UConn. Stewy said it best "With any other coach, we win fewer championships with the same 3, Stewy, Jefferson, & Tuck."

Dolson was NOT heavily recruited. She was pudgy and slow coming in, but like great coaches do, Geno saw something special others failed to see.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
nothing is preventing other teams from catching the one on top.

When there are only a handful of standout players and they all go to the same team..that will hamper ones ability to compete. I for one say this to Gino..go coach another team that was not handed the top 7 or 8 recruits in the country and I'll tip my cap.

30-40 point wins in the tourney/....says it all. Ridiculous really.

P.S> does not diminish that he is a great coach.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
When there are only a handful of standout players and they all go to the same team..that will hamper ones ability to compete. I for one say this to Gino..go coach another team that was not handed the top 7 or 8 recruits in the country and I'll tip my cap.

30-40 point wins in the tourney/....says it all. Ridiculous really.

P.S> does not diminish that he is a great coach.
There are several dozen standout players; many shine all year until UConn's defense stops them. Many of them resume scoring 20 per game in the WNBA.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
There are several dozen standout players; many shine all year until UConn's defense stops them. Many of them resume scoring 20 per game in the WNBA.
Several dozen? lol How is that enough to make teams competitive..when there are over 100 teams?

No defending it..there are just not enough top level players..period/. When one team has em all..this is the result.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:39 AM

22,069 posts, read 36,390,903 times
Quote:
Amen, Univ of Tennessee owned women's bb 20 years ago. UConn owns it now. Just as Geno overtook UT even before Summitt became ill, nothing is preventing other teams from catching the one on top.

It is not up to UConn to get worse. The onus is on others to become the next UConn. Stewy said it best "With any other coach, we win fewer championships with the same 3, Stewy, Jefferson, & Tuck."

Dolson was NOT heavily recruited. She was pudgy and slow coming in, but like great coaches do, Geno saw something special others failed to see.
Can you believe there is something we agree about? Seriously, the top players in the country coming out of high school are looking to play for the top team. They know that the top team has the top coach and Geno happens to be that coach and has been for a long time now. I don't know what he does but he brings out the best in his players. This is why the very top players come to UConn in the first place. Jay

Old 04-09-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Can you believe there is something we agree about? Seriously, the top players in the country coming out of high school are looking to play for the top team. They know that the top team has the top coach and Geno happens to be that coach and has been for a long time now. I don't know what he does but he brings out the best in his players. This is why the very top players come to UConn in the first place. Jay
Amen. ND had the best player several years ago, Skylar Diggins, and if Geno coaches ND her 4 years, she wins at least ONE championship. She won zero. Yes I blame McGraw.

Many great players get no championships. Any WNBA fan knows that. The PAC12 will send many to WNBA the next few years in round 1. They do not have 11 championships.

BTW Jay , Geno recruits unselfish players only. You get a bunch of good ones, you get synergy. That is a key. Stewy did not care if she failed to score 35 a game, and she could have. Jefferson was a star shooting gaurd in high school-the noticied position, who moved to the unheralded point guard role. In both cases, team needs mattered most. Last year, Stewy was losing composure after championship because she got Most Outstanding Player award (wrongly) and wanted to know if she could give it to Jefferson who deserved it. TEAM.

He avoids those who fail to understand why their is no "i" in team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut