U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:58 PM

3,535 posts, read 1,971,053 times

Advertisements

Oh boy. I can't say I feel the same about Connecticut. I lived in CT for about 22 years (born and raised). I moved to Tampa Bay area, Florida and am definitely much happier here in terms of weather / cost of living.

I DO miss my family and friends but try to make a trip up there every year. The only other thing I could say that I miss is better work laws up in CT than down here in FL (Right-to-fire). So far, I haven't had an issue though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 01:15 AM

15,019 posts, read 14,235,308 times
Connecticut is beautiful and it has all kinds of cities and towns to live in. I preferred it to MA which is clustered around Boston, all crowded in. In CT you are spread out and people seem to know more about the different areas of their state. People around New Haven have at least heard of Litchfield, people from Harford usually know about Marlborough. Everybody knows about the gold coast and maybe the only area that is not so well known is the eastern part.

In MA the Boston people have never even heard about the rest of the state and they think Boston is the end all and the be all. Very insular. MA is a beautiful state too but I get a more connected feeling in CT. OP, I'm glad you have found CT to be a wonderful place to live and I agree that your area is one of the best parts.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:55 AM

164 posts, read 191,747 times
I am a southern guy, visit Stamford and Hartford once. Totally feel embarrassing about something:

1. Very expensive for everything. rental car (luckily, I got a free rental for my past rewards and they are same points regardless of location, save me $$$)/hotel/gas, even Metro Rail...
2. Compact size of everything. Stamford is a "corporate headquarter" town, I have no clue why so many major corporations STUCK their office in a compact size at Stamford rather than put their large building in any southern cities. Louisville/Memphis/St Louis/Dallas whatever....There is no need to close to WALL STREET any more in this era..
3. Road is always two lanes and feel like people driving much faster than south.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:11 AM

1,100 posts, read 945,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Oh boy. I can't say I feel the same about Connecticut. I lived in CT for about 22 years (born and raised). I moved to Tampa Bay area, Florida and am definitely much happier here in terms of weather / cost of living.

I DO miss my family and friends but try to make a trip up there every year. The only other thing I could say that I miss is better work laws up in CT than down here in FL (Right-to-fire). So far, I haven't had an issue though.

I moved to Tampa Bay in 2008 from Vernon. We are actually looking to move back to CT and I forgot how much rentals were there. Even though houses and apartments down here here are less than they are in CT, and it's easier to get a nice rental for a good price, jobs don't pay as well down here. My husband is in iT and the same job he is doing on average is 20K more a year in CT. The apartment we want to get in CT, even though it's more money, it will actually be less percentage of the monthly income since income is higher, so we would actually be saving money.

The weather here in Florida is great, especially the winter, but I've been here long enough now where I DO miss CT and all it has to offer. Being close enough to NYC or Boston for a day trip, the fall, the rolling hills, etc.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:42 AM

10,834 posts, read 11,975,704 times
In a way, however, being in Florida is still financially better, IF you have enough cash or equity to make a huge down payment on a home, that way, you're monthly payment will be so low that it wouldn't really matter if you took a huge pay cut. So, in FL, you can put 30% or 40% down on a home, but in CT, only 20% at best which leaves you with a higher mortgage payment, and therefore the necessity to make more money. So, financially, most people would be in the same boat. But, the real kicker is that in FL you can purchase a MUCH nicer home with that cash/equity.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:11 PM

22,103 posts, read 36,471,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
In a way, however, being in Florida is still financially better, IF you have enough cash or equity to make a huge down payment on a home, that way, you're monthly payment will be so low that it wouldn't really matter if you took a huge pay cut. So, in FL, you can put 30% or 40% down on a home, but in CT, only 20% at best which leaves you with a higher mortgage payment, and therefore the necessity to make more money. So, financially, most people would be in the same boat. But, the real kicker is that in FL you can purchase a MUCH nicer home with that cash/equity.
But then you are stuck living in Florida. There is more to life than just living somewhere that is cheap as you of all people should know. Jay

Old 04-19-2014, 10:14 PM

22,103 posts, read 36,471,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgz View Post
I am a southern guy, visit Stamford and Hartford once. Totally feel embarrassing about something:

1. Very expensive for everything. rental car (luckily, I got a free rental for my past rewards and they are same points regardless of location, save me $$$)/hotel/gas, even Metro Rail...
2. Compact size of everything. Stamford is a "corporate headquarter" town, I have no clue why so many major corporations STUCK their office in a compact size at Stamford rather than put their large building in any southern cities. Louisville/Memphis/St Louis/Dallas whatever....There is no need to close to WALL STREET any more in this era..
3. Road is always two lanes and feel like people driving much faster than south.
There is a reason that companies have their offices in Stamford and that is because of location. You can be within a 45 minute train ride to the greatest city on earth and yet live in the peace and quiet of some of the most desirable suburbs in the country. In real estate location is everything. Jay

Old 04-19-2014, 10:42 PM

678 posts, read 545,638 times
Whether you like NYC or not, you can't downplay its importance in the global economy. There's a reason why companies headquarter themselves just outside the NYC proper. For one, it's less expensive. Save unnecessary money. Two, you have quick access to the gateway of America. Honestly. Yes, things around here are expensive, but there is no convenience that can be rivaled with NYC. For example, flights from London (another big economic powerhouse global city) run direct to NYC, however, Louisville, Memphis, St. Louis? Lol, not even. Most people around the world haven't heard of those cities, anyways.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:43 PM

My biggest complaint about CT is the severe lack of affordable new construction. I'm sorry, but old construction simply doesn't appeal to me and I just can't get myself to fork over huge sums of cash to live in the 1960's. However, when there is new construction in CT, it tends to be absolutely beautiful and full of character. New construction is CT seems to be given more attention to fine details than new construction in say, Charlotte, which resorts to tract housing with CHEAP materials.

If I end up back in the Hartford area again, my home budget will be up to $250K, which is great, because the monthly payment would still be like $250 less than RENTING in Fairfield County. But like I said, it's hard to find new construction for under $250K that isn't a detached home even in the Hartford area.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
There is a reason that companies have their offices in Stamford and that is because of location. You can be within a 45 minute train ride to the greatest city on earth and yet live in the peace and quiet of some of the most desirable suburbs in the country. In real estate location is everything. Jay
IMO NYC honestly isn't as great as people make it out to be. It's unbelievably gray and aged looking, and dirty, overcrowded, etc. Based on my travels, I would say Chicago is a MUCH nicer city, with beautiful skyscrapers and waterways throughout the city. And having Lake Michigan right next to the city makes it much more beautiful. It's also easier to walk around Chicago and is far less congested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut