U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 02:26 PM

18 posts, read 24,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewWH View Post
Just saying, how is it possible to move twice in 2 months? It is, but you still have to sell the old house. Whatever, keep going kid.
?????? Matthew Matthew Matthew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 02:58 PM

18 posts, read 24,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewWH View Post
You just moved 2 months ago. You commuted from Plainfield CT to DC every day ? /end
How old are you 4? Nah Just Kidding. You just don't seem to understand.

The D.C thread I was just visiting a friend there and taking everyone along, no way did that have anything to do with commutes.

And I was BORN in Plainfield CT, I didn't live there recently.

I lived in West Stockbridge for 10 years, I got a job near there right out of university.

3 months ago my job went out of business and I got a new one in Hartford just like a week ago, and want to move to New Haven, CT instead of living in hartford.

UNDERSTAND. I hope so. I don't get how anyone could think this differently. Its that simple to understand.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:55 PM

311 posts, read 431,423 times
Let's keep playing, OP, you can afford a $850,000-$900,000 house, got 6 kids to support. What kind of job you got?

Old 04-13-2014, 07:40 PM

1,033 posts, read 2,913,823 times
Yea you will get so sick of driving to Hartford everyday. When its clear of traffic it likes around 30 minutes. But, theres always traffic, especially the hours youd be driving.

Id suggest somewhere in the middle, like Middletown or somewhere around there.

My buddy commutes from the east side of the river in New Haven to Hartford and he HATES it...

Old 04-14-2014, 05:47 AM

394 posts, read 419,147 times
Just to confirm with you this is not a real post. I think a mod will close it very soon anyway. I already spoke with a senior mod about it.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:08 AM

33 posts, read 68,687 times
I have commuted from the East Shore of New Haven to Hartford just about every day for 4 years, because like you I prefer to live near the water, but my best job opportunities have happened to be in Hartford. It isn't terrible, but it definitely gets old after a few years. I think going any further than Hartford - like to Windsor Locks, which is another 15 minutes past the city without traffic- might push me over the edge, but you will have to figure out for yourself what you're able to deal with! I do know that there are many large employers up in the Bloomfield area, which means that even once you pass Hartford you can sometimes hit traffic patches going north.

Most days, it takes me about an hour - that's with a little bit of moderate traffic, which is typical at rush hour. Most of the traffic will be as you get closer to Hartford, but accidents happen somewhat regularly and those can bog you down anywhere along the route. It has taken me anywhere from 45 minutes (usually on a school vacation week!) to 2 hours (rare, but if you hit a bad accident, or the weather is bad, just call your boss and tell them you'll be there when you can...) to get there. It helps to have an understanding employer that knows you're commuting from afar - I just tell my boss, hey, if I don't get there til 9:30, I'll stay til 5:30. She's cool with it, but I work for a tiny organization, not a big corporation, which probably has different feelings about punctuality!

You get used to listening to the radio traffic reports, and there are a few alternate routes you can take if the traffic is in certain spots. For example, I work more on the west side of Hartford, so I can take Route 9 from 91 and cut up to 84 that way, and come into Hartford from the west. Once you get past the intersection of 9 and 91, there is almost always traffic all the way into Hartford. If it's a low-traffic day, I stay on 91 because technically it's shorter and it is faster w/no traffic, but because most days the traffic is worse, it makes more sense to take Route 9 around, because Route 9 in that area has almost no traffic, ever. Then I just hit a slow patch on 84 into Hartford, but by then I only have a few exits to go so it isn't too bad.

Coming from the East Shore, you have to cross the Q bridge on 95 to get to 91 north, and this added about 10 minutes to my commute compared to when I used to live in the East Rock neighborhood. There is ALWAYS traffic going over the bridge, and the only way around it is to go over the route 1 bridge, which is usually better but has many stoplights and the occasional 10-minute stoplight for when the bridge has to be drawn for a passing boat. Considering that you are going further than me, up to Windsor Locks, I would shoot to live in East Rock rather than over here, as much as I love my neighborhood! It is nice over here, but East Rock is cool too and has more young people and you can walk to bars, cafes, restaurants, etc., whereas the East Shore is more suburban.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:31 AM

5 posts, read 2,763 times
I live in downtown new haven and I drive to west hartford, exit 30 off route 9, five days a week and I don't think its that bad. It takes me about 35 mins. It an easy drive because it mostly all highway there. I know it can get more congested towards hartford so I am not sure how much longer it would be for you. Fair haven heights houses tend to have more land than those in the east rock area, it will be cheaper as well. there is a 91 north on ramp by fair haven off ferry st ( not the best area but you'll be driving not walking so you'll be safe). You could always take a cab to downtown at night if you don't want to drive, its a really short drive and probably around 9 dollars. I have family that live on front st on the other side of the river and they've never had any issues with crime. I mean you know it exists and you can see it just a few blocks away but they just don't walk that way.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:39 AM

1,129 posts, read 921,789 times
OP's last activity was on 4-14-14 @ 3:03AM EST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut