U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 09:08 AM

18 posts, read 24,251 times

Advertisements

3 months ago I lost my job, and I just found a new one in Hartford. I will have to move to CT for that. I know Hartford is a nice town, but I am looking for places on coastal connecticut because I always LOVE the Coast. I was thinking New Haven Area. I am looking for mid populated cities like Hartford, New Haven, or suburbs.

I was just wondering how is the commute from New Haven to Hartford? I was thinking to move on the east side of the river because its a quieter area, and then I will be close to downtown. Also I am looking for nightlife as well.

So I thought New Haven would be the best place. Do you agree with this?

How is the Commute on I-91 though? I am worried because of traffic. If its bad do you recommend any other coastal places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 09:33 AM

13,130 posts, read 15,736,866 times
East side of the river? You might be confusing New Haven with Hartford. If you want access to nightlife, you might as well live in downtown, East Rock, or Wooster Square in New Haven. The only other places with significant walkable nightlife in the area are West Hartford, Milford, and Middletown. Obviously Milford is the only one on the coast and has a much more beachy feel than NH, but it's a far trip to Hartford daily.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
East side of the river? You might be confusing New Haven with Hartford.
Sorry I wasn't so clear on this. I mean the Quinnipiac River a tributary from the ocean right at new haven area (Not the Connecticut River). If you look at google maps and type in New Haven CT on the top bar, it will show you the New Haven boundaries, and a little of New Haven us east of the river. You get what I mean, sorry for not explaining it more. Around Fair Haven Heights area is where I am looking at to live.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:00 PM

13,130 posts, read 15,736,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewWH View Post
Fair Haven is the worst area of all of new haven. It is run-down, crime is high, and a lot of gang activity. I know by making a wrong turn.

And do you need schools? How many kids do you have?
You are right, but Fair Haven Heights for the most part isn't AS bad - and the area along the river and northern part is DECENT.

That said, it still pales in comparison to other areas of New Haven like downtown/Yale, East Rock, Westville, and Wooster Square. And it's not at all convenient to nightlife. You have to drive through some nasty areas of Fair Haven or get on 95 over the bridge to even get to downtown. Plus it's a much worse commute to Hartford. East Rock or Westville would theoretically be the best commute to Hartford since they're near 91 or 15 and you skip all New Haven related traffic.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:37 PM

311 posts, read 432,295 times
Probably the most asked question here, what is your rent budget? Have you though about the gas money as well?

Old 04-12-2014, 07:20 PM

13,263 posts, read 31,834,412 times
You'll probably be better off living closer to Hartford, and enjoying the nightlife in New Haven on weekends.

At Fair Haven Heights, you're looking at anywhere between 45 minutes to 1.5 hours, depending on the time of day, which highway you start on (I-91 vs I-95), construction, weather, and accidents. That's in each direction.

You'll be dealing with two different rush-hours, because each is a major city in the state, each with two Interstates crossing each other (In Hartford, it's I-91 and I-84. In New Haven, it's I-95 and I-95).

Doing that 5 days/week, is expensive, time-consuming, and exhausting. By the time the weekend rolls around, you'd be too drained to do much "nightlife" stuff.

If you're closer to Hartford - maybe Rocky Hill, Middletown, some parts of Meriden, Wallingford - you'd get the best of both. Usually less than 1/2 hour to and from work, and between 10 and 25 minutes to downtown New Haven for your nightlife, and another 10 minutes to get past New Haven to the Savin Rock area in West Haven/Milford.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:01 PM

22,102 posts, read 36,462,278 times
Why would you want to drive an hour each way each workday if you do not have to? Live as close to work as possible and drive to the coast on weekends. Middletown might be a good option since it is about half way. Jay

Old 04-13-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Fair Haven is the worst area of all of new haven. It is run-down, crime is high, and a lot of gang activity. I know by making a wrong turn.

? Not Fair Haven, Fair Haven heights. There is a river between the 2, or did you mean fair haven heights. Also what about east shore or quinnipiac meadows?

Old 04-13-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:

We have 6 kids, but no schools isn't an issue at all, because my wife always home-schools them through middle school, and then when they get into high school, we would send them to a private paying school in bridgeport.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
You are right, but Fair Haven Heights for the most part isn't AS bad - and the area along the river and northern part is DECENT.

That said, it still pales in comparison to other areas of New Haven like downtown/Yale, East Rock, Westville, and Wooster Square. And it's not at all convenient to nightlife. You have to drive through some nasty areas of Fair Haven or get on 95 over the bridge to even get to downtown. Plus it's a much worse commute to Hartford. East Rock or Westville would theoretically be the best commute to Hartford since they're near 91 or 15 and you skip all New Haven related traffic.
Stylo thanks, do you know what river I am talking about? Fair Haven is west side of the river, and Fair Haven Heights is the east side. So what about Fair Haven Heights? East Shore? Quinnipiac Meadows? I was thinking one of these.

Also about commuting I didn't think the commute would be easier from the west side, or areas you listed, because on a map I see an exit for I-91 around Quinnipiac Meadows area. So where ever along the east side of the river I live I could take back roads to Quinnipiac Meadows and then just go from their on I-91 N (skipping I-95 traffic, etc).

The reason I want to be on the east side of the river is because I believe its quieter and less populated. About walking to nightlife or downtown area for stuff, to avoid Fair Haven if I am on the east shore, I could walk along U.S 1 or drive there over the bridge, because U.S 1 is south of fair haven and its a main road. Or if I am in Quinnipiac Meadows I can walk across middletown ave, or if I am driving I could just take I-91 south for about 1-2 miles and exit in east rock to get to downtown and see the nightlife.

So please tell me how safe Quinnipiac Meadows and East Shore are? or even Fair Haven Heights? I think Quinnipiac Meadows would be the easiest commute so I am leaning towards there, but even if I am in Fair Haven Heights or East Shore I can take back roads to Quinnipiac Meadows and get on I-91 N from there.

Thanks for all this Stylo, I hope you can help me more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut