U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 07:52 PM

9 posts, read 6,570 times

Advertisements

Have you thought about Newington, or parts of East Hartford (on the Glastonbury line) are quite nice and reasonably priced? Elmwood (in West Hartford) is a great neighborhood, very affordable and good schools for later. Parts of Wethersfield, Rocky Hill. Generally you want to stay on the same side of the river you're working in - so Hartford would be west of the river. Crossing the bridge (I go east to west every day) is a bear. You don't want to be commuting to Hartford from Rt 44 (Avon, Canton, Simsbury, New Hartford) - the traffic is terrible, plus those towns are pricey. Similarly avoid Farmington - Rt 4 is ugly, although Unionville (Farmington) and Collinsville (Canton) are pretty nice and reasonable. East Granby is nice, Windsor too. Commute is about 35 minutes with traffic, 25 without. Waterbury to Hartford traffic is awful, and it's a minimum 45 minutes.

If you're willing to commute farther, the smaller towns out in the hills like Barkhampsted, Hartland, Colebrook are beautiful but you've got at least a 45 minute commute to downtown. I think Newington or Elmwood in West Hartford are your best bets. You can do okay for $1200 a month, but it's unlikely you'll get a w/d in unit unless you're in a condo or 2 family.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 08:13 PM

1,100 posts, read 942,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
@Shorty458

I'm curious what made you want to come back to CT ?
Mainly because our family is there. Well technically my side of the family is in Western Mass, but the town they are in borders Enfield & Somers. I like CT more than Western Mass.

I would love it if we could fly up 3-4 times a year... however that's not possible. Not enough money.The last time my husband was able to get up there was in 2009. I went up last year for a long weekend for my cousins wedding. I've been able to get up there just about every year,(except 2011) but he hasn't.

It's too expensive for the two of us to go. Either we would have to drive w/ up w/ our dog or place him in a kennel so we can both go up (putting him in cargo is not an option). However, I don't want to place Snickers (our dog) in a kennel. Too much stress. He already is more anxious than normal.

Also - as much as I love the warm weather, (why I originally wanted to go to school here) I miss the change of seasons especially fall and the change of leaves, the crisp air, etc.

We originally came here so I could finish school. We thought we would only be here for 2-3 years and that was it. Six years later and we are still here. Finding a job 1300 miles away is a challenge. We luckily have had a few interviews. They have either been skype or the willingness to do all interviews (1st and 2nd) via phone.

I never really appreciated all CT had to offer, and although I love my family of course, I never realized how much I loved them until I was away. I miss my mom especially. She is going to be 60 this year, and not in the best of health. My grandparents (on my mom's side) are in their 80's and I want to see them again also. I think about them almost everyday.

Just so many changes too. My cousin got married like I mentioned, her mom actually passed away in 2010 (that is why I went up there that year) my sister in law got married and has had 2 kids and is pregnant w/ her third. So many changes and before we moved here, nothing was ever happening! I feel we are missing out on way too much being 1300 miles away, and I don't want us to miss out on anymore. Also, my husband HATES Florida. He loves the cooler weather, he came here for me. He would have never picked to live here on his own. I also want to see him happier, and I know living in CT will make him happier too.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:11 AM

2,463 posts, read 1,996,963 times
Hi Shorty,

You can forget about Addison mill apts in Glastonbury. They want $1400 for a 1 bd.

One place I know of that fits your requirements is Town Brooke in Middletown. You should call to double check if they accept dogs, but I think they do. A 2 bd here with 2 bathrooms start at $1250 per month and I think that includes heat.

Middletown Brooke apartments in Middletown, CT 06457

If you don't need schools you can look in some of the marginal cities for rents too. They tend to be lower. Some of those cities are, Bristol, New Britain, Meriden, East Hartford, Manchester. If you can drop the 2 bathroom requirement you will have more choices.

You can check this local weekly paper for rents too. They tend to have good ones.

www.rarereminder.com

P.S. Forget anything by Buckland hills in Manchester. The traffic during Xmas in this area is terrible.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Hi Shorty,

You can forget about Addison mill apts in Glastonbury. They want $1400 for a 1 bd.

One place I know of that fits your requirements is Town Brooke in Middletown. You should call to double check if they accept dogs, but I think they do. A 2 bd here with 2 bathrooms start at $1250 per month and I think that includes heat.

Middletown Brooke apartments in Middletown, CT 06457

If you don't need schools you can look in some of the marginal cities for rents too. They tend to be lower. Some of those cities are, Bristol, New Britain, Meriden, East Hartford, Manchester. If you can drop the 2 bathroom requirement you will have more choices.

You can check this local weekly paper for rents too. They tend to have good ones.

www.rarereminder.com

P.S. Forget anything by Buckland hills in Manchester. The traffic during Xmas in this area is terrible.

That is true... I remember that horrible traffic by the mall. Wouldn't want to deal with that everyday at Christmas time!

Those apartments in Middletown look amazing, and they meet 100% requirements! (Well a 2 bath isn't an exact requirement, it's just a strong preference! ) Thank you SOOO much for finding that one. I love the layout, and doing a google street view, it appears to be exactly the landscape I look for in an apartment. Plus it's right off 91 so easy to commute to see my family in Massachusetts.

I was looking at their website to just see what they have available, and they do have some... so hopefully my hubby lands one of those jobs he applied to. However, I will be bookmarking that one so in the future I have it saved.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:51 PM

978 posts, read 676,823 times
I lived in town brooke about 10 years ago. It was large breed dog friendly then, but they charged either pet rent or a pet deposit - I can't remember which. That part of Middletown/Cromwell is probably your best bet for a reasonably priced apartment within 30 mins of Hartford.

The eastbound commute from Waterbury to Hartford is pretty miserable and I would not recommend it.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:31 AM

46 posts, read 104,000 times
Vernon has quite a bit of construction going on up on Rte. 30 towards the Tolland line, lots of new luxury apartment buildings being built. Not sure of the names, but definitely worth checking out.

Cromwell always has some condos/townhouses to rent from private owners as well. Those are hit or miss on Craigslist.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:43 PM

22,063 posts, read 36,381,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
That is true... I remember that horrible traffic by the mall. Wouldn't want to deal with that everyday at Christmas time!

Those apartments in Middletown look amazing, and they meet 100% requirements! (Well a 2 bath isn't an exact requirement, it's just a strong preference! ) Thank you SOOO much for finding that one. I love the layout, and doing a google street view, it appears to be exactly the landscape I look for in an apartment. Plus it's right off 91 so easy to commute to see my family in Massachusetts.

I was looking at their website to just see what they have available, and they do have some... so hopefully my hubby lands one of those jobs he applied to. However, I will be bookmarking that one so in the future I have it saved.
Note that there are a couple of other complexes in that section of Middletown. Check them out as well. Jay

Old 04-16-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Note that there are a couple of other complexes in that section of Middletown. Check them out as well. Jay

Great - thank you for the information Jay. It really appears Middletown is the best town for our budget that we want to spend. Plus, I like the central location of it... not too far from the shore which is ideal. I really know what area I want to focus on now between apt management companies and individual postings on homes.com and similar sites and craigslist.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:29 PM

Thanks again everyone for the opinions about eliminating certain things in my criteria. I decided to narrow it down to even a 1/1, just to live a little bit more comfortably. I did find some cute apartments that way. I also did have to eliminate having a washer/dryer, but I figure it would only be for a short amount of time(1 yr-2yrs) before we could upgrade to an apartment complex that has one in unit, or even maybe buy a house.

So far w/ my new criteria, I am finding A A LOT more in my budget. Plus finding a good amount that allow dogs, and all in the area of CT that I am familiar with. The Springville Mill apartments in Vernon look pretty nice. I lived in Vernon for 6 years. I didn't go to the Rockville section where the mills are located really at all, and I heard it's "rough" but really how rough can it be compared to Albany Ave? Our only main hiccup is our credit. We don't have the best credit, but it seems finding an apartment in Tampa is easier w/ poor credit. We've been here for 6 years, and lived in 3 different complexes that are all nice. We just have to pay a higher security deposit.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:52 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,410,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
My husband and I will be moving back to CT this year... hopefully. We are currently living outside of Tampa, FL and my husband has been applying to jobs, mainly in the Hartford area. I am currently looking at apartments just to get an idea w/ in 30 mins of Hartford, and I forgot how expensive rents are there!!

We currently pay $875 for a 2/2 with washer/dryer hookups (have our own) and a nice size patio and it's in a really nice area of town too. It's 1227 square feet, nice fitness center & pool. I wish I could bring my apartment there.

However, upon researching this past weekend... a lot of the rentals I am finding for a 2/2 is around $1400/month! I really don't want to spend more than $1100 on rent. Sure, jobs up there do get paid more than down here, but I just can't see dishing out $1400 a month on rent. We currently can not buy since we do not have nearly enough for a down payment.

For our requirements we want a 2/2, washer/dryer in unit or connections, allow dogs and has central air. Preferably under $1100. Obviously in FL it's more of a requirement for central air, however it's more of a personal thing since I feel it works WAY better.

I was thinking of maybe the Waterbury area since I found some decent price apartments there that meets our requirements. However, i do not know much about the Waterbury area. My husband grew up in Vernon, CT. I grew up in E.Longmeadow, MA and would go to Enfield often so we are much more familiar w/ that area of CT. Is it a safe area? I've noticed mostly CT bigger cities (Bridgeport & Harford) are places where a lot of people prefer not to live, but work instead.

I do actually stream 96.5 everyday going to/from work because well the morning shows/afternoon shows here are not good. Besides, I grew up listening to Gary Craig and Damon Scott - and I love listening to them when I drive. However... overall how is the traffic from Waterbury to Hartford? I hear Mark the Shark every morning, and it doesn't seem to be TOO bad, but then again I'm just going off what he reports.

I've been checking the Enfield area, Vernon, Middletown, Waterbury, Glastonbury etc. There is one beautiful place I found in Glastonbury, but no mention on the price of course. I did contact them, and I'm just waiting for their reply. (It's Addison Mill) It's Glastonbury after all so I'm not really sure if this place will be under $1100, but it's really close to Hartford so that is fine, since we would be spending a lot less in gas.

I've been looking a lot at the rental websites, but not every apartment is advertising on there, so I am probably missing a good amount.

Driving isn't too much of a factor.... a 30 min commute w/o traffic is fine. We just want to be back up north and with our families,.. anyone have any recommendations on an area where rent is a little lower or a complex that you know of that meets what I am looking for?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions for areas!

Mill pond village in east Windsor

Autumn chase in Ellington
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut