U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 01:01 AM

333 posts, read 3,141 times
Default 21 Connecticut schools among the best in the nation

21 Connecticut public high schools made the list of the top 500 schools in the nation. Ten are in Fairfield County, six are in Hartford county, three are in New Haven County, one in New London county and one in Tolland county.

Avon High School, Avon -- Recipient of the Silver Award
Central High School, Bridgeport, Recipient of the Bronze Award
Cooperative High School, New Haven, Recipient of the Bronze Award
Daniel Hand High School, Madison, Recipient of the Silver Award
Darien High School, Darien, Recipient of the Silver Award
East Lyme High School, East Lyme, Recipient of the Silver Award
Fairfield Warde High School, Fairfield, Recipient of the Silver Award
Farmington High School, Farmington, Recipient of the Silver Award
Glastonbury High School, Glastonbury, Recipient of the Silver Award
Hill Regional Career High School, New Haven, Recipient of the Bronze Award
Joel Barlow High School, Redding, Recipient of the Silver Award
New Canaan High School, New Canaan, Recipient of the Silver Award
New Fairfield High School, New Fairfield, Recipient of the Silver Award
Ridgefield High School, Ridgefield, Recipient of the Silver Award
Simsbury High School, Simsbury, Recipient of the Silver Award
Sport Sciences Academy, Hartford, Recipient of the Bronze Award
Stafford High School, Stafford Springs, Recipient of the Bronze Award
Staples High School, Westport, Recipient of the Silver Award
Weston High School, Weston, Recipient of the Silver Award
Wilton High School, Wilton, Recipient of the Silver Award
Windsor High School, Windsor, Recipient of the Silver Award

Source: Best High Schools 2008
US News and World Report Best High Schools and High School Rankings – US News Best High Schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 06:41 AM

13,838 posts, read 21,172,860 times
Not bad for a state the size of Connecticut. I did though find some of the information inaccurate on glastonbury High school. It lists that the school has 1,500 students and I know there are over 2,000 there now. Not sure where that information came from. Oh well, it is stillnice to be recognized. Jay

Old 12-08-2007, 12:50 PM

24 posts, read 71,422 times
Thanks for posting this info!

With the bad rap New Haven's public schools often receive it was nice to see The Elm City taking nearly 10% (2 out of 21 CT schools) of the spots on the list! Hopefully Mayor DeStefano's massive reinvestment in the school system is beginning to bear fruit.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:59 PM

73 posts, read 271,214 times
Hmmm..and where is Greenwich?

Old 12-09-2007, 04:10 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,824,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver203 View Post
21 Connecticut public high schools made the list of the top 500 schools in the nation. Ten are in Fairfield County, six are in Hartford county, three are in New Haven County, one in New London county and one in Tolland county.

Avon High School, Avon -- Recipient of the Silver Award
Central High School, Bridgeport, Recipient of the Bronze Award
Cooperative High School, New Haven, Recipient of the Bronze Award
Daniel Hand High School, Madison, Recipient of the Silver Award
Darien High School, Darien, Recipient of the Silver Award
East Lyme High School, East Lyme, Recipient of the Silver Award
Fairfield Warde High School, Fairfield, Recipient of the Silver Award
Farmington High School, Farmington, Recipient of the Silver Award
Glastonbury High School, Glastonbury, Recipient of the Silver Award
Hill Regional Career High School, New Haven, Recipient of the Bronze Award
Joel Barlow High School, Redding, Recipient of the Silver Award
New Canaan High School, New Canaan, Recipient of the Silver Award
New Fairfield High School, New Fairfield, Recipient of the Silver Award
Ridgefield High School, Ridgefield, Recipient of the Silver Award
Simsbury High School, Simsbury, Recipient of the Silver Award
Sport Sciences Academy, Hartford, Recipient of the Bronze Award
Stafford High School, Stafford Springs, Recipient of the Bronze Award
Staples High School, Westport, Recipient of the Silver Award
Weston High School, Weston, Recipient of the Silver Award
Wilton High School, Wilton, Recipient of the Silver Award
Windsor High School, Windsor, Recipient of the Silver Award

Source: Best High Schools 2008
US News and World Report Best High Schools and High School Rankings – US News Best High Schools

Congratulations CT!

Normally I am a glass is half full kinda guy, but can someone explain to me why CT did not have one school in the top 100?

Old 12-09-2007, 07:49 AM

2,102 posts, read 4,926,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Congratulations Conn.!

Normally I am a glass is half full kinda guy, but can someone explain to me why Connecticut did not have one school in the top 100?
The third and final category singled out the best 100 from the rest: college readiness. Here's the excerpt:

"The top 100 high schools nationwide with the highest college readiness index scores were ranked numerically (ties were broken using the average number of AP exams passed per test taker) and awarded gold medals. The next 405 top-performing high schools nationwide based on their college readiness index earned silver medals. An additional 1,086 high schools in 40 states that passed the first two steps were awarded bronze medals."

Have you noticed how much press there is lately regarding revamping the graduation requirements - something that won't take effect until the 2011-2012 school year? Keep in mind that U.S. News and World Report used the 2005-2006 school year.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:07 PM

2,102 posts, read 4,926,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
The third and final category singled out the best 100 from the rest: college readiness. Here's the excerpt:

"The top 100 high schools nationwide with the highest college readiness index scores were ranked numerically (ties were broken using the average number of AP exams passed per test taker) and awarded gold medals. The next 405 top-performing high schools nationwide based on their college readiness index earned silver medals. An additional 1,086 high schools in 40 states that passed the first two steps were awarded bronze medals."

Have you noticed how much press there is lately regarding revamping the graduation requirements - something that won't take effect until the 2011-2012 school year? Keep in mind that U.S. News and World Report used the 2005-2006 school year.
This afternoon, I was able to read the article. I was a little surprised that 18 of the Top 100 were in New York (13 schools with "open enrollment" and 5 with "application").

Old 12-09-2007, 03:14 PM

13,838 posts, read 21,172,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumper View Post
Hmmm..and where is Greenwich?
I wondered about that too. Also missing were Fairfield - Ludlowe (the high school on the wealthier side of town); Amity (Woodbridge, Orange, Bethany); and West Hartford's high schools (Hall and conard). Normally these are considered the top schools in the state. Makes me question the list considering the errors I found on the Glastonbury High School listing. Jay

Old 12-09-2007, 04:23 PM

274 posts, read 865,448 times
I'm not surprised that Conard and Greenwich are not on the list. Both are not great schools for the greatness of the towns they are in. Hall is a good school, but any WH parent would tell you Hall is 10x better than Conard in whatever standards it is they use to "rate" schools. Also, Greenwich has a broad range of students and teachers. Just b/c its in a rich town does not mean its a good school. Many people in Greenwich go to Private schools, many promising students and teachers. The rest of that list seems pretty appropriate from my high school experience and interaction with other towns.

And Jay you are absolutely right, as of November 2007 there are over 2400 students at GHS. The CIAC website lists that for the 2007 sports season there are a little over 1500 students, which makes no sense. I dont see how 2 sources of enrollment can be 900 students off.

Last edited by jadedSOUL83; 12-09-2007 at 04:33 PM..

Old 12-09-2007, 04:36 PM

575 posts, read 2,120,587 times
I am surprised about Windsor being on the list. Not only are its SAT scores lower than the state averages, but the cumilative four year drop out rate was 10.6% for the class of 2005.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut