U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:26 PM

164 posts, read 194,659 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a position at the IBM location in Somers, NY. Some kind folks on the NY forum recommended the area of Danbury, CT as more affordable housing with not too bad of a commute.

However, I've read that Danbury doesn't have the greatest schools, and we have a 3 yr old who would start Kindy in 2 years. We plan on renting at first, but it would be nice to settle in a place with good schools right off the bat. I've read that areas like New Fairfield, Newton, Brookfield, Bethel have good schools but they are in the "wrong direction" from Somers.

What would a commute from these areas be like, considering I'd be working standard hours?

Is it possible to find a condo/ townhome/ SFM to rent in these areas? Minimum we'd need a 2 bedroom.

I don't have an exact income yet, but I'm guessing I wouldn't make much more than 100K. Husband is a SAHD.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 10:44 PM

13,324 posts, read 15,985,398 times
New Fairfield is not in the wrong direction, in fact much of the western part of town is pretty convenient to 684. It's a good town with good schools, nice lakefront, but it does not have much in the way of conveniences and it's pretty quiet and semi-rural in parts.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:47 PM

4,787 posts, read 7,907,592 times
New Fairfield and Bethel are in the right direction. New Fairfield is just north of Danbury, Bethel just to the south / south east. Either is commutable to Somers. You would certainly find townhouse type condos to rent in Bethel.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:56 PM

164 posts, read 194,659 times
Good to know about Bethel and New Fairfield, thanks. On a typical day, what is the length of time it takes to get from Danbury to Somers? (Not including the Evil Friday mentioned above).

Old 04-16-2014, 06:02 AM

2,443 posts, read 1,874,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autum1031 View Post
I'm considering a position at the IBM location in Somers, NY. Some kind folks on the NY forum recommended the area of Danbury, CT as more affordable housing with not too bad of a commute.

However, I've read that Danbury doesn't have the greatest schools, and we have a 3 yr old who would start Kindy in 2 years. We plan on renting at first, but it would be nice to settle in a place with good schools right off the bat. I've read that areas like New Fairfield, Newton, Brookfield, Bethel have good schools but they are in the "wrong direction" from Somers.

What would a commute from these areas be like, considering I'd be working standard hours?

Is it possible to find a condo/ townhome/ SFM to rent in these areas? Minimum we'd need a 2 bedroom.

I don't have an exact income yet, but I'm guessing I wouldn't make much more than 100K. Husband is a SAHD.

Thanks!
Aside from western danbury, the west part of New Fairfield would be the easiest commute out of the other towns mentioned, because you entirely avoid having to take 84, which can get kind of nasty. However, aside from a couple of 55+ age restricted developments, there are no condos or townhouses in NF. You could always look into renting a small single family home, but you'd want to limit your area to west of town center and not too far north.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:41 AM

4,448 posts, read 3,673,610 times
I have a friend that commutes from Danbury to Somers for Pepsi - I'll check with her on her commute, but I think she said it was regularly 30-35 minutes, but she drives really fast.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:28 AM

8,349 posts, read 13,236,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I have a friend that commutes from Danbury to Somers for Pepsi - I'll check with her on her commute, but I think she said it was regularly 30-35 minutes, but she drives really fast.
It actually sounds a bit slow, though rush hour traffic going to White Plains could be a factor. Danbury and Somers are only about 10-15 miles apart and its almost all highway (and a legal 65mph limit on the 684 part). I've (with no traffic and I guess driving a little fast, usually about 5mph or so over limits) gotten from the New Rochelle/Pelham/Mt. Vernon area near the Bronx to Danbury in about 45-50 minutes so that figure seems high unless traffic is involved.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:38 AM

Google maps has two routes from her home in Danbury to Pepsi Way in Somers, NY. One says 29 minutes, the other 43. Considering that it shows no traffic right now, I think 30-35 minutes is pretty good since there will often be traffic around Danbury.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:41 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,107,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Google maps has two routes from her home in Danbury to Pepsi Way in Somers, CT. One says 29 minutes, the other 43. Considering that it shows no traffic right now, I think 30-35 minutes is pretty good since there will often be traffic around Danbury.
I thought it was Somers, NY?

I drove from Brookfield, CT down 684 all the time. It's not a bad ride at all.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:44 AM

yes, I corrected the mistake. It's Somers, NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut