Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 06:43 PM

209 posts, read 247,648 times

Advertisements

so we filled out the thing for carabetta but of course my credit suxs so they said we can approve you basd on your fi credit which is spotless but since you have not so good credit you need a co signer.

this co signer thing is a joke they wanted the person to reside in ct or ma who owned a house they wanted copy of there recent tax fillings they wanted the deed to the house or if they were paying a mortgage you had to supply all that info.

i was kinda rushed when she called and i really didnt get a chance to talk more but. i had some id theft in the past i still have 1 or two things that still pop up. ( someone got credit in her name using my social) i had police report they could not find her it was a mess i thought i had it all taken care of then i tried to dispute some recent activity for some Columbia
house cd thing that was not mine its still showing up collection agency said it was mine its not i asked for info to be sent to me records they said they would i got nothing.

should i call back and use the id theft angle and say i have a police report do you think that might still get us approved without having to have a co signer? the police report was from around 2003-2005 i am not exactly sure on the dates plus i would have to go down to my local pd to get a copy as i don't have one anymore on me.

now were are going to fill out a app at middletown housing should i put my info down to even though my credit is bad.

we are thinking just using his info since his credit is spotless and then he would move in i would move in but not be on the lease and then 5-6 months later put me on the lease?

we also found some condos for rent we are looking at but only putting him on the lease
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 06:49 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,010 times
Difficult to read post, but based on my interpretation:

I'm confused as to what you misunderstand. Your credit is very clearly not "spotless" when you say you yourself say you have a few things amiss. Did you file a report with the bureaus after the ID theft? Don't bother calling back with the angle that your ID was stolen, they'd probably just assume you're lying. And if it was 10 years ago, it probably isn't even still on your credit report anyway. You can try using his name, but based on your earlier definition of spotless, I'm not so sure.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:09 AM

sorry for the jumbeld posts fi= fiance i sometimes forget what website i am posting on

we used his name but then on the application it listed anyone over 18 living needed to be listed so we listed my name my social.

then they called and said i needed to sign the lease we are not even married so i don't know what i would have to co lease with him if he is leasing wouldn't i just have to be listed as living there? so i went back signed my name filled out my income my place of work yada yada i was even up front with her and said my credit is not so good.

his credit is spotless like really good. when she called yesterday she said my credit was so so not bad but not that great. she said normally we would deny but we are going to approve you if you can find a co signer. so the jist of it is that he can move in no questions asked but i cant unless there is a co signer so if we have no co signer then its a deny for both of us.

now the co signer needs to own a house in ct or ma show proof of deed or mortgage and copy of a recent tax return. i am not understanding why they would need all that info from the co signer

my mom offered to co sign an apartment if we needed it but not to carabetta if they wanted all this info most times they just need co signers info like social dob etc signature and then its done with a credit check.

part of me wants to call back and see if there is anything we can do to still get the place but not them being so invasive.

fiance is the one renting the place and i would be the second person living there i am not understanding why i would have to be the co leaser

Old 04-17-2014, 08:34 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
They want you to sign the lease in case the rent can't be paid. That way they have more than one person to chase down. That's also why they want a co-signer. In that case they would actually have 3 potential people to chase down for unpaid rent.

I would refuse to get a co-signer and if they won't accept that I would walk away. I've never heard of a co-signer for a rental property.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:12 AM

468 posts, read 708,829 times
Cosigners (known as "guarantors") are pretty common for renters in NYC if you don't meet the 40x monthly rent income requirement, but I've never known anyone to request one in CT. This landlord sounds pretty draconian, I'd look elsewhere. Having this much trouble upfront is not a good sign. Alternatively, you could offer to pay several months upfront if you're financially capable of doing so. That is sometimes an incentive depending on the landlord.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:55 AM

carabetta management owns properties in ct and ma they have income restrictions on some and then they have ones that are market based, plus sr housing as well.

a lot of section 8 people rent there and there is one property they own in middletown, that is mostly all section 8 people. part of me understands that they will rent to section 8 because they know they are getting money from the state/gov,fed for the rest of the rent no problem, but when it comes down to a normal person they want all this dam info.

i could apply for section 8 i might qualify for it but there are waiting list. and i make enough money were i could pay half the rent plus my car payment and insurance and what little utilities we would be using

we found some regular apartments that are market based no income restrictions do you think we would have a better chance at those apartments. with his spotless credit

we did look into renting a condo we found one for the same price as a apartment rental like 750 but when we called the guy last night he said he already had 3 people wanting the place. so that does not look good for us.

we also looked into buying a condo with just his name only but his mom has a house that he would be getting someday and the thought of purchasing a condo and being stuck with two houses would be a challenge

i have no issues looking outside of middletown new britain berlin cromwell are areas i would be open to its close to both our jobs

hes also bent on having extra storage like some apartments you have your own basement, but even if we had a 1 bedroom apt you get closet space where you can store your stuff.

he fishes so he has a lot of fishing gear

i talked to my dad and he thinks its bs that i should have to find a co signer even though his credit is spotless the management lady already told me on the phone it was

my brother who rents said he never heard of an invasive co signer thing,

i work with people who have the worst credit than mine cant even get a car loan or have a car yet they live in decent apartments

i am not understanding how people worse off than me can get an apartment with bad credit

Old 04-17-2014, 02:05 PM

so my fiance called them today and they said if we come up with a double security deposit they will rent to us they have a waiting list and we don't even know where they will place us or what the rent will be based on our income but we are also going to look into other places.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:47 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
The reason they want every adult on the lease is that they'd have to evict every adult if the rent isn't paid. For instance, if the boyfriend left but you stayed, and you didn't pay the rent, they'd have to evict you. It's simpler to do the eviction if you're on the lease, although one can put "Jane Doe and John Doe" on there. But when you go to court for damages, it's really hard to get money out of you if you weren't on the lease. We require that every adult be on the lease, because if it comes to eviction, we have to evict every last adult in the place. As for the security deposit, in CT it's limited by law to 2 months. Not 2 months plus last month's rent. 2 months, period. They can also ask for a pet deposit.

Is this subsidized housing? You might want to look into renting from a small landlord. They're much more flexible about credit, but if you have evictions or judgements against you for unpaid rent/damages, no one will rent to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut