Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 01:08 PM
MDL MDL started this thread

2 posts, read 7,231 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to the Manchester area. Both of us are professionals and we are looking to live in a lively, relatively upscale neighborhood with professionals like us. My question to those of you who might reside in Manchester or its environs is whether you enjoy living there and what the pluses and minuses are of living there as opposed to a bigger metropolitan area. What might the commute to Storrs be like (is there much traffic, etc.)? We also would like to have some amenities close by like a shopping area, upscale restaurants and food stores (Wegman's, Whole Foods or organic food stores). Is that possible? Thanks for your advice.

Last edited by MDL; 12-08-2007 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 01:21 PM

575 posts, read 3,131,712 times
Manchester is more of a working class city, there are a ton of stores though and a large mall, which mostly consists of many chains. Commute to UCONN may be around 20-30 Minutes. You should check out neighboring Glastonbury, it sounds more like what you are looking for in terms of upscale neighborhoods and restaurants and food stores, though the same house will cost more in Glastonbury than Manchester.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:36 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,018,408 times
Manchester is a diverse town of 54,000. It is more working class then upscale professional. Though there are parts of town that are very upscale, especially around Porter street, Birch Mountain and near the Glastonbury town line.

The downtown along Main St. is very nice, having a very New England ambiance with non chain stores, restaurants, and coffee shops. The town has the renowned Lutz Museum, and Mansions of the Cheney Textile families along Hartford Road. Manchester Community College is perhaps one of the best 2 year colleges in the north east.

The town has a great shopping area in the north end near the South Windsor town line. In nearby South Windsor the very upscale Evergreen Walk is a very inviting area of shops, restaurants in a unique 'Main Street' experience.

South Windsor, Ellington, Vernon and Glastonbury may be close by alternatives to consider.

Last edited by skytrekker; 12-08-2007 at 02:00 PM..

Old 12-08-2007, 05:40 PM
MDL MDL started this thread

2 posts, read 7,231 times
Default Move to Manchester CT

Thanks to both of you for your replies. They were very helpful.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:31 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
I too would suggest considering Glastonbury. It is an upscale town with many upscale stores and restaurants. The schools are consdiered excellent and there are many nice neighborhood to choose from. It is considered one of greater Hartford's premier suburbs. If you have any questions, pleaselet me know. Jay

Old 12-10-2007, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,574 times
We have resided in Manchester for over 19 years, raised two children here and run a retail business since 2003. Manchester is defintely on the decline with businesses closing monthly, section 8 housing, many multi family houses in town, and a plethora of drug and rehab facilities that are not widely publicized, but do exist and bring addicts from other towns such as EHartford. Crime is also not talked about among retailers as this would prevent all people from shopping downtown.
Web cameras have been installed to try to catch perpetrators, but the systems chosen are completely inadequate and do not work. MY recommendation is to look at Glastonbury, South Windsor or W. Hartford. Gastonbury is building a multimillion dollar retail complex with upscale restaurants and shops to accomodate their growing population of people that want to shop local. South Windsor has the Evergreen Walk complex,and W. Hartford has the BlueBack Complex which includes high end shops, restaurants and condos.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:36 AM

311 posts, read 1,823,963 times
crodny, you obviously have an agenda here since you posted the same response on another thread. I think you paint a rather bleak picture of manchester that is clearly biased. Manchester has some very lovely, upscale areas. Any place that has a large retail center will of course experience higher crime than a town that does not have a similar environment. Manchester has section 8 housing?? OH MY GOSh - so does glastonbury and some other upscale towns in the hartford area. Please provide all the facts before you feel the need to bash something. Also, BTW, east hartford has its own rehab place so its unlikely that "they" are the ones ruining manchester.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:00 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crodny View Post
We have resided in Manchester for over 19 years, raised two children here and run a retail business since 2003. Manchester is defintely on the decline with businesses closing monthly, section 8 housing, many multi family houses in town, and a plethora of drug and rehab facilities that are not widely publicized, but do exist and bring addicts from other towns such as EHartford. Crime is also not talked about among retailers as this would prevent all people from shopping downtown.
Web cameras have been installed to try to catch perpetrators, but the systems chosen are completely inadequate and do not work. MY recommendation is to look at Glastonbury, South Windsor or W. Hartford. Gastonbury is building a multimillion dollar retail complex with upscale restaurants and shops to accomodate their growing population of people that want to shop local. South Windsor has the Evergreen Walk complex,and W. Hartford has the BlueBack Complex which includes high end shops, restaurants and condos.
I could not disagree with this post more.

Manchester has had more development in the last 5 years than any city it's size in CT. Example: I can count 10 new, large, nice restaurants in the past few years opening alone including one of only two Frank Pepe (Pepe's famous New Haven Pizza) locations outside of New Haven in the state.

Last edited by JViello; 12-10-2007 at 11:32 AM..

Old 12-10-2007, 10:39 AM

575 posts, read 3,131,712 times
There is a Pepes in Fairfield as well.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:54 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glxyman21 View Post
There is a Pepes in Fairfield as well.
To clarify, I meant to say two other locations outside of their main place.

FFLD would be the other one of the "two".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut