Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 10:40 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Clearly my post hit a nerve. No one is knocking your choice of homes or neighborhoods. Toll brother-esque newer builds may be your cup of tea but they are not mine, nor do they convey "restrained affluence", as the post I was responding to suggested. As for their cookie cutter nature...if you live in a subdivision where you picked one of six styles of home, I consider that cookie cutter (right or wrong, YMMV). Some people don't like ranches or Capes, and others like me don't like the typical 4,000 SF modern style newer built home. To each their own. Luckily there is enough housing diversity to satisfy all sorts of difference tastes in the greater Hartford area.
No nerve should have been hit from an objective standpoint. I agree with your post. I also agree that Toll Brothers quality is on par with other big national home builders. You can google the complaints. Even if local builders put the homes together, I feel there was pressure by corporate/headquarters to keep costs low and that something was sacrificed. The home designs are quite cookie cutter as well, no arguments.

I used to think Toll Brothers had some impressive homes in Glastonbury but then I moved down to lower FFC and my goodness... the homes are on another level and so is the materials used and architecture.

Don't get me wrong, the Hartford area has some great local home builders. But you do notice a difference between the two counties in the types of homes built. In FFC, just about everything new is very custom and detailed. In Hartford, there's a lot of homes that just look like a box.

I have noticed more FFC design influence being used in Hartford area homes as of late. It'll be interesting to see if that trend continues. It's more of a Nantucket style/farmhouse design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 04:10 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
No nerve should have been hit from an objective standpoint. I agree with your post. I also agree that Toll Brothers quality is on par with other big national home builders. You can google the complaints. Even if local builders put the homes together, I feel there was pressure by corporate/headquarters to keep costs low and that something was sacrificed. The home designs are quite cookie cutter as well, no arguments.

I used to think Toll Brothers had some impressive homes in Glastonbury but then I moved down to lower FFC and my goodness... the homes are on another level and so is the materials used and architecture.

Don't get me wrong, the Hartford area has some great local home builders. But you do notice a difference between the two counties in the types of homes built. In FFC, just about everything new is very custom and detailed. In Hartford, there's a lot of homes that just look like a box.

I have noticed more FFC design influence being used in Hartford area homes as of late. It'll be interesting to see if that trend continues. It's more of a Nantucket style/farmhouse design.

The dreaded Nantucket cottage on steroids look that is still very popular with new builds in New Canaan. It looks ridiculous. IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut