U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 06:14 PM

678 posts, read 543,797 times

Advertisements

I disagree. Less government intervention is not ALWAYS a good thing. And American history has proved it after the Industrial Revolution boom.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 07:49 AM

1,100 posts, read 942,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celerystick View Post
so in a previous post i noted that i'm moving from the Hudson Valley to the Norwich CT area very soon for a new job- to my GREAT surprise- CT has no county administrative power?!?- yet kept the names and boundary lines.... this directly will affect my job oddly enough- but i really want to understand why & how this happened and what has been the outcome.

[In NY- we heavily rely on County Government, however, its a much larger and more populated state- especially close to urban areas, its one more level of protection for municipalities/environment and yet can be a monetary & governmental burden added to the quagmire if not administered properly or in anyway contentious. I do not want to come across as biased- but can anyone explain why CT abolished their County Governments... and how you think it has turned out 40+ years later??] Thanks- CT newbie

I actually had the opposite happen to me. I grew up in MA, and the county I was (Hampden) in abolished county government. It was in 1998 ( according to wiki) and I was a teen then, so I didn't know anything about it, or paid attention. I moved to CT in 2002 and noticed it was ran pretty much the same way as MA. In 2008 I moved to Florida and I was SO surprised by the presence of county government and how people will actually say what county they are (at least in Tampa Bay) from instead of the town/city! I hope to actually move back to CT and probably will be moving to Middletown, but i won't say, "Oh I live in Middlesex"

Until I moved here, I never realized there was such a thing as county government (never really thought about it though) I just thought it was a way to break up the state for when cases need to go to court.

I'm glad you asked this question, because now from living here, I do really wonder why CT, RI and MA (some counties) don't.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut