U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 07:44 AM

8 posts, read 13,229 times

Advertisements

so in a previous post i noted that i'm moving from the Hudson Valley to the Norwich CT area very soon for a new job- to my GREAT surprise- CT has no county administrative power?!?- yet kept the names and boundary lines.... this directly will affect my job oddly enough- but i really want to understand why & how this happened and what has been the outcome.

[In NY- we heavily rely on County Government, however, its a much larger and more populated state- especially close to urban areas, its one more level of protection for municipalities/environment and yet can be a monetary & governmental burden added to the quagmire if not administered properly or in anyway contentious. I do not want to come across as biased- but can anyone explain why CT abolished their County Governments... and how you think it has turned out 40+ years later??] Thanks- CT newbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 07:46 AM

5,095 posts, read 7,498,140 times
Yes, it was wise to abolish county government. That's one of the reasons our property taxes are a lot lower than comparable parts of New York State and New Jersey.

County government is just another hand looking to take money from productive people and waste it on various schemes and bureaucracies.

Good riddance to it and I hope it never comes back.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:01 AM

5,062 posts, read 12,490,508 times
I see no reason for a county government, I prefer individual towns having control of government and schools.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:07 AM

to play devil's advocate... when you do a Google search of pro's & con's of this issue- one of the first things to come up if you abolish County Gov't is that it places a much greater burden on local municipalities, and it has created a vacuum of sorts (to that point- Municipalities are often ill prepared and tend to make poor land use decisions. has this been an issue in CT?)

and yes, i agree that sometimes County Government can be a bureaucratic succubus of taxpayers $- but i have also seen it work incredibly well... the county i am from, hamlets, villages, towns, and cities often look to our County Admin folks for guidance and support on a regular basis for a number of issues. I wonder just how bad things were in 1960 when CT abolished County admin power/offices?

Old 04-18-2014, 08:12 AM

how bad were things in 60's?? wow. am also wondering what the political atmosphere was back then..

Old 04-18-2014, 09:42 AM

1,061 posts, read 955,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celerystick View Post
(to that point- Municipalities are often ill prepared and tend to make poor land use decisions. has this been an issue in CT?)
Pretty hit or miss here. I believe that it works so well here because CT is so small. Would it work out with so many unincorporated towns out in BFE places like Kentucky? Probably not. Those people rely on county gov't, sheriffs and such. Here the municipalities handle it perfectly well because there aren't very many unincorporated/so-rural-you-don't-have-911 areas left.

I think the only part that's strange about it is if you have to go to court or something, since they're not where you think they'd be located.

edit: You also have to think about how much money gets saved since any county government would be completely redundant here.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:50 AM

4,787 posts, read 7,898,904 times
CT maintains county government only for judicial purposes. Unlike many areas of the country, CT has no unincorporated land. Every inch of the state falls into one of the 169 town boundaries.

Thus, there is no need for a county government to administer the unincorporated sections.

However, CT is way ahead of you. When needed, the towns do create cooperative movments with other towns. For example, in some areas where septic systems are common ( much of south central & eastern CT for example) regional health districts exist. Many areas have regional planning authorities. Magnet schools in some of our larger cities are frequently open to nearby towns.

CT has simply gotten away from an unwanted, additional paid level of bureaucracy known as county goverment. Our tax burden is ridiculously high as it is, we don't need to be paying more bureaucrats, just not affordable.

Live here for a while, wait until you want to buy a home. Then look at your property tax, your state tax, your vehicle tax and your enormous winter heating bill. Then you can come back an advocate for paid county government- lol.

Last edited by willow wind; 04-18-2014 at 10:13 AM..

Old 04-18-2014, 10:09 AM

"Live here for a while, wait until you want to buy a home. Then look at your property tax, your state tax, your veheicle tax and your enormous winter heating bill. Then you can come back an advocate for paid county government- lol."- so how bad is it? remember i have absolutely no idea about your state taxes...

And i agree with Csiko- i am starting to see that because CT is small- it can pull this off (and apparently well). I think if NY abolished county government it'd create a nightmare for most of upstate NY (remember we have 8 million ppl north of the City, and about 8 million in the City)- However, i have so little faith in local municipalities in most of upstate NY- many don't care about the land-simple as that- they are only interested in tax revenues, and routinely make horrible land use choices that are unsustainable... (sure put in one more strip mall in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE... and watch it close and rot 5 years later- we have thousands of those scattered throughout upstate). *sigh... I have a feeling CT has very few of those?

Old 04-18-2014, 10:28 AM

1,061 posts, read 955,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celerystick View Post
I have a feeling CT has very few of those?
Strip malls? Dilapidated strip malls? Plenty of the former, don't see much of the latter.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:43 PM

363 posts, read 461,678 times
Anytime you have less government intervention in your life it's good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut