U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 06:47 PM

8,956 posts, read 9,140,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I hope you're not serious. Your proposition is much easier said than done, especially in this economy.
It may not be easy, but it's a key to happiness. I would do what I do now even if I didn't get paid. I know a guy who at age 43 stopped practicing law and went back to school to become a pilot. He's now a first officer for JetBlue. Yes there is often sacrifice... But I bet people are happier making 50K doing something you love than 150K doing something they hate...

And I would also bet if you do what you're passionate about you won't be making only 50K for long...

If there is nothing you're passionate about, that's probably a matter for counselor, and not a career problem.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:58 PM

311 posts, read 436,723 times
Oh, forgot to add, I can be paged at 3am in the morning to solve an issue without pay. I also could go a couple of days without sleep.

Most of all, sick and tire of constantly spending energy and effort learning new crap. It's like going to school all over again with no graduation date.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:58 PM

8,349 posts, read 13,242,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
It may not be easy, but it's a key to happiness. I would do what I do now even if I didn't get paid. I know a guy who at age 43 stopped practicing law and went back to school to become a pilot. He's now a first officer for JetBlue. Yes there is often sacrifice... But I bet people are happier making 50K doing something you love than 150K doing something they hate...

And I would also bet if you do what you're passionate about you won't be making only 50K for long...

If there is nothing you're passionate about, that's probably a matter for counselor, and not a career problem.
But you can be passionate about something, have a successful career in that passion and still want some semblence of a life that doesn't strictly revolve around work.......

Old 04-19-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
But you can be passionate about something, have a successful career in that passion and still want some semblence of a life that doesn't strictly revolve around work.......
Of course. However, if you choose something you love, I think, you are a lot less worried about how many hours you work...

Old 04-19-2014, 07:38 PM

3,862 posts, read 3,951,282 times
All but one of the cities listed a major university among its top employers rated by employees. It makes perfect sense. We emphasize that we need to educate our kids in math and science to be competitive, which is true. Universities know this. Supply and demand. The cost of a top university, all expenses included, (tuition, room & board, etc.) is $60K. Twenty years ago, it was less than half that. Salaries obviously have not doubles in that time. To the one percent, including those from overseas, this is a drop in the bucket. It used to be you would out a Financial Aid Form, make realistic sacrifices, and put your kid through a four year school. That world just doesn't exist anymore. Meanwhile, with such steady flow of guaranteed income, these employers can afford to compensate their employers higher salaries, better benefits, etc. When the economy tanked, they just dug deeper into the pool (overseas), and continued to raise tuition. The American middle, even upper middle class was less crucial to their market. No wonder their employees are so happy. Silly me, maybe I'm a corporate slave, although I do get six weeks off, and I take every one of those days. No, despite the study that came out last year, I do NOT feel guilty or paranoid about it

Oh, to answer the original question, the answer would be no, but only because I don't live in CT. Sorry, I saw the headline and couldn't resist.

Last edited by thenewtexan; 04-19-2014 at 07:48 PM..

Old 04-19-2014, 07:48 PM

1,888 posts, read 2,990,750 times
Quote:
Of course. However, if you choose something you love, I think, you are a lot less worried about how many hours you work...
And your SO will tell you to go take a hike. What good are mega hours and $$ if you are by yourself? I kind of agree with Nep, but i'm willing to go the extra mile occasionally.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:49 PM

164 posts, read 194,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I was going to leave a long message but I changed it to simply saying.........yes. Most everyone is.
Corporate America sucks. Retail America sucks.
OK..I cannot get a job in CT "CORPORATE AMERICA"....
At least, CT large corporations have big pay job rather than southern states..

Old 04-19-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
And your SO will tell you to go take a hike. What good are mega hours and $$ if you are by yourself? I kind of agree with Nep, but i'm willing to go the extra mile occasionally.
My SO and I both have our own careers. Everybody is different. He works for the UN and sometimes travels 6 to 8 weeks at a time. It works for us-- Might not work for you.

My only point is that you can work in a field you love if that's what you choose.

If you hate your job-- Change something.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:25 PM

8,349 posts, read 13,242,029 times
Quote:
My SO and I both have our own careers. Everybody is different. He works for the UN and sometimes travels 6 to 8 weeks at a time. It works for us-- Might not work for you.

My only point is that you can work in a field you love if that's what you choose.

If you hate your job-- Change something.
Unfortunately, most people don't have the means to just change something to improve their quality of life......its either deal with the job they hate and have no life or be homeless and 100% broke. If it were that easy countries like in Europe wouldn't have laws to protect exploitation and reasonable work-life-family balance. Only in America is it thought that one 'lives to work'

Old 04-19-2014, 10:15 PM

146 posts, read 140,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
This is a choice that we collectively have made, on a number of levels. It doesn't have to be this way if we really want to change it.
This is an illusion called "democracy" - you don't really control anything, everything from who you pick from when you vote to the laws to "independent" media which brain-wash you daily is controlled/manipulated by corporations.
It's just the nature of money, the more they concentrate in one place the more they take control. In case of the US it's 0.1% of the nation which owns/enslaves the rest 99.9%.
"Democracy" was introduced when it became obvious that religion cannot effectively control slaves anymore, so "democracy" now gives you an illusion that you are in control, so that you behave, eat your junk food, drink your alcohol which keeps you calm and dumb like animal and do your 8+ of "work" so that 0.1% retains its power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut