U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 08:32 AM

699 posts, read 550,320 times

Advertisements

Some Countries Realize You Have A Life Outside Work. The U.S. Isn't One Of Them.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:18 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,207,424 times
I was going to leave a long message but I changed it to simply saying.........yes. Most everyone is.
Corporate America sucks. Retail America sucks.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:25 AM

5,076 posts, read 7,409,644 times
This is a choice that we collectively have made, on a number of levels. It doesn't have to be this way if we really want to change it.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
This is a choice that we collectively have made, on a number of levels. It doesn't have to be this way if we really want to change it.

I didnt make it that choice.......you really had no choice if you wanted to keep your job........These changed evolved over time in a lot of businesses. Most people,myself included, rolled along.
Now in my 40's, I have finally realized just how out of hand it has become. Again, this country has become too dependent on making loads of cash. I blame corporations and big businesses and rich congressman who are out of touch with the middle class or whats left of that.
Aside from winning Lotto and being in control of your own life, I dont see things changing for the better.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:52 AM

5,076 posts, read 7,409,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I didnt make it that choice.......you really had no choice if you wanted to keep your job........These changed evolved over time in a lot of businesses. Most people,myself included, rolled along.
Now in my 40's, I have finally realized just how out of hand it has become. Again, this country has become too dependent on making loads of cash. I blame corporations and big businesses and rich congressman who are out of touch with the middle class or whats left of that.
Aside from winning Lotto and being in control of your own life, I dont see things changing for the better.
It's a collective choice, not really an individual one, and one made without regard to the downside consequences. The adoption of a value system that puts work above all else combined with excessive consumerism and debt acquisition have left many people as wage slaves.

Of course, it's necessary for most people to work to survive, but we've pushed it to an extreme.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:04 AM

3 posts, read 2,797 times
It's a collective choice, as dazzleman said. Beyond that, you do have a choice - start your own business, or work in a position that has set hours. But you'll be paid less, of course.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:11 AM

699 posts, read 550,320 times
This country has gone down the drain, employers expect you to work past 40 hours or whatever it takes to get the job done. I get calls from clients at 930 at night on holidays, there is no respect for personal life in this country, its all about me me me me & money money money.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:15 AM

10,830 posts, read 11,935,479 times
Currently, I am not a corporate slave. I work about 40 hours per week, M-F and get 23 PTO days per year. Can't complain.

BUT, my previous jobs were more slave-like, especially my first one. My first job in my career was working me anywhere from 40-70 hours per week, with about 10 weekends per year. It was atrocious and should be illegal, if you ask me. We got 5 weeks of vacation there, but barely had time to use any of it. For these reasons, turnover was VERY high.

My second job was much better, with 18 PTO days and 40 hour weeks, with overtime pay during certain periods throughout the year, which was great.

My third job was 40-45 hours a week, with about 6 weekends per year and only 3 weeks of PTO per year. I wasn't that happy with that.

In my opinion, we need massive SWEEPING Federal legislation NOW that mandates overtime pay even for salaried employees working over 40 hours per week. We also need mandatory 4 weeks of PTO per year, which is very reasonable. So, people are free to work more than 40 hours a week if they wish, but only under good reciprocal circumstances or overtime pay.

Currently, the average American employee only receives 2 weeks of vacation time per YEAR. That means they are expected to work 50 out of 52 weeks, which is absolutely ridiculous and inhumane IMO.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
This country has gone down the drain, employers expect you to work past 40 hours or whatever it takes to get the job done. I get calls from clients at 930 at night on holidays, there is no respect for personal life in this country, its all about me me me me & money money money.
Yep! And it very sad.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:29 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,066,289 times
Luckily I am not a corporate slave either. I work 40 hrs, and not one minute more, all M-F with 28 PTO days (incl sick time) with the option to buy 6 additional.

There is just sooo much more to life than my job. Boating, snowmobiling, skiing, flying, scuba diving, hiking, camping, biking......and on and on.

The remaining 128 hours each week define who I am, not my job!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Currently, I am not a corporate slave. I work about 40 hours per week, M-F and get 23 PTO days per year. Can't complain.

BUT, my previous jobs were more slave-like, especially my first one. My first job in my career was working me anywhere from 40-70 hours per week, with about 10 weekends per year. It was atrocious and should be illegal, if you ask me. We got 5 weeks of vacation there, but barely had time to use any of it. For these reasons, turnover was VERY high.

My second job was much better, with 18 PTO days and 40 hour weeks, with overtime pay during certain periods throughout the year, which was great.

My third job was 40-45 hours a week, with about 6 weekends per year and only 3 weeks of PTO per year. I wasn't that happy with that.

In my opinion, we need massive SWEEPING Federal legislation NOW that mandates overtime pay even for salaried employees working over 40 hours per week. We also need mandatory 4 weeks of PTO per year, which is very reasonable. So, people are free to work more than 40 hours a week if they wish, but only under good reciprocal circumstances or overtime pay.

Currently, the average American employee only receives 2 weeks of vacation time per YEAR. That means they are expected to work 50 out of 52 weeks, which is absolutely ridiculous and inhumane IMO.
Wow!

Normally I don't agree with NEP on a lot of things, but I fully support this!

For anyone interested, check this out:

Europe’s amazing vacation laws - Salon.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut