U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 07:59 AM

1,061 posts, read 943,129 times

Advertisements

I've been doing a lot of "homemade" Indian food lately (which is to say, jars of various sauces and hoping for the best) but I'm craving something a little more authentic. I've actually never been to an Indian restaurant before. Can anyone make some recommendations? I'd like to stay in New Haven County, preferably between New Haven and Wallingford (Hamden, Cheshire, North Haven, maybe a little further south if need be).

I remember there being another thread recently but I can't find it. :/

Also willing to take some other Asian/South Asian cuisine suggestions, not necessarily just Indian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 09:52 AM

13,126 posts, read 15,712,022 times
Coromandel in Orange and Thali in New Haven are the best in the area by far, IMO. Both have an exceptional buffet, although I was blown away by Thali's Sunday buffet recently.

Honorable mentions: Sitar, Zaroka, and India Palace in New Haven. Darbar in Branford, Star of India in Orange, Baingan in Shelton. Heard good things about Swagat in West Haven.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:56 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,983,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
I've been doing a lot of "homemade" Indian food lately (which is to say, jars of various sauces and hoping for the best) but I'm craving something a little more authentic. I've actually never been to an Indian restaurant before. Can anyone make some recommendations? I'd like to stay in New Haven County, preferably between New Haven and Wallingford (Hamden, Cheshire, North Haven, maybe a little further south if need be).

I remember there being another thread recently but I can't find it. :/

Also willing to take some other Asian/South Asian cuisine suggestions, not necessarily just Indian.
If you want really authentic and willing to drive north rather than south, check out the following. Not sure about your spice tolerance but these are both on the heavier side. Order off the menu (i.e. avoid the lunch hour buffets)

Priya Indian Cuisine, Hartford

Naatiya Indian Restaurant

Old 04-19-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
If you want really authentic and willing to drive north rather than south, check out the following. Not sure about your spice tolerance but these are both on the heavier side. Order off the menu (i.e. avoid the lunch hour buffets)

Priya Indian Cuisine, Hartford

Naatiya Indian Restaurant
My spice tolerance is very high. I absolutely love spicy food and it's nearly impossible to find real "spicy" in a restaurant.

Unfortunately I'm not much for heading all the way up to Hartford. :/

Old 04-19-2014, 11:06 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,983,544 times
Quote:
My spice tolerance is very high. I absolutely love spicy food and it's nearly impossible to find real "spicy" in a restaurant.

One that's a lot closer to you and very good is:

UDUPI BHAVAN

This is REALLY authentic and excellent food...you'll seldom if ever see non-Indians dining there. But a couple of caveats--it's 100% vegetarian, ambience is non-existent, and they serve on styrofoam/plastic. I'd go there a lot more often if it wasn't 25 miles away from us. Never had a bad meal there.

Last edited by htfdcolt; 04-19-2014 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 04-19-2014, 11:30 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,209,494 times
Like Stylo said, Coromandel is great. We eat there a lot. Excellent food and service.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:40 PM

13,126 posts, read 15,712,022 times
Quote:

No need to go that far. There's an abundance of good Indian in the New Haven vicinity.

Tikkaway in New Haven is a really cool option. It's like Chipotle in format, but Indian. It currently has among the best Yelp ratings I've ever seen! 5 stars and 120+ reviews.

You might also want to try Lalibela Ethiopian in New Haven sometime. Very nice place. Ethiopian food has a lot of Indian influence.

Also, you might like Malaysian food. Bentara in New Haven is very good.

Then there's Thai, of course. Another culture with curry dishes. I'd recommend Thai Awesome in Hamden, Taste of Thai in Milford, and Thai Taste, Rice Pot, and Jeera Thai in New Haven.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:16 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,209,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
No need to go that far. There's an abundance of good Indian in the New Haven vicinity.

Tikkaway in New Haven is a really cool option. It's like Chipotle in format, but Indian. It currently has among the best Yelp ratings I've ever seen! 5 stars and 120+ reviews.

You might also want to try Lalibela Ethiopian in New Haven sometime. Very nice place. Ethiopian food has a lot of Indian influence.

Also, you might like Malaysian food. Bentara in New Haven is very good.

Then there's Thai, of course. Another culture with curry dishes. I'd recommend Thai Awesome in Hamden, Taste of Thai in Milford, and Thai Taste, Rice Pot, and Jeera Thai in New Haven.

Plus that. Tikkaway is just awesome.
Speaking of Thai.......Thai House in Orange is excellent. Its on Post Rd across from the Coromandel plaza.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

Aha, this was the place mentioned in that last thread that I couldn't remember the name of.

Quote:
This is REALLY authentic and excellent food...you'll seldom if ever see non-Indians dining there. But a couple of caveats--it's 100% vegetarian, ambience is non-existent, and they serve on styrofoam/plastic. I'd go there a lot more often if it wasn't 25 miles away from us. Never had a bad meal there.
This place looks really good actually despite being vegetarian. Again though, my concern is that I'm never up north of Wallingford at all, but next time I am I may try it.

Quote:
I love Thai and there's a place or two in Wallingford that are sufficient. Looking to try something completely new. I'll probably try Tikkaway.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:39 AM

990 posts, read 517,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Plus that. Tikkaway is just awesome.
Speaking of Thai.......Thai House in Orange is excellent. Its on Post Rd across from the Coromandel plaza.
I've been eating Thai in the area for years--and I recently discovered Mai Thai in Orange. GREAT Thai! I was eating at Thai House and rotating the New Haven Thai places downtown before that. Taste of Thai is meh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut