U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 09:36 PM

13,322 posts, read 15,979,713 times

Advertisements

Wallingford is a good well rounded option in the middle. Middletown is good if you want a small bar scene with a good downtown.

Really need to know more about your preferences. Age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 02:29 AM

394 posts, read 428,401 times
Also What is your budget? I kind of need more information to really answer your question, but I can list some towns that I like between Hartford and New Haven though.

Exactly between the 2 like somewhere near I-91, I really wouldn't want to live in those places but you could try Wallingford, Middletown, Meriden, or Southington. One of my uncles lives in Southington and he says its very nice, but I still wouldn't live there because its too close to major cities.

I really need more info to answer you in more detail especially what your budget is because places can vary by prices.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:29 AM

1,011 posts, read 709,793 times
If I were looking to live between Hartford and NH I would probably pick Durham.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:00 AM

6,502 posts, read 4,461,715 times
I live in Hamden. If you can live away from main roads like Dixwell Ave, it's not too bad. But being a neighbor to new haven has its draw backs unfortunately. Were also have high property taxes.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:11 AM

14,588 posts, read 20,271,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I live in Hamden. If you can live away from main roads like Dixwell Ave, it's not too bad. But being a neighbor to new haven has its draw backs unfortunately. Were also have high property taxes.
Friends of mine in East Haven say the same thing. Lots of spillover from New Haven causing trouble in town.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:49 AM

1,984 posts, read 2,258,438 times
We've been in Wallingford for almost a year now and love it. We are about 20-25 minutes from the West Farms mall in Hartford which we prefer over the dingy Meriden Mall and the overstuffed Milford mall. Milford was where I grew up and as of late it seems way overcrowded especially along the Post Road which is wise to avoid on weekends. Route 5 on the other hand in Wallingford and North Haven gets buys but traffic moves. It by no means turns into a stand still and there are plenty of backroads to take to get you near the store you want. Right up to the Meriden line there are tons of stores and shopping for everything you need from grocery, clothes, home, etc.

We moved from East Haven and that town definitely had a lot of spill over from New Haven and was not the nicest of places to be. There are nicer parts of town but for the money you can do a lot better.

Access to the highways is very easy with both the Parkway and 91 running through Wallingford, plus you have 68 which can bring you into Cheshire or over to Durham. You are also close to Route 17 and 80 which can get you to Guilford, Clinton, etc. One thing we love is that we are able to avoid New Haven and the connections there to get where we need. The Parkway can takes us to West Haven, Orange, Milford, and points South while 91 gets us North to Hartford, and then the backroads easily get you to 95 North by Guilford/Branford so you really avoid all the bad traffic areas altogether.

Taxes and utilities are pretty unmatched in this area as well. I know the electric is a big selling point for the town. Hamden is another option but we stayed away for a few reasons, two being the traffic around the main drives where the shopping is and the taxes which are very high in comparison to surrounding towns.

Durham and Cheshire are nice towns, sleepy with one being more rural/farm oriented and both close down pretty early. The access to them from main highways is also a little off the path, there is only two main roads in Cheshire (10/68) and if one is clogged there is not a lot of options for getting around.

We are in our 30's, and found that Wallingford offered the best all around for our money and it was very accommodating to budgets of all sizes. You can find homes around 200k or upwards of 600k and all are in nice areas. The only part of town that is a little less desirable is near the railroad tracks right where Route 5 goes through the center. It's not a bad area in terms of crime or unsafe, the curb appeal and layouts are just not very alluring. Other than that, the rest of the town is amazing and cozy.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:00 AM

207 posts, read 194,346 times
I'll be selling my home in the Westfield section of Middletown shortly. Its a lovely area within minutes of I-91.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:18 AM

332 posts, read 237,678 times
I'll second clutchrider's recommendation of Wallingford. We moved here about 5 months ago and are very happy with our choice. I work in New Haven, my wife works in Hartford and, barring a snow storm, my commute is 20-25 minutes while my wife's is 25-30 minutes. (I'll add the caveat that she is a school teacher so she may be heading north earlier than the main rush hour.)

Wallingford has everything we want/need and is very easy to get around. The downtown area is quaint with some decent restaurants and bars, a candy store, coffee shop/breakfast type place, etc. The public library is a gem, the YMCA is fantastic and we have been very please with the recreational offerings through the town.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:35 AM

1,984 posts, read 2,258,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
I'll second clutchrider's recommendation of Wallingford. We moved here about 5 months ago and are very happy with our choice. I work in New Haven, my wife works in Hartford and, barring a snow storm, my commute is 20-25 minutes while my wife's is 25-30 minutes. (I'll add the caveat that she is a school teacher so she may be heading north earlier than the main rush hour.)

Wallingford has everything we want/need and is very easy to get around. The downtown area is quaint with some decent restaurants and bars, a candy store, coffee shop/breakfast type place, etc. The public library is a gem, the YMCA is fantastic and we have been very please with the recreational offerings through the town.
I'll add that although I am not a tennis fan this town sure keeps their courts immaculate and well lit for evening play. Even the parks and rec areas I have seen around town are all groomed and maintained. Also, the people around town seem very nice and respectful which is always assuring. We sneak the back way through Choate to go shopping along Rte. 5.

One thing is that Wallingford does not have it's own waste pickup, you can either bring it yourself to the dump or just pay a company like All Waste a quarterly price to pickup your recycle and garbage. It's $75 every quarter and worth it since you get the super large containers to fillup.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:56 AM

7 posts, read 4,968 times
Southington!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut