Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 07:37 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times

Advertisements

It depends on the gas station. It's up to them to set the policy. Debit cards do have a lower fee for the merchant, but there's still a fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,605 times
My understanding is that if you use a card, there is always a fee to the merchant. How you use it though determines whether it's a reduced fee or not. If you use a debit card, and sign for it as if it were a regular cc transaction (i.e. You do not enter your PIN number), it's treated like a regular credit transaction, with full transaction fees applying to the merchant. But if you do select "debit" and enter your PIN, it's a lower percentage charged to the merchant...but still a percentage. At that point I think it's up to the merchant whether they'll charge you the full credit card price to cover the fee, or charge you the cash price and eat the reduced fee. My gut tells me most will almost always charge the higher price and eat nothing

Old 04-21-2014, 08:25 PM

74 posts, read 87,481 times
Ok, I guess I am left wondering why some states, like CT pass along the price of the transaction fee to the consumer, and others, like NY, PA, DE do not. It's not like the merchants in those states are exempt from the transaction fees. Sorry, it doesn't make sense.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:31 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
Until a few years ago, the prices were always the same. However, I think they changed the law to allow gas stations to charge less for cash if they wanted. Many chose to do this, but some did not.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guatmom2 View Post
Ok, I guess I am left wondering why some states, like CT pass along the price of the transaction fee to the consumer, and others, like NY, PA, DE do not. It's not like the merchants in those states are exempt from the transaction fees. Sorry, it doesn't make sense.
Haha! Your post got me wondering and so I did a little poking around... CT Gas stations are not charging "more" for cc purchases, they're just giving a "discount" to those paying in cash. It's an awesome loophole! Apparently charging more to credit card payers is against the law, but you could certainly offer a discounted price for cash payment, with no complaints. thanks for your post -- I learned something today

Old 04-22-2014, 04:33 AM

74 posts, read 87,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Haha! Your post got me wondering and so I did a little poking around... CT Gas stations are not charging "more" for cc purchases, they're just giving a "discount" to those paying in cash. It's an awesome loophole! Apparently charging more to credit card payers is against the law, but you could certainly offer a discounted price for cash payment, with no complaints. thanks for your post -- I learned something today
Lalalally, thank you for that "clarification". So in essence, I have been looking at it all wrong, LOL, I should be grateful they offer a discount for cash! Looks like we both learned something.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Lalalally, thank you for that "clarification". So in essence, I have been looking at it all wrong, LOL, I should be grateful they offer a discount for cash! Looks like we both learned something.
Not sure it's true -- it's just something I came across last night when I was googling. Makes total sense to me though

Old 04-22-2014, 05:59 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
What would be amazing is if the pumps had cash machines at them like the self checkouts do at stores. I can select cash, insert money, pump, all without leaving my vehicle or the pump. Then it would shutoff at my prepay price or if I was under budget then like a self checkout it would spit me out change.

Personally they should bring back the full service lane so that I can pay the attendant the cash price without getting out of the car. It's not that I am a lazy person I'm young but I just don't care to guesstimate how much fuel I need by the dollar, go inside, wait in line for the 70 year old to buy his lottery tickets, remember my pump #, walk back out and pump hoping I use all the money I gave him so I do not have to walk back to get my change. Then deal with the pump slowing to a snails pace for the last dollar or two of my prepay. It's worth the cost for me to simply swipe, pump, leave.

The process for cash payments is just broken and outdated, they make it more of a hassle to pay cash so they reap the benefit of charging you that insane rate for using credit. The fee to process a credit transaction is actually less than the difference in one gallon of cash vs. credit price. But don't hold your breath for any changes soon. I usually take the drive to BJ's in Wallingford to fillup. Cheaper gas and same price cash or credit. The savings alone in the gas prices there would be worth a membership if you don't have one.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:19 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
Quote:
Yes, obviously you should be extremely grateful for having a tiny discount off of some of the most expensive gas prices in the country.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:34 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
FYI..Filled up this morning Debit card same as credit price. Regular Gas was $3.94/Gal! Forget about driving a diesel in CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut