U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 12:53 PM

831 posts, read 1,231,246 times

Advertisements

I was reading and it seems CT is currently the only state that groups kids into academic grades by calendar year. Why do we do this? It seems crazy, particularly for boys, to have them potentially start at age 4.5. (My son has a 12/28 birthday, so it's particularly relevant to us).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 12:56 PM

2,714 posts, read 8,424,001 times
I like it done this way. I believe the cutoff is December 31st. So your son COULD attend when he is 4.5 years old, there is nothing to say he has to.

I feel like this way it gives parents the choice to make for their individual child and what is right for them. One child may not be ready at 4.5 and another may be very ready for kindy. It's a personal choice, and I like that it's on a case by case basis.

My children so far have been over ready for Kindergarten so much so that they are bored when they go. I can't imagine having to make them wait a whole other year just because there birthday happens to be in Oct or November.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:26 PM

1,100 posts, read 957,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
I was reading and it seems CT is currently the only state that groups kids into academic grades by calendar year. Why do we do this? It seems crazy, particularly for boys, to have them potentially start at age 4.5. (My son has a 12/28 birthday, so it's particularly relevant to us).

It also might vary from town to town. The town I grew up in, in Massachusetts the cut off was 12/31 as well. However, my cousin in another town in MA the cut off was 8/31 I believe. Like the other poster stated you could always choose to put your child in kindergarten if you feel they are ready, or hold them back. Totally your call.

A friend of mine was born in December, however her mom choose to keep her back until she was 5. She graduated two years after me even though she is just a year younger than me.

Even though my bday is in June, I was one of the younger kids in my class and I graduated when I was 17, and a lot of people were 18, and some might have even been 19 possibly. I remember people talking about voting in the presidential election, but I couldn't since I was only 17.

Just think about your kid, and if you feel they are ready. Nothing wrong w/ waiting till next year if you feel they aren't quite ready yet.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:04 PM

8,339 posts, read 13,224,614 times
CT is not alone, most NY districts do the same thing.....

Old 04-22-2014, 09:33 PM

1,061 posts, read 956,087 times
It's a choice. Some people say that kids who are older have an advantage. That may be true for some. I started very young though (August) and was pretty far ahead anyway. Honestly if your kid is 4 and ready for kindergarten you're kind of doing them a disservice by not getting them started.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:51 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,031,811 times
Growing up in CT Region 15, the cutoff was August 31st.. So definitely varies. I'm not sure I understand the OP though.. Isn't it completely arbitrary? People are born all year around.. People will be 4.5 on an august cutoff too..

Old 04-23-2014, 12:54 PM

258 posts, read 706,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Growing up in CT Region 15, the cutoff was August 31st.. So definitely varies. I'm not sure I understand the OP though.. Isn't it completely arbitrary? People are born all year around.. People will be 4.5 on an august cutoff too..
No, they won't be 4.5 in kindergarten. If you have to be 5 by August 31st, than all the kids will be five when school starts in September.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:52 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,047,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lan3 View Post
No, they won't be 4.5 in kindergarten. If you have to be 5 by August 31st, than all the kids will be five when school starts in September.
But say .. just for argument sake.. this scenario: A child that really is ready for school and has a Sept. 15 birthday. That child would be effectively held back a year under an 8/31 cutoff. That would be way worse than a kid whose 4.75 at the start of school. (There are no 4.5 yr olds starting K. It would mean 5yr old by March if they were 4.5).

It works fine the way it is.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:54 PM

22,320 posts, read 36,830,775 times
I like this date as well. Given Connecticut's well respected public education system, I think it shows that the cutoff date is not a big deal. As noted, if you do not feel your child with a late birthday is ready to attend school, there is nothing saying you have to send them. I know many parents that opt to wait an extra year. It is the parent's choice. Jay

Old 04-28-2014, 07:09 AM

26 posts, read 42,240 times
Well, I am not sure how many of you actually have kids recently in K, but in the affluent communities, this makes a HUGE discrepancies in who is in your K class with your "ready to go to K" child. Your four year old ends up in with basically 6 year olds who have been held. Socially, physical, even education (since this is the third year they have seen the work), now your child is behind. It has huge impact on how your child feels about him or herself and how they relate to other children. Also, it seems to promote bullying (no 6 yo is the size of the 4 yo) and, if you want to get the heck out and look at private schools because its all gone so wrong you will find this fun fact: private school tend to just July1 or Sep1. Making syncing for transfers more difficult. So, IMO, CT should think about this more. Lower income families don't hold (you can google this) - they cannot afford the PK year, higher income does. It create division ... wonder why Darien sports are so dominant at the HS level? I am guessing 80% of their squad was already red shirted in PK because their parents could afford it. So, they get better college recruiters , etc..... just something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: