U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 01:16 PM

3,142 posts, read 7,514,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Most regulars on this forum try to avoid political discussions because it's always a lose-lose situation. Those regulars, from what I've seen, are mostly moderate Independents. Since there are more Independents than Democrats and Republicans in CT, I find this to be roughly in line with the party affiliation here.
I'd agree with this. I am a left leaning Independent who tends to stay far away from political discussions/arguments on this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 02:40 PM

2,604 posts, read 2,419,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Disclaimer: The below joke is a joke, do not take seriously but have a good laugh

Probably because during the day they have more important things to do like work and pay taxes instead of protesting in person

Yes a joke, but still,
You would call posting on the internet while you're SUPPOSED to be working as an example of good work ethic? I wonder what would happen if the mcdonalds, walmart associate, or hotel clerk decided to use a computer and mess around on here while they were clocked in? Forget that. They get written up if they sit down. Their like an animal. They should give them a bag to go to the bathroom in like a horse.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:57 AM

2,451 posts, read 2,131,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
There's local people that run in state/local elections as Republicans that are to the left of the right leaning members of the democratic party. Their changing their policies and saying whatever they have to to get elected. Mitt Romney being a prime example of a republican being elected in MA(the most liberal state in the country)
Scott Brown is another example. These people do not represent the national gop on political issues. Of course once Romney went national, he became "severely conservative". Honestly, ever seen such an outright liar in your life? I honestly have no idea what that guy stands for. He's the "etch a sketch" candidate. I'd much rather elect an east coast democrat candidate for a local election than a east coast republican "light" candidate. At least you know the democrat is running for what he stands for and not just saying anything to get elected.
Like east coast Democrat John Kerry, who was for the Iraq war before he was against it? (pro tip: politicians of both parties will sometimes say anything to get elected)

Old 04-24-2014, 09:15 AM

2,127 posts, read 1,559,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Sure, we have conservative posters on here such Sigequox, but we also have liberal ones as well such as yourself, nep321, and Mlassoff as well as some mostly independents like kidyankee764.

Seems pretty balanced to me which is good, right??
I am definitely fiscally and constitutionally conservative. However I am liberal about many social issues. Def not the Tea Party Bandwagon guy. Sure, much of my politics/philosophy is more in line with the Tea Party than the Obama Administration, but they both have serious fundamental flaws.

I'm on the side of "smaller government". I will never have a mainstream Libertarian candidate to vote for, so I'm stuck voting for the hacks in the Republican party because if there's one thing the democratic party is NOT, it's pro small government.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:50 PM

22,365 posts, read 36,888,410 times
I don't think this forum has more people who are conservative. I think most are moderates and independents. We have a few vocal conservatives but that is not the majority at all. Jay

Old 04-24-2014, 01:16 PM

2,604 posts, read 2,419,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Like east coast Democrat John Kerry, who was for the Iraq war before he was against it? (pro tip: politicians of both parties will sometimes say anything to get elected)
The pressure exerted by the BUSH administration for the war in iraq including lies was tremendous. Even the media buckled and became a soundboard for the bush policies/lies. It was straight up lies. Read the new american century document please signed off by many key members of that administation including cheney, wolfowitz, rumsfeld ect. It was disgusting to watch. Hilary also voted yes for the war in iraq and it cost her the nomination against Obama.

When you vote for Obama, you know what you're getting. No surprises. It's clear what he stands for. Romney was not clear. He was all over the place contradicting himself completely. In CT, repubs like get linda mcmahon get hurt bad when trying to run here if they ever want to go national later on. They have to swing(lie) to the left of the GOP to win in CT.

You can't compare romney to others. He was an exceptional flip flopper. You know where santorum is generally coming from.(turn america into a theocracy), where paul ryan stands(kill medicare ect) You know where Obama leans. You have no clue with Romney. He was the king of flip floppers. Romey's campaing slogan should have been "I'm not Obama" because that's all I know for sure he stood for.

Last edited by mikelizard860; 04-24-2014 at 01:25 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I don't think this forum has more people who are conservative. I think most are moderates and independents. We have a few vocal conservatives but that is not the majority at all. Jay
I mostly peruse other states forums on here. i have noticed in your more "conservative states" the left project a louder voice. In liberal states, the right makes a bit more noise on certain issues.

People are more vocal about thing that frustrate them, rather than preaching to the choir. There's stats out there about people being more likely to complain about products/services/etc when having a negative experience than praising them when having a positive experience. Human nature.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
The pressure exerted by the BUSH administration for the war in iraq including lies was tremendous. Even the media buckled and became a soundboard for the bush policies/lies. It was straight up lies. Read the new american century document please signed off by many key members of that administation including cheney, wolfowitz, rumsfeld ect. It was disgusting to watch. Hilary also voted yes for the war in iraq and it cost her the nomination against Obama.

When you vote for Obama, you know what you're getting. No surprises. It's clear what he stands for. Romney was not clear. He was all over the place contradicting himself completely. In CT, repubs like get linda mcmahon get hurt bad when trying to run here if they ever want to go national later on. They have to swing(lie) to the left of the GOP to win in CT.

You can't compare romney to others. He was an exceptional flip flopper. You know where santorum is generally coming from.(turn america into a theocracy), where paul ryan stands(kill medicare ect) You know where Obama leans. You have no clue with Romney. He was the king of flip floppers. Romey's campaing slogan should have been "I'm not Obama" because that's all I know for sure he stood for.
Yeah, Obama is clear. Clear that you can keep your hope and never get your change. How can you not win while dishing out all that government cheese? Lets have a nation of lazy able-bodied degenerates who refuse to find a job. They are the backbone of this country, not the middle class or the uber successful 1%ers. barf.

IMO this country doesn't need another politician, it needs a leader. Obama can be the best speaker in the world, but the world will still suck because at the end of the day he is just like Bush, and Feinstein, and Hillary and whatever that homophobic toolbag in Arizonas name is....a politician.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:27 PM

5,096 posts, read 7,507,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I find that most people here don't fit into the conservative definition as it plays out at the national level. There are some rabid liberals here, but most are moderate/independent in their philosophy, as I think this state generally is. I think Connecticut generally supports, on a national level, the party generally perceived as less extreme, and that switches back and forth between the Democrats and Republicans.

Personally, I think the doctrines of both parties are highly inadequate to address our structural economic problems, which we have been ignoring and masking as they have grown the last few decades. It's hard to know whom to support these days. The Democrats have a lot of baggage that I find very offensive and off-putting, so there's no way I could support them. Some people feel that way about Republicans. The sad part is that few people really like the party they proclaim to support.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:59 PM

2,394 posts, read 3,138,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Personally, I think the doctrines of both parties are highly inadequate to address our structural economic problems, which we have been ignoring and masking as they have grown the last few decades.
Very well put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut