U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-25-2014, 05:12 AM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
5,082 posts, read 7,423,708 times
Reputation: 4903

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Hartford-renter, don't confuse my posts with others. I would never make an absurd claim like that. The notion that there's no difference between obama/democrats and the gop is simply factually not true. There's a grand canyon of difference between them. That's why the government is operating so inefficiently. Polar opposites. Almost like different countries with such a huge difference in ideology on both fiscal and social issues.
At a high level, there isn't much difference in results. We've had a bipartisan economic policy for several decades that has resulted in the accumulation of large amounts of debt while we export jobs that pay well and replace them with low-paying service jobs. This has remained constant regardless of who is in power.

The two parties pitch the policies differently, to reflect their different constituencies, but it's mostly manipulation of their bases. But the Obama administration has done nothing to reverse any of these long-standing trends. It has in actuality accelerated them, even while distracting its party base with divisive rhetoric.

The rich have gotten richer under Obama, while the poor and middle class have suffered, to a greater extent than under previous administrations.

Last edited by dazzleman; 04-25-2014 at 05:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2014, 07:16 AM
 
2,604 posts, read 2,384,865 times
Reputation: 2395
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
At a high level, there isn't much difference in results. We've had a bipartisan economic policy for several decades that has resulted in the accumulation of large amounts of debt while we export jobs that pay well and replace them with low-paying service jobs. This has remained constant regardless of who is in power.

The two parties pitch the policies differently, to reflect their different constituencies, but it's mostly manipulation of their bases. But the Obama administration has done nothing to reverse any of these long-standing trends. It has in actuality accelerated them, even while distracting its party base with divisive rhetoric.

The rich have gotten richer under Obama, while the poor and middle class have suffered, to a greater extent than under previous administrations.
Actually. There's a HUGE difference for the poor under Obama in states like CT. Do you know how many low income adults had no health insurance and now are covered under medicaid or can buy through an exchange with subsidies that didn't exist before? Lots of people had jobs that provided crap or no insurance or a part time jobs w/o benefits, but were not on welfare so weren't able to medicaid. This existed forever. Do you know what type of difference that makes in someone's life? Now they can actually get some preventiive care that WILL save lives. Unfortunately, some U.S. states are screwing the poor people by not expanding medicaid coverage under the affordable care act. Thankfully, CT fully implemented obamacare, unlike some states in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2014, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Fairfield County, CT
14,474 posts, read 20,052,743 times
Reputation: 4610
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
This is what the liberals will tell you...When someone tells you that the economic climate in CT is normal you have to question their truthfulness.
And nasty posts like this are exactly why I avoid political discussions on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2014, 10:40 AM
 
234 posts, read 392,241 times
Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Does anyone else notice the right wing bias on this forum? Many members clearly shows a bias towards republican idealogy when in fact this is a CLEAR cut democrat state. Feel free to discuss how this forum compares to ACTUAL ct political views because in my opinion it doesn't represent the actual viewpoints of ct and sounds more like it's a forum in Texas. This is clearly an on topic post about ct's political viewpoints. Feel free to discuss.
Liberal democrat here and I absolutely agree with this assessment. I don't tend to get involved in the political discussions on this forum as there tends to be a lot of name calling. However, I do think that some of the states liberal tendencies come through when people start talking about social issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2014, 11:13 AM
 
Location: SWCT, close to coast
56,566 posts, read 39,048,922 times
Reputation: 8875
I'd rather talk about weather then politics. Much more interesting and way more fun. :-) I do find it strange more people reply to this thread then the weather thread. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2014, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Wallingford, CT
1,061 posts, read 943,757 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I'd rather talk about weather then politics. Much more interesting and way more fun. :-) I do find it strange more people reply to this thread then the weather thread. lol
The weather has been less exciting lately.

Quote:
When you vote for Obama, you know what you're getting. No surprises.
Unfortunately this wasn't true. That isn't to say that I like or dislike the guy, but continuing some of the Bush policies was highly unexpected. The NSA spying **** is the biggest and most offensive problem, of course.

To your other point, I actually don't blame Romney. For one, he constantly had people whispering in his ear saying that he was a shoe-in, even though many of the earlier polls showed otherwise. He was actually good in debates. He tried to cater to too many branches of his own party, which have vastly different views. I didn't dislike Mccain either, or Christie for that matter if we think about the future.

Quote:
How do you come to that conclusion especially in this forum? Many people don't even bother to post anything political here because it will get locked down or moderated and you either get your post deleted and you don't get your last point of view in. Some threads you already know where it will end up and most people don't even bother with semi-political threads.
It all depends on the level of vitriol. I think people are capable of discourse on sensitive topics, particularly here. CD is very heavily moderated, but if you aren't breaking the rules, what are you afraid of? If you don't have a deep personal investment in something like politics, it's easy to separate yourself from the words said, easy to not be offended into raging and flailing into getting a thread locked.

Quote:
And in real life I don't think conservatives are more vocal about their feelings either. Take the Trayvon martin case, granted it happened in Florida, but even in CT, all the liberals were calling for Zimmerman's head, marching, and protesting like crazy even thought, based on the evidence and the law, the police and prosecutors find no reason to charge him.
I'm liberal and disagree. I engaged in a pretty healthy debate even in my place of work on the matter. It's all about evidence. Course, I'm also both liberal and for the death penalty, so maybe I'm just an anomaly.

Quote:
Medicaid is fantastic and should be expanded even more.
Can't tell if you're trolling. Genuinely interested. This came off as sarcasm.

Quote:
I just pointed out that you are being disingenuous when you say "there is no difference between republicans and democrats" because there certainly is.
Not really. He who has the gold makes the rules. Gold doesn't come in a red or blue flavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2014, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
5,082 posts, read 7,423,708 times
Reputation: 4903
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Actually. There's a HUGE difference for the poor under Obama in states like CT. Do you know how many low income adults had no health insurance and now are covered under medicaid or can buy through an exchange with subsidies that didn't exist before? Lots of people had jobs that provided crap or no insurance or a part time jobs w/o benefits, but were not on welfare so weren't able to medicaid. This existed forever. Do you know what type of difference that makes in someone's life? Now they can actually get some preventiive care that WILL save lives. Unfortunately, some U.S. states are screwing the poor people by not expanding medicaid coverage under the affordable care act. Thankfully, CT fully implemented obamacare, unlike some states in the south.
We're not talking about the same thing. You're sort of proving my point. As the rich get richer under his administration's policies, he's thrown a few welfare-type crumbs at the poor. It's really not a good path. Replacing well-paying jobs with benefits with minimum wage jobs and a government subsidy for health care is something I don't really consider progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2014, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Bottom of the Ocean
679 posts, read 813,463 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
The weather has been less exciting lately.

Not necessarily! If only more intelligent minds could appreciate the uniqueness of the planet, I guarantee it would be the more engaging topic. Carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2014, 09:06 PM
 
2,604 posts, read 2,384,865 times
Reputation: 2395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post



Can't tell if you're trolling. Genuinely interested. This came off as sarcasm.

I didn't dislike Mccain either, or Christie for that matter if we think about the future.
I'm liberal and disagree. I engaged in a pretty healthy debate even in my place of work on the matter. It's all about evidence. Course, I'm also both liberal and for the death penalty, so maybe I'm just an anomaly.
.
You are NOT a liberal. Are you being sarcastic?

I'm not trolling when I say medicaid should be expanded(that's what obamacare did! hello!) and given more funding. Canada's entire free healthcare system with no insurance is basically medicaid for EVERYONE.
You're not a liberal if you don't support universal healthcare, support a death penalty, and like Mccain(one of the biggest war mongers in history) and Christie. Liberals don't support the GOP. Maybe you need to realize what a liberal is. It's the LEFT side of the democratic party. You sound like a republican or someone that possibly swings both ways. Definitely not a liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2014, 09:56 PM
 
1,692 posts, read 1,414,277 times
Reputation: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Does anyone else notice the right wing bias on this forum? Many members clearly shows a bias towards republican idealogy when in fact this is a CLEAR cut democrat state. Feel free to discuss how this forum compares to ACTUAL ct political views because in my opinion it doesn't represent the actual viewpoints of ct and sounds more like it's a forum in Texas. This is clearly an on topic post about ct's political viewpoints. Feel free to discuss.
I have observed a rightwing bias and I think it's "Connecticut" as well as other topic areas that I won't discuss here. Part of it is the cut and dry name of the website attracts a non-random sample of "clean cut" residents in CT.

But also I think there is a preference from the top down site administering to censor posts from the left and very few from the right. Since there's subjectivity, it's easy to manipulate the consensus. This may be unintentional but it's my observation this is happening in many topic areas including the state forum. Someone can test the waters by asking if Fox News is fair and balanced and if you get a majority "yes", that'll give you a good indication where these people stand on issues and where it lines up with your real neighbors' views down the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top