U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 02:51 PM

2,604 posts, read 2,386,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Perhaps that's because 1/3 of our state's population resides in FFC, and the county next door, New Haven, has strong ties to FFC.
Obama won fairfield county 217,000 to 175,000
United States presidential election in Connecticut, 2012 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And he absolutely smoked romney in new haven county
218,000 to 138,000

If it wasn't for the south this would be a drastically different country. And we were nearly split up anyway during the civil war. There's been a grand canyon of difference in political opinion for a long time in america.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 02:59 PM

14,476 posts, read 20,069,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
United States presidential election in Connecticut, 2012 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

218,000 to 138,000

If it wasn't for the south this would be a drastically different country. And we were nearly split up anyway during the civil war. There's been a grand canyon of difference in political opinion for a long time in america.
Thanks for the stats, but I was responding to another poster who mentioned a FFC slant on this forum, which had nothing to do with the 2012 elections.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:15 PM

2,127 posts, read 1,531,984 times
Quote:

218,000 to 138,000

Not that it will ever happen..especially not anytime soon, but I would be 100% on board with splitting up the country. The left and the right are SO FAR apart it would really suck for tens of millions of people if EITHER party got their way completely.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Not that it will ever happen..especially not anytime soon, but I would be 100% on board with splitting up the country. The left and the right are SO FAR apart it.
I as well. I think the country would be much more functional and better for both sides if a bunch of really right wing states left the union and formed a new age right wing Christian confederacy where they could ban birth control, get rid of social security/medicare/medicaid, minimum wage laws, worker's rights laws, sexual/racial discrimination, ban all abortion even a day after due to rape/incest or retardation, ban sex education, no overtime after 40 hours, get rid of all regulation for water/food/environmental safety, ban teaching of evolution, make homosexual sex a crime like it used to be(sodomy), execute as many prisoners as possible for crimes even less than murder, start wars of convenience with foreign countries, and do everything else they want to do. Let's see how that works out for them. It would be like China except a theocracy like some Muslim countries(christian version though obviously). Anyone who doesn't like that can come back to the Union

Last edited by mikelizard860; 04-29-2014 at 03:43 PM..

Old 04-29-2014, 04:13 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,298,117 times
Quote:
I as well. I think the country would be much more functional and better for both sides if a bunch of really right wing states left the union and formed a new age right wing Christian confederacy where they could ban birth control, get rid of social security/medicare/medicaid, minimum wage laws, worker's rights laws, sexual/racial discrimination, ban all abortion even a day after due to rape/incest or retardation, ban sex education, no overtime after 40 hours, get rid of all regulation for water/food/environmental safety, ban teaching of evolution, make homosexual sex a crime like it used to be(sodomy), execute as many prisoners as possible for crimes even less than murder, start wars of convenience with foreign countries, and do everything else they want to do. Let's see how that works out for them. It would be like China except a theocracy like some Muslim countries(christian version though obviously). Anyone who doesn't like that can come back to the Union
You sound a bit unhinged

Let me frame the discussion as I see it

Our state is overwhelmingly liberal and those liberal ideas are being implemented in CT

Specifically a higher minimum wage, 10% spending increase, highest tax increase in history, strict gun control.

The forum discussion is going to address what is happening in CT, not necessarily political insight it doesn't mean the forum is right wing. People are just discussing the actually policy decisions that are being made right in front of our eyes.

You don't need to be political to note that with 80% of the legislature Democrat we are a Democratic state

You don't need to be political to make reference to the above changes and note the consequences.

The consequences being negative GDP and companies leaving. You seem to be in favor of the liberal policies and honestly good for you!

Just remember that your choices have consequences. I think that all people are doing is pointing out those consequences.

Own up to it

Old 04-29-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
You sound a bit unhinged

Let me frame the discussion as I see it

Our state is overwhelmingly liberal and those liberal ideas are being implemented in CT
lol. I'm not "unhinged" Listen to GOP rhetoric. Santorum wants no separation of church and state. This is not some fringe nutcase with a tin foil hat saying that. It's not a "hidden agenda" I think he has. He made that statement and stood by it on national tv. He nearly won the primary and is a serious player in GOP politics. Paul Ryan wanted to get rid of social security as we know it. Members of the hard right want no minimum wage whatsoever. Let the free market decide. This is the reality of the right wing of this country. The GOP has made a HARD shift to the right in recent years and so has their base. They've gone off the cliff. If you ran with this type of stuff in a local CT election, you'd lose by a landslide.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:39 AM

2,403 posts, read 2,077,910 times
Santorum a serious player in GOP politics? LOL. He lost his senate seat in 2006 and hasn't held elected office since.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 AM

8,956 posts, read 9,043,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
those liberal ideas are being implemented in CT

Specifically a higher minimum wage
A higher minimum wage is a liberal idea? That's sad then. I didn't realize only liberals thought the people at the very bottom of the jobs hierarchy should be able to keep up with inflation and COL increases.

What else is a liberal idea? Infrastructure?

I think we're only cavernously apart when you look at the extremists....

I actually consider myself more middle of the road on many issues and liberal on a few others. Unfortunately, the extremes have shifted so far even the middle has become a far different place.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:40 AM

1,888 posts, read 2,966,162 times
Quote:
Name one Republican who is for all that, and I'll name a Democrat who used to delight in the hanging Black people from trees until dead...

Old 04-30-2014, 10:54 AM

904 posts, read 1,287,284 times
TETTO, you must not watch MSNBC then. All republicans are exactly as was described by lizard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Name one Republican who is for all that, and I'll name a Democrat who used to delight in the hanging Black people from trees until dead...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut