Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:31 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,395,633 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else notice the right wing bias on this forum? Many members clearly shows a bias towards republican idealogy when in fact this is a CLEAR cut democrat state. Feel free to discuss how this forum compares to ACTUAL ct political views because in my opinion it doesn't represent the actual viewpoints of ct and sounds more like it's a forum in Texas. This is clearly an on topic post about ct's political viewpoints. Feel free to discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 10:42 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Most regulars on this forum try to avoid political discussions because it's always a lose-lose situation. Those regulars, from what I've seen, are mostly moderate Independents. Since there are more Independents than Democrats and Republicans in CT, I find this to be roughly in line with the party affiliation here.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:44 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,001 times
Treading a fine line.

Conservatives tend to be more vocal about their feelings, particularly online. Of course, any political view online is going to be more polarized online than in reality, because there is less accountability.

We had another thread about CT politics recently, but a similar sentiment was there. It's not that CT is more liberal or conservative. It's very much both and very much neither. On average, we are more liberal on social issues and more conservative financially (of course, this means that the traditional conservatives view us as RINOs. But it also means that traditional, social conservatives in CT have to be that much louder about it to not be viewed that way).

CT is really very moderate. More logical, less fluid. I'd call it reasonable. Generally speaking, if something seems extreme or crazy in either direction, someone from CT is more likely to say so. We're also more likely to change our views if proven wrong rather than stick to something illogical and foolish-looking.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
CT is really very moderate. More logical, less fluid.
Well stated and I completely agree. We have our extremes on both ends, but they are definitely the minority.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:50 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,298 times
Sure, we have conservative posters on here such Sigequox, but we also have liberal ones as well such as yourself, nep321, and Mlassoff as well as some mostly independents like kidyankee764.

Seems pretty balanced to me which is good, right??

Old 04-23-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Sure, we have conservative posters on here such Sigequox, but we also have liberal ones as well such as yourself, nep321, and Mlassoff as well as some mostly independents like kidyankee764.

Seems pretty balanced to me which is good, right??
I don't think "balance" of repub vs democrat ideas is a good thing. Whats the balance of issues like gay marriage? What's the "middle" on that?Ending social security/medicare, ect? The middle is a myth. There's a BIG HUGE gap in difference between people in this country on a LOT of political issues. Low information voter is truly the "middle".

Also, ct is NOT a swing state. Never has been a moderate state. Moderate being defined as a swing state. It's a sure fire democratic state every single presidential election I can remember recently. Repubs can win state elections because they change/etch a sketch their campaign issues and become less right wing. The national candidates of the GOP can't do that because they'll never win the nomination in the first place to run.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:59 AM

Florida is a great example of a moderate(50/50 voters) swing state. CT definitely not.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
I don't think "balance" of repub vs democrat ideas is a good thing. Whats the balance of issues like gay marriage? What's the "middle" on that?Ending social security/medicare, ect? The middle is a myth. There's a BIG HUGE gap in difference between people in this country on a LOT of political issues.

Also, ct is NOT a swing state. Never has been a moderate state. Moderate being defined as a swing state. It's a sure fire democratic state every single presidential election I can remember. Repubs can win state elections because they change/etch a sketch their campaign issues and become less right wing. The national candidates of the GOP can't do that because they'll never win the nomination in the first place to run.
Sure, we usually vote blue in presidential elections, but there are a ton of republican mayors/first selectmen/women statewide, and we've had our share of republican governors. I think if conservatives in other parts of the country were closer to your traditional New England conservative, you'd see CT voting red in national elections. Nobody said CT was a swing state.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Sure, we usually vote blue in presidential elections, but there are a ton of republican mayors/first selectmen/women statewide, and we've had our share of republican governors. I think if conservatives in other parts of the country were closer to your traditional New England conservative, you'd see CT voting red in national elections. Nobody said CT was a swing state.
There's local people that run in state/local elections as Republicans that are to the left of the right leaning members of the democratic party. Their changing their policies and saying whatever they have to to get elected. Mitt Romney being a prime example of a republican being elected in MA(the most liberal state in the country)
Scott Brown is another example. These people do not represent the national gop on political issues. Of course once Romney went national, he became "severely conservative". Honestly, ever seen such an outright liar in your life? I honestly have no idea what that guy stands for. He's the "etch a sketch" candidate. I'd much rather elect an east coast democrat candidate for a local election than a east coast republican "light" candidate. At least you know the democrat is running for what he stands for and not just saying anything to get elected.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:34 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
Disclaimer: The below joke is a joke, do not take seriously but have a good laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
Conservatives tend to be more vocal about their feelings, particularly online.
Probably because during the day they have more important things to do like work and pay taxes instead of protesting in person

Moving on, I'll admit that I am more of a conservative than anything else but I do not let my political view affect my work or lifestyle unless it directly impacts me. Meaning if something in my town or in the state like taxes was coming up for a debate I'd be more apt to discuss and care than say gay marriage. That is not because I don't think the discussion is important but it does not directly impact me and my life. Separation of church and state and all that, I may have a belief and ideal based on faith but that does not spill over to politics, friends, work-life relationships, etc.

Again, I'm not picking on one topic here just using an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut