Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 08:14 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times

Advertisements

What it is like those two counties I don't see people talking about it that much have anyone been there ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 08:56 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Many of us are familiar with both counties. Since they are very lightly populated compared to south west CT, they would be talked about less.

Tolland county includes such towns as Tolland, Mansfield/Storrs, Hebron, Coventry, Vernon, Elliington to name a few. They've all been noted on the board the past couple of weeks. You'll probably notice Tolland county become more popular as some towns within it offer affordable housing & good schools within commuting distance to Hartford

Windham county is CT's Quiet Corner and is scenically beautiful but somewhat remote and often rural. It too has been discussed recently with posts/discussions about Windham/ Willimantic, Killingly/Danielson, Pomfret, Woodstock. All of Windham county has only 118,000 people or so. The city of New Haven has 130,000 +/_ people.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:18 PM

2,184 posts, read 1,641,303 times
Yeah the reason why they aren't talked about much here is because there are not much major cities near by them and kind of less populated. You probably didn't notice this but also Litchfield County isn't talked about much here either. Litchfield is to the Northwest and its probably even less populated than Tolland and Windham.

Tolland County has towns like Vernon, Hebron, Tolland, Willington, and Union. They are kind of rural towns a little and have good school systems. But they never actually appealed to me that much. Why? Not actually sure, probably not enough plazas for amenities there, you must either go to hartford or manchester for both of them. I am not too familiar though with Tolland County because I don't drive there that much.

Windham County I much prefer though. It is true that schools are not as good as in Tolland, but thats just around Willimantic Area that schools aren't that good. Killingly and Putnam have good schools although they aren't as good as Tolland they are probably comparable to Middletown, Meriden. Probably around average. You can also o to Norwich and send kids to private schools. I always send my kids to private schools but I don't know how they are in Norwich though. Anyway I like the Killingly, Putnam area because it is kind of nice and as the previous poster said its called the quiet part of the corner. By the way I do think that overall Tolland is less populated but maybe they call Windham that is because even thought the county is less populated there is still I-84 that runs through it which is a major commute to Boston. I like Killingly area a lot though because you do have some plazas there and its a great town. The only bad thing about it is the schools aren't as great.

I also must point out that Killingly, Putnam, and Thompson are centered between three major cities: Hartford, Worcester, and Providence are all about 20- miles from there.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:22 PM

2,184 posts, read 1,641,303 times
Oops I made a mistake or probably wasn't clear. It is true that Windham County is less populated than Tolland and Litchfield, it just feels like Tolland is less populated because of the places I go. Litchfield has a but more people than Tolland as well but feels even less populated maybe because of its size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut