Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 03:24 PM

214 posts, read 427,531 times

Advertisements

This posted was written by bus man:

Actually, I would vary your boundaries a bit:

State 1 (New England): Maine to the edge of the New York City metro area in Connecticut, say just east of New Haven

State 2 (Mid Atlantic): New Haven, to somewhere immediately north of Fredericksburg, VA, plus the entire Delmarva Peninsula

State 3 (Southeast): Fredericksburg on down to Florida

The main part of the Northeast Corridor is between New York City and Washington, D.C., inclusive, plus its suburbs. These two cities anchor a unique part of the country that is distinct from any other, and it wouldn't make sense to not combine them into the same state.

Read more: Rank the Mid-Atlantic states in the order you'd want to live

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 06:07 PM

678 posts, read 846,954 times
Um, what a weird question to discuss, lol! But, I guess it's kinda interesting to see how people see things.

First off, New England are the six most American states (Shhh! I'm preaching here on purpose! ) in the country. Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut. You have regions within New England, like Western New England, Eastern New England, etc.

Connecticut has a split due to its inclusion in the NYC Greater Metro Area. Which eats three counties: Litchfield, Fairfield, and New Haven counties. With that said, these three counties are still part of New England. They're special, they get to have both titles, but, the influence of NY is visible for sure in these three counties.

Mid Atlantic includes New Jersey, MD, Delaware, parts of PA. Some will also tack on VA/WV, but, to be honest, personally, they seem more part of the South culture than Mid Atlantic.

South is Virginia and below. Basically, if your state fought for the Confederates in the Civil War, you're in the South.

So given that thread's question. This is how I'd personally split in three.

State 1: New England + NY/half of NJ/Parts of PA.

(Historically, Northeast U.S has always been ahead in development than their neighbors. I think this is the most plausible considering the extensive relationship of New England and the Tri-state Area.)

State 2: Parts of PA. MD, Delaware, WV, other half of NJ, parts of VA, D.C.

(Splitting the Mid-Atlantic states is a bit difficult and subjective. This is how I see it.)

State 3: Everything else below that Virginia line.

(I hate the South.)

Old 04-11-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Um, what a weird question to discuss, lol! But, I guess it's kinda interesting to see how people see things.

First off, New England are the six most American states (Shhh! I'm preaching here on purpose! ) in the country. Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut. You have regions within New England, like Western New England, Eastern New England, etc.

Connecticut has a split due to its inclusion in the NYC Greater Metro Area. Which eats three counties: Litchfield, Fairfield, and New Haven counties. With that said, these three counties are still part of New England. They're special, they get to have both titles, but, the influence of NY is visible for sure in these three counties.

Mid Atlantic includes New Jersey, MD, Delaware, parts of PA. Some will also tack on VA/WV, but, to be honest, personally, they seem more part of the South culture than Mid Atlantic.

South is Virginia and below. Basically, if your state fought for the Confederates in the Civil War, you're in the South.

So given that thread's question. This is how I'd personally split in three.

State 1: New England + NY/half of NJ/Parts of PA.

(Historically, Northeast U.S has always been ahead in development than their neighbors. I think this is the most plausible considering the extensive relationship of New England and the Tri-state Area.)

State 2: Parts of PA. MD, Delaware, WV, other half of NJ, parts of VA, D.C.

(Splitting the Mid-Atlantic states is a bit difficult and subjective. This is how I see it.)

State 3: Everything else below that Virginia line.

(I hate the South.)
I created this thread because the majority of Maryland, DC, and even some Virginia(seriously) posters are hellbent on trying to lump their states with us. They're hellbent on trying to lump these states with the northeast, even though history, demographics, graphically, linguistics, etc says otherwise. I wanted to hear from the perspective of fellow Connecticutians on what they think about this.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:49 PM

678 posts, read 846,954 times
Don't mind them, mate. Just because they think one way doesn't mean it's true. You know the answer yourself, so just live in peace with yourself.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:06 PM

11,296 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
I created this thread because the majority of Maryland, DC, and even some Virginia(seriously) posters are hellbent on trying to lump their states with us. They're hellbent on trying to lump these states with the northeast, even though history, demographics, graphically, linguistics, etc says otherwise. I wanted to hear from the perspective of fellow Connecticutians on what they think about this.
Politically they are like us though.....

Old 04-11-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Don't mind them, mate. Just because they think one way doesn't mean it's true. You know the answer yourself, so just live in peace with yourself.
Yea I know. It's just the whole concept is laughable.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:19 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
"They" are not trying to lump themselves in with the northeast. Have you heard of a megalopolis?

Northeast megalopolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This may be why they're mentioning it. I find it to be interesting.

History, demographics, and linguistics have less to do with it. You have some of the largest cities within close proximity of each other, chained in such a way that makes us part of the same "territory" so to speak. Geographically to me it makes sense. Here, have just a map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...egaregions.png

So I don't think much of it. It doesn't bother me. And talking about linguistics is funny. How many different accents can you pull out of a single group of friends in CT?

Old 04-11-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Politically they are like us though.....
In some regards; yes, but geographically, demographically, and most importantly, culturally, we're absolutely nothing alike. NOTHING!

Old 04-11-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
"They" are not trying to lump themselves in with the northeast. Have you heard of a megalopolis?

Northeast megalopolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This may be why they're mentioning it. I find it to be interesting.

History, demographics, and linguistics have less to do with it. You have some of the largest cities within close proximity of each other, chained in such a way that makes us part of the same "territory" so to speak. Geographically to me it makes sense. Here, have just a map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...egaregions.png

So I don't think much of it. It doesn't bother me. And talking about linguistics is funny. How many different accents can you pull out of a single group of friends in CT?
This states otherwise:
Southern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-24-2014, 05:15 PM

622 posts, read 949,041 times
Delaware, Maryland and Virginia are not part of New England. They are part of the Mid Atlantic Region along with New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and DC. However, when you are talking about the Northeastern part of the US, the Mid Atlantic States, the New England States and the Great Lakes States (Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky and Illinois) are included. Basically, anything north of the Parallel 36 30 North Line (VA/NC and KY/TN borders) and east of the Mississippi River are part of the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut